Topics

WTF

• AngryScotsman - February 9, 2011 12:19 p.m.

Also: “Remi Sklar, the vice president of Public Relations at Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment, which makes numerous video games (though is unconnected to Bulletstorm), offered the following statement: “We don’t have a comment for that story.”” That is almost too good to be true.
  • AngryScotsman - February 9, 2011 11:47 a.m.

Well, them there Assassin's Creed Blood Murder 4000X games be teachin' them how to climb in yo windows and snatch yo people up. HIDE YO WIFE. HIDE YO KIDS.
  • johnius - February 9, 2011 10:19 a.m.

It's true. I know every time I complete one of the sex minigames in God of War, instead of making me laugh it absolutely, 100%, makes me horny as hell for rape. Rape, rape, rape. All I can think about. Maybe I should sue Sony. Or at least write them a letter to let them know they're training a generation of rapists. Rape.
  • sgtbobie - February 9, 2011 9:42 a.m.

I have to laugh everytime I read a load of bollox like this, most of the time its a fox news article, go figure. I've been gaming for years and have never had to urge to sexually assualt someone. The other thing is, oddly enough, Dr. Carole actually made a very valid point, it is the failure of many retailers in ensuring mature rated games are not sold to minors. Of course it is also the failure of many parents. It's a computer game, all games are for kids, hence there couldn't be anything wrong with giving a kid an M rated game. Some parents need to wise up, gaming covers a lot of area from toddlers to adults. Example, when GTA Vice City came out, my cousin was 11 at the time and he wanted it. So my aunt askes me what the deal is with this game. So I tell her straight, this is not a game for a child, it is rated 18 (Irish & UK rating) for a reason. So she agrees with me and that was that. That is of course until two weeks later when she bought it for him. WTF?! Just to cap off, my cousin hasn't become a car stealing, hooker murderer. Interesting. Anyway, rant over. :D
  • DrFred79 - February 9, 2011 9:13 a.m.

If you change the letters in her name it says : Dr. Stupid Bitch... Coincidence ? I don't think so !
  • somerandomchap - February 9, 2011 9:08 a.m.

I hope she gets raped with a controller.
  • Pytor - February 9, 2011 9:03 a.m.

Tyler, if I were gay or a women... I'd totally want to design Linux programs with you!
  • Zeb364 - February 9, 2011 8:04 a.m.

She's just desperate for attention and income because her books don't sell for shit. I work at a book store which has some of her books on its shelves and they never move.
  • oryandymackie - February 9, 2011 8 a.m.

Just ignore this woman. She's certifiably insane.
  • TheCanuck - February 9, 2011 7:52 a.m.

Its shit like this that really irks me. We get a bad wrap just because we are the newest medium. We don't have the prestige of theater and acting, nor the lineage of Music. As a young medium we haven't had a chance to show what we can do yet. And people like this are just looking for an easy outlet.
  • SCRubS77 - February 9, 2011 7:44 a.m.

"Sexual scenes" are such a rarity in games as it is, I can hardly see them causing an increase in anything.
  • Hobogonigal - February 9, 2011 7:42 a.m.

Can anyone name 10 out of the hundreds of mainstream games that contain sexual scenes &/ or rape? I play a lot of games and I can name 2, 3 maybe...
  • FVDub - February 9, 2011 7:35 a.m.

Can you imagine Fox News bringing in this "psychiatrist" to denounce Bulletstorm ala Mass Effect and then bringing in Cliffy B to try and defend the game? Cliffy: My game may drive you to commit genocide against aliens by shooting their testicles, blowing up their friends in giant chain grenade explosions, and kicking theminto giant spikes, pits, carnivorous plants and/or electrical boxes, but it does not contain rape! That would be the only time I watch Fox News.
  • Unoriginal - February 9, 2011 7:35 a.m.

If you played a video game with a sex scene and suddenly became a rapist, that is not the games fault, obviously you're f*cking nuts.
  • AGENTJORRRG - February 9, 2011 7:26 a.m.

OOWHAAT?? FOX NEWS FEAR MONGERING FOR RATINGS?? WELL I NEVER!! Yeah, there's no point even arguing the rational side anymore. I wonder how much that psychiatrist was paid?
  • CandiedJester - February 9, 2011 6:30 a.m.

People who complain about video games just don't play enough video games. It's that simple. For one they hardly have the kind of outlet that gaming provides, and for two they are completely in the dark about the reality of video games, and if you make claims about something you know absolutely nothing about you are just being ignorant and stupid. The real reasons for an increase in rape are likely sociological, economical, or some such thing of that nature. I am sure real people with real degrees who have done real research can give you a real answer. Stop blaming games for things and give them a try maybe, eh? You uptight people just need to play them and see for yourself. To be honest TV and movies are can be just as violent and sexual but of course they don't get the blame because people like this actually watch TV and movies, and they wouldn't blame something they actually like. :P
  • billywitchdr - February 9, 2011 6:28 a.m.

The only bad thing about Bulletstorm is the controls. Stupid people blaming us for people problems. Again.
  • Lacerate - February 9, 2011 6:21 a.m.

This reminds me of the Mass Effect controversy, I guess this Carole Lieberman is the new Cooper Lawrence. I'm amazed this woman's books on amazon even sold with the sweeping generalizations she seems to make.
  • StoneDreadnaught - February 9, 2011 6:07 a.m.

Geezus Christ why hasn't the news gotten over this hump already? Fantasy does NOT equal Reality! Why is this so hard for FOX and the mainstream to grasp? Ugh, I can't wait for this game-hating generation of adults to be dead and gone... @ThatGuyFromTV - /agree. They've done a great job making sure this game has all kinds of coverage. Duty Calls, The Halo Believe parody trailer; Brilliant!
  • Clovin64 - February 9, 2011 6:04 a.m.

This woman is a disgrace to her profession. Making sweeping claims such as "videogames have caused an increase in rape" and failing to provide evidence or a source to back up this claim? How could anybody take that seriously?