• someonetgsn - May 15, 2013 8:48 p.m.

I suppose that this does not mean that EA will remove online pass requirements for existing titles though, right?
  • P0ck3tC1am - May 15, 2013 8:53 p.m.

Could be a cool possibility, but I doubt they will.
  • GamesRadarCollanderCooper - May 15, 2013 7:52 p.m.

They're online pass hipsters. They were into it first but now that everybody else is doing they don't like it anymore
  • Sy87 - May 15, 2013 7:43 p.m.

Now if they can stop the bullshit like in Mass Effect 3 and Dead Space 3. Why do I need to use real money to get extra stuff. Yeah I glitch Dead Space. I don't need to buy your stupid resource pack.
  • Sinosaur - May 15, 2013 7:56 p.m.

If you're talking about buying extra packs in Mass Effect 3's multiplayer, I disagree. I think it was actually a really good way to let people who just couldn't wait to get a few more things spend a small amount of money to get it. None of the stuff in the packs was paid exclusive, and it helped give them an incentive to release free extra content for a full year afterward. If you're talking about single player guns and outfits... never cared for those, but it never hurt my enjoyment.
  • Sy87 - May 15, 2013 8:09 p.m.

Yes the multiplayer packs. I just hate the roulette of it all. I have weapons upgraded more than the weapons I do use. I would have preferred a Halo:Reach styled unlocking stuff. The really good stuff just be more expansive. I can deal with some randomness but do something else with upgrading, unlocking characters and appearance. I stop playing just because I got tired of playing with characters I didn't really care for.
  • someonetgsn - May 15, 2013 9:02 p.m.

I agree, those DLC were implemented correctly. The multiplayer packs are not even worth paying for in real money in my opinion anyways, and I can live without the guns and outfits. The extra episodes however would have been nice to have in the main game, but without DLC, they would not exist, so there is no justified complaints there.
  • beezn - May 15, 2013 7:23 p.m.

game stop gives you online pass codes with their used games for free, so I won't notice a difference.
  • tichtat - May 15, 2013 7:16 p.m.

I still say EA isn't the biggest asshole in the industry.
  • King L0uis II - May 15, 2013 7:11 p.m.

You see, his statement highlights the main problem with video game makers and content providers. "...a cool way to package up online services and content." In other words: "How we got you to pay for what should have been free."
  • Sinosaur - May 15, 2013 8 p.m.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with the idea that online service should have been free if you bought it used. It's a complex situation with no single correct answer, because although someone did pay for the game, if you bought it used, you didn't give them any money. Unless you give your money to a company, you're not actually their customer. But then you end up having to get into a whole debate about actually owning a product and licensing it, which becomes a whole lot more awkward when the product includes continued service.
  • someonetgsn - May 15, 2013 9:15 p.m.

I completely agree. However, just because there is a good reason to implement online passes, does not mean people will like or react well to it though. Despite this however, the quote "We thought it was a cool way to package up online services and content," is PR nonsense. Making people pay more for the same is not cool. It is a method of profiting from the used games market. I did not like online passes but they are a grey area of buisness indeed.
  • Sinosaur - May 15, 2013 9:52 p.m.

I do agree, anytime marketing uses the word "cool" they're using it wrong. Unless they're advertising a Fonzie simulator.
  • death4us - May 15, 2013 7:05 p.m.

OMG EA is listening to the consumer what is next making great games too!!??
  • MadMan - May 15, 2013 6:54 p.m.

I don't understand this... Is EA actually listening to the consumer? I never thought I would see this.
  • MadMan - May 15, 2013 6:56 p.m.

Although to be honest online passes never bothered me, I always buy my games new.
  • someonetgsn - May 15, 2013 9:18 p.m.

You know? I did not really see it coming either. I thought they were used to the bad press by now. They pushed it pretty far, I do not think this will change public opinion much. Though I suppose there is a limit to how much bad press a company can take before they finally fold.
  • Jacko415 - May 15, 2013 9:53 p.m.

Looks like 2 golden poos in a row woke them up a wee bit. Hopefully...