• soggysage - January 5, 2012 7:56 a.m.

I'll agree with Cundy as well with L.A Noire. It's possibly the only game that I haven't finished and never will due to how utterly boring it is.
  • FanofSaiyan - January 5, 2012 5:30 a.m.

The real question Mr. Buttercup is whether you wanted to slowly shuffle through a crowded, narrow city instead of running free in a lush countryside. Constantinople just wasn't made for horses... Thank goodness that was the only gripe with Revelations.
  • inkyspot - January 5, 2012 4:38 a.m.

The Bloodrayne article was particularly funny. I really had the idea that LA Noire was boring, I will eventually play it, I am just afraid to buy it; I really need to start renting games. Sad about Gears 3, but I will eventually get it, since I have the other 2.... just waiting for a really low price drop... I got Enslave for 9 dollars.... is that too much?
  • Y2Ken - January 5, 2012 1:46 a.m.

I really can't follow Dave's Gears problems. Perhaps it's because I never played through the game by myself, but rather with 2 and later 4 players. Perhaps it's also because I never played it on lower than Hardcore - I feel Epic did a reasonable job (apart from naming them completely incorrectly) making it clear that "Normal" was designed for Casual players, and "Casual" is for people who are pretty much new to games and haven't gotten used to two stick movement. That said, if your main complaint was that it was too easy, wouldn't it have made sense to just turn up the difficulty? Four player Insane was doable, but still quite challenging at times. Also it seems strange to fault them for making so many ways to play the game with friends: between campaign, Horde, Beast and online there's about the biggest variety of fun multiplayer action of any game this year. I'll point out here that I played all three entries in the series for the first time this year and for my money the story, while not as good as some other games this year, is by far the strongest and most memorable of the trilogy. I do wish they'd tied up more of the loose ends but they still have DLC left to come out so here's hoping. Gears 3 isn't my fave game of the year, and I understand that this list is about personal disappointment. I just find some of your arguments a little flimsy (from a journo who sometimes has some of the strongest and most well-thought-out comments on the media).
  • CitizenWolfie - January 5, 2012 1:25 a.m.

Totally agree with Lorenzo (although I loved Black Ops). MW3 for me was a big let down. I really enjoyed the single player and the special ops are OK but the multiplayer is a real mess. Here's hoping Treyarch will improve it with Black Ops 2 (if that's what they do.) Have to say I loved LA Noire though. One of my favourites of 2011. It felt like an old school point n' click adventure more than anything. I was very disappointed with RAGE as it felt like a poor FRPRG clone (albeit with pretty good shooting mechanics). The missions felt repetitive, there seemed to be some bizarre difficulty spikes and the much-hyped graphics looked like sludge up close. Skyrim has been a slight let down for me as well. I haven't been playing very long so I can't judge fully but the engine doesn't seem that far advanced from Fallout and the graphics seem to have a bit of a plastic sheen to them. Maybe I need to give it more time though.
  • c-c-c-combo breaker - January 5, 2012 6:34 a.m.

I agree, it was a let down, but Blops 2? Really? Black Ops did for Call of duty what Black/white did for pokemon. Made it shit
  • CitizenWolfie - January 5, 2012 8:21 a.m.

Well I can't speak for Pokemon but I did like Black Ops. I preferred the campaign, the MP maps, the weapons, the customisation and the killstreaks. I also liked that you didn't drop down dead after 1-3 bullets. It seems Treyarch's games always get put down put each to their own I guess.
  • ParagonT - January 5, 2012 10:32 a.m.

I think how Treyarch has their developed games set up is indeed more fluid than Infinity Ward's. Anyone else notice that? It just seems so less.... hit boxy.... I do like Modern Warfare's "grittiness" but that's just me.
  • CitizenWolfie - January 6, 2012 5:55 a.m.

I think on the whole, Black Ops was pretty well balanced. I can appreciate MW3 adding different classes for kill/pointstreaks but all that seems to have done is filled the skies with UAVs and Osprey Gunners in addition to the already-prevalent predators and AC130s. I do like the "grittiness" but none of MW3's missions were quite as cool as infiltrating a Vietnamese soldier base or sneaking up the river.
  • Net_Bastard - January 5, 2012 10:55 a.m.

Almost every Pokemon fan agrees that B/W was the best game in the series.
  • samsneeze - January 6, 2012 2:19 a.m.

Exactly how did Pokemon Black/White make Pokemon "shit"?
  • coltsfanca - January 4, 2012 11:50 p.m.

LA Noire wasn't really boring for me...I just got frustrated with getting the interrogations wrong and eventually gave up. The biggest let down for me though was definitely MW3...this was basically Modern Warfare 2.5. The single player was ok, but beatable in about 5 hours, and multiplayer is the exact same with different maps and perks. I thought I bought a completely new game, but all I bought was an expansion pack.
  • shawksta - January 4, 2012 11:39 p.m.

I have to agree with Cundy, here I thought I was looking at a possible Rated M Phoenix Wright ace attorney, but mother of god it was BORING, the only interesting thing was the second case where the guy faked his death and his wife seemed guilty, otherwise I got bored, third case ended up obvious, and I just stopped during the 4th case. Maybe, just Maybe I need to give this game more time, its well worth the praose, but otherwise, CSI Fatal conspiracy was More interesting. I like the Unique choices you guys made, Giving the editors a personal pick is something we need to see more often.
  • kjdubz22 - January 4, 2012 11:38 p.m.

I'm with everyone on the Gears 3 disappointment. I love Horde mode and the new additions to it were cool, but I don't play much of the online multiplayer, and the single player I look forward to for fun action and exciting set pieces. Gears was my late night game that I played til I passed out, and maybe it was me being tired, or it was because the campaign was so unmemorable, but I can't remember much about it at all. I feel like that answers it for me. Also, Crysis 2 didn't blow me away like I thought it would. I couldn't finish it or L.A. Noire. I guess I'm on everyone's bangwagon. Oh, and Portal 2 sucked. I'm kidding, I'm kidding. Don't ban me GR.
  • jordanmandrusiak - January 4, 2012 11:29 p.m.

I have L.A. Noire now and, I'm actually liking it, people say its boring and such, because of why, because they are more into action so, they should play it, but if you like scientific stuff and also, forensic science this is a game for you. And For people saying who plays gears for the story its about multiplayer, if you wanted just a multiplayer game, it wouldn't be fun at all, because then you would be like, "who are these people I'm shooting at?" for MW3 yes it was actually rather boring and just blah, with multiplayer, but i only got it for the story because i liked the story from Cod4, to MW3,and also Gears 1-3, i like the story, about Gears 3, i haven't played yet, but i want to, i wanna know end of the story
  • kor2disturbed - January 4, 2012 11:23 p.m.

David Houghton, I completely agree with you. I've said it before, Gears of War is my favorite series ever, Gears 3 isn't bad at least in its multiplayer mode, but it's absolutely crap compared to the first two. As much as it pains me to say it Gears 3 was a disappointment, and I feel like crying everytime I think about it. As for my biggest disappointment, Well Battlefield 3's campaign was sucked ass but my biggest disappointment had to be Saints Row: The third. I hated everything about that game. It had boring and uninspired missions (for the most part) a lot of them were just side missions, which weren't any fun either. Crap shooting and controls, boring world, boring characters, boring weapons, boring vehicles, boring game. Even the humor was stale and fell completely flat almost everytime and I'm the kind of guy who enjoys that kind of humor. Thank God I only rented. I have no idea how that got a 10 from you guys.
  • TheZigMan - January 4, 2012 11:06 p.m.

LA noire was terrible. Maybe the least amount of fun I've ever had in a triple A video game
  • DevonOO7 - January 4, 2012 10:55 p.m.

Uncharted 3 was a big let down for me. The stale gameplay did not evolve enough from Uncharted 2. Even the story, which was my favorite thing about UC2, was bland and uninteresting. Other than the intros, the few multiplayer maps did not live up to the hype as most of the maps from UC2 are still better than the new ones. Uncharted 3 may have a better singleplayer than Gears, but it just doesn't have the lasting appeal.
  • Errrrbo - January 4, 2012 10:52 p.m.

Aww, was Catherine not politically correct enough for you, Charlie?
  • closer2192 - January 4, 2012 9:59 p.m.

Gotta agree with LA Noire. It wasn't bad, but trying to find all of the clues was frustrating, and so was talking to suspects. The "reading reactions" thing was pretty frustrating sometimes. Also, as you guys pointed out, I've never seen a major city that was so boring, especially in video games. GTA: Bumfuck might have had more to do.