• Syncmaster - October 7, 2010 4:35 p.m.

yes! thats the Silent Hill cult I like! its incredible how no one ever says how the Silent Hill movie got the cult totally wrong. In the movie, they are the good ones, trying to banish evil, and Dahlia isnt even in the cult. The exact oposite to the cult from the games, were all they did is try to bring the gods to life
  • kyle94 - October 7, 2010 4:05 p.m.

@TheUnstableThinker: Yes, a cult in most of society is nothing more than an unacceptable, negative religious group. But that is not the historical, nor accurate definition. Jesus and his disciples were a cult. They didn't go around poisoning people, but they were a cult. It's just like how nowadays, "to decimate" means to utterly destroy, yet in the past, it meant something different. Deci means ten, and back in the Roman Empire, decimate meant "One in ten". It was a punishment for revolting villages, where one/tenth of the population would be killed. A lot different compared to the modern-day public definition.
  • stuicide - October 7, 2010 4:02 p.m.

Yeah I was expecting RE4's Los Illuminados to be mentioned. Fair point about Catholism, reminds me to play Dante's inferno again.
  • sixboxes - October 7, 2010 3:03 p.m.

debating religion on a video games website sounds like a great way to get some enlightening information, not to mention read mature expressions of well thought-out opinions.
  • norcemastero - October 7, 2010 2:01 p.m.

what? No Los Illuminados from Resident Evil 4?
  • Xleathery420X - October 7, 2010 1:36 p.m.

haha nice
  • pollenski - October 7, 2010 12:04 p.m.

Poor attempt at a jibe at Catholics, even though they are notoriously smug for believing that everyone's going to hell except for them and their paedophile shielding, homophobic head of state - if that insults you I suggest you find it in your hearts to turn the other cheek and forgive me! - back on topic where were the Order of the Hammer and Order of the Vine from the Thief series? Excellent series - might have to play them again now I thought of it
  • TheUnstableThinker - October 7, 2010 noon

Um, have to call you out there "kyle94", a cult is basically a socially unaccepted religion. Kind of funny if you look at it. Most people are brought up to believe this: Religion = Good. Cult = Bad. It is an excuse for racism and nothing more. Now I have no problem with religion with other people as long as they aren't forcing it on others, but the Roman Catholic Church killed millions of innocent people (women, children, men, young and old) during many periods of history. The Spanish Inquisition, The Salem Witch Hunts. I could go on forever but I'm sure I've bored the reader enough for now...
  • philipshaw - October 7, 2010 11:57 a.m.

When I read the headline,I knew that Unitology would be on here. Worshiping a marker just seemed dumb and you knew no good would come of it
  • asljirk - October 7, 2010 11:50 a.m.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who got the Cake reference...
  • chrisbg99 - October 7, 2010 10:53 a.m.

I kind of wonder why anyone considers it "ballsy" to make fun of the Catholic church.
  • sepirothpk - October 7, 2010 9:46 a.m.

@LastPariah The same could be said about Atheists who believe that they are superior to everyone else and try to shove their views down others' throats. Not all religion followers, not atheists are like this. However, the last one was insulting. I liked the rest of the article but the last part was a shoddy attempt at humour that only succeeds at insulting people.
  • KidKatana - October 7, 2010 9:13 a.m.

...and now that I've read it, great article! The covenant one made me chuckle. But where are Los Illuminados from Resi 4? I thought the guy in the last picture was Osmund Saddler, but actually it was just some guy who bears a striking resemblance to him.
  • KidKatana - October 7, 2010 8:55 a.m.

I just opened this article and I didn't even get a chance to read it before feeling obliged to post a comment thanking you for that Cake reference in the subtitle. Awesome band!
  • Zeb364 - October 7, 2010 8:16 a.m.

Nice article. I knew Fallout 3 would be in this article and surprisingly my first instinct was not the Childern of Atom but in fact The Treeminders. Once I thought about it though I realized that their far from the worst. It totally should be the Apostles of the Holy Light or the Point Lookout Tribals. I mean one of them requires their members to drink irradiated water until they mutate and the other's members drug themselves, get lobotomized, and then follow orders from a brain in a jar. I'd say that's worse than a bunch of dillusional hippies with lame-ass names. Great ending by the way.
  • QWERTYCommander - October 7, 2010 7:30 a.m.

That last part: Balls. Pure Balls. Can I make 9/11 jokes now?
  • jmcgrotty - October 7, 2010 6:42 a.m.

Anyone who is offended by any word of this is just a poopypants. I actually am happy to see the lack of outrage over any part of this (though I am disappointed that only one person complained about the Believes/belief mistake at the beginning). And the only difference between a cult and a religion is what side of the fence you stand on. It all comes down to who writes the history books.
  • Cwf2008 - October 7, 2010 4:07 a.m.

The thing is...im Catholic but i know a good laugh when i see one. Is the last entry offensive? I think the real question should be "Was it funny?" If so, then it was effective
  • flyboyj65 - October 7, 2010 3:39 a.m.

Is it me, or does Halo's Covenant seem similar to The Catholic church during the Crusades? They're both powerful politically, militarily and spiritually, they deal with heretics cruelly, and they wage a war against another religion/species/race in the name of their God. They both even use "The Gods Will It" as a battlecry and a reason for their destruction
  • Fusionmix - October 7, 2010 3:21 a.m.

I know so many people who went atheist because of Catholic school or Catholic church. In my opinion, it's a corrupt institution. Great article ;)