• Plan10FromOuterSpace - September 10, 2011 2:15 a.m.

Kinda liking the new look, not 100% sold yet as the channels did work quite well but I dont think they where perfect, ill wait to see it in action. Also im really happy to see the better social features, hopefully as they add more and more they will improve beyond the ones listed. If they can nail the social aspect then the one thing id like to see xbox live doing is offering steam like price fluctuations, so content is constantly rotated through the limelight.
  • CitizenWolfie - September 10, 2011 1:13 a.m.

Dare I say it, but from the screens it looks a teeny bit like the XMB... Actually I'm one of the idiots who bought a Windows 7 Phone and I've got to say, everything about the interface of the new dashboard reeks of the WP7 OS. It's not necessarily a bad thing, just that you are rather limited to the sh!t Microsoft use. I mean seriously, Bing? I'd rather search for stuff manually in a library than bother with Bing. I wonder if MS will start having cross-compatible apps between XBL and WP7... I'm liking the Facebook/Achievement sync though. As others have mentioned however, I've got a few themes installed so hopefully they will work. Otherwise it'd be jolly nice of Microsoft to refund the 200 points or so to repurchase new ones. I know, I know, gamer demands a refund (rolls eyes) but since it was their decision to change it, if we can no longer use stuff we've paid for it seems only fair. TL:DR - Hmmmmm *cynicism*
  • 435 - September 10, 2011 2:21 a.m.

Expect a lot more on this interface. Win 8 is set to use it, too.
  • d0x - September 10, 2011 12:02 p.m.

That looks nothing like the XMB
  • Kethmach - September 10, 2011 7:42 p.m.

Umm.... I'm on my PS3 weekly, not everyday, but I can safely say it looks NOTHING like XMB.
  • CitizenWolfie - September 11, 2011 12:27 a.m.

Jesus H. I didn't say it looked EXACTLY like the XMB. I meant it more that there are similarities - you know, like the fact that both interfaces have things like "games," "video," "music" etc arranged horizontally. It was only a whimsical observation guys.
  • cchen04 - September 10, 2011 1:03 a.m.

Not too bothered by it really. At the end of the day, the point is that it can still play games right? This is just Microsoft putting the Xbox in line with the direction of the rest of it's portfolio. Go look at Windows Phone 7 and the upcoming Windows 8. It's metro interface all the way for Microsoft, and personally, I quite like it.
  • Fuzunga - September 9, 2011 11:59 p.m.

I don't care about this stuff. All I want is to be able to play games/play them with friends. My 360 already does that. It has always done that. It was fine out of the box when I got it five years ago.
  • TheoneandonlyPym - September 9, 2011 11:57 p.m.

NOOOOOO. PLEASEB GOD NO. I DON'T NEED THIS.
  • ThatGuyFromTV - September 9, 2011 10:53 p.m.

Hang on, I cant find the play game button on the first screen... oh wait I found it, it's just being eclipsed by the other 80% of the screen that's being used for ads. Christ, they're getting so invasive with the ads I swear they're going to make us watch ads just to start up our games with the update after this one. Do they actually think we want to watch and read those ads? Actually now that I think about it, wasn't there a feature that GR did that said just that? Oh, and the beacon idea is ace, so I guess it isn't all bad. Until you have to watch ads to put the beacon up.
  • cart00n - September 9, 2011 10:48 p.m.

Color me apprehensive...
  • erreip199 - September 9, 2011 8:30 p.m.

This made me remember an issue i havent had time to resolve with M$: i didnt log in into live for almost a year and when i decide to check my acount online out of the blue, i realise i didnt have any MS points left (i had 40$ worth) i was confused so i decided to check my purchase history if anything was wrong.... Apparently, somehow i bought SSF4AE for PC with those points, which i never did! Im not even able to download the game on the computer either! Weird stuff huh?
  • Kethmach - September 10, 2011 12:19 p.m.

Yeah, weird. Sounds like b&#(##t too.
  • Ironarm - September 9, 2011 8 p.m.

Looks to be solid. I hope my custom themes can transfer though. If not it wouldn't be the end of the world. I just want fast performance and the ease to play my games. I also hope that Xbox can get my account back to me after it got hacked. Otherwise this update will be moot for me without my account.
  • Ensoul - September 9, 2011 7:59 p.m.

"Are you excited or apprehensive about the new Xbox Live update? Is this a step forward or back?" Apprehensive. Like many have already mentioned there's an Ad taking centre stage, it looks like the Dashboard themes are going to be pucked again (I have a very nice limbo one I enjoy, as well as some PD ones) and it's kinect heavy. I have a kinect, and while it's interesting anything outside a kinect specific game is very limited. The netflix integration alone is so limited it has me wondering why they bothered. Social intergration wise I already have an account with Raptr.com; which is pretty cool and already updates Facebook with achievement notices. It actually works well and doesn't spam my wall crazily. If they could somehow get twitter to work they way it should (i.e. not run as a stand alone thing) then at least that be something. About the only thing that has me remotely interested is the promise of a speedier menu loading. Here in Canada we don't even have all this Hulu and ESPN access and it can still take an annoying amount of time for things to load up. Maybe the updated Kinect support too, if only so I can do more then yell Xbox! Play! and Pause!
  • Iwillspoonyou - September 9, 2011 5:39 p.m.

Is this why they raised the price of Xbox Live?!
  • Manguy17 - September 9, 2011 5:35 p.m.

is it wrong that im opposed to having a giant fat ad taking centre stage, rather than the play game option?
  • thatblindgamer - September 9, 2011 5:18 p.m.

I'm not sure how I feel about this update, it does feel like something more for those who own kinect though. Hopefully, my themes will still work.
  • Markoose16 - September 9, 2011 4:57 p.m.

I don't really like it as it seems to have been created with only kinect in mind. Surprisingly Microsoft not everyone wants your overpriced, limited potential toy. From looking at it, I don't really understand how I'm going to be navigating it. How do you switch tabs, with the bumpers? Having everything in a rectangle is not an easy way to navigate with an actual controller. I do not like this at all, I like it when they give it a revamp but this is clearly made for Kinect and not the controller where every single xbox has at least one of them.
  • angelusdlion - September 9, 2011 7:17 p.m.

How is this made with just knect in mind? Every feature, even the voice search, looks like it can be done without knect.. I mean hello, you do have a microphone right?