Topics

E3 Nintendo

• reach110 - June 7, 2011 11:39 p.m.

So a new, weird controller is the main focus of the new console. And "new" games are coming out with the system, featuring a familiar protagonist rescuing a familiar princess from a familiar villain. But with better graphics. Nintendo gamers have been playing the same game since 1985, just with different controllers. I fail to see how Nintendo "won" anything this year.
  • gamingfreak - June 7, 2011 11:21 p.m.

Same pwer level as PS3/360? 1080p? HDMI?....YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ThatGuyFromTV - June 7, 2011 10:59 p.m.

I love the controller design, but I think they should make it a tad bit wider. it looks like the ABXY buttons and the d-pad are gonna be hell to reach when you position your hands to be able to comfortably reach the control sticks. Also, could you get a picture of the back of the controller? I wanna see the placement of the shoulder buttons on this behemoth controller.
  • arguseyed - June 7, 2011 10:55 p.m.

@BladedFalcon, you wrote, "At best, it's finally able to compete with the other 5 year old consoles, but that's pretty much it." The Wii was the best selling home console of its generation. Not only did Nintendo compete over the last 5 years - they dominated. @wesser22, you wrote: "Having AAA 3rd party titles is a must for this thing to stand a chance." Many gamers feel that the Wii didn't get AAA 3rd party titles. But, the Wii sold more units than the Xbox 360 or Playstation 3. So, I don't think this is an issue for Nintendo.
  • TheHungryLemur - June 7, 2011 10:36 p.m.

Not going to lie... I peed a little with the prototype Zelda clip came on at the end. I'm really exited and I don't know why. I didn't even pay attention to the Wii when I got the PS3. In fact, I was going to get a Move soon. So does it support 1080p or 720p?
  • Markoose16 - June 7, 2011 10:03 p.m.

It certainly looks interesting and I'm hoping that Zelda tech demo actually turns into a real Zelda game. I'm a little disappointed that the Graphics aren't much better than 360/PS3 as I expect in the next year or two Sony and Microsoft will reveal their next consoles. They did confuse the hell out of me in the conference as at first I thought, is this the new console? Then is it a new controller for the Wii? Then is this controller the new console? It would have been a lot easier if they had the hardware in the conference too, even if it was a prototype.
  • SparkleDevon - June 7, 2011 9:56 p.m.

I hate the perfect-D-Pad-like setup for abxy but, considering I have a 3DS and all I should probably get used to it. I liked how the gamecube controller had the abxy much more. just easier for me to get into a game with.anyways, SMASHBROS FORTHEWIN
  • glasspantsss - June 7, 2011 9:52 p.m.

It seems really sexy and interesting. I'm personally still coming down from the excitement that they want to get with the current gen presentation and graphics. I'm not confident it'll capture the same feel as playing on a regular controller, but seriously, I've been waiting for an RPG with all the battle elements and item management on a different screen for a while. Can't wait to see what happens next.
  • Tranquilbez34 - June 7, 2011 9:45 p.m.

The HD visuals have done it for me :) Maybe more hardcore titles like Battlefield and Mass effect can make it on the System
  • FAT47ITY - June 7, 2011 9:44 p.m.

well played, Nintendo well played indeed
  • lilbuddha - June 7, 2011 9:30 p.m.

So its a Wii, with the power of a 360/PS3, but you have to buy what is essentially a Tablet to get the full experience ? No thanks.
  • Jaces - June 7, 2011 9:30 p.m.

I actually like the design of the new controller, looks more comfortable instead of being forced to play with the wiimote, I understand you could plug in gamecube controllers but come on, I want a next gen console with a next gen controller. They've finally answered my prayers! I WILL be buying this day one. Finally going to have all 3 consoles in my household, can't wait to get back into Zelda, Metriod Prime, Super Smash, and the crap load of mario games that, funny enough, never seem to get old. :D I'm a happy gamer right about now.
  • Burdmayn - June 7, 2011 9:01 p.m.

I'll admit that I was extremely worried about the Wii U when they first started showing it. I felt they gave a really strong impression that there was no new console at all, just a controller. But with confirmation of strong third party support, a controller that remains kind of gimmicky but still has full functionality, and HD graphics, they have me sold.
  • QWERTYCommander - June 7, 2011 8:51 p.m.

I just noticed that putting a hyphen between the Wii and the U makes the name look a lot cooler. Wii-U. Makes the name 100 times better. Also, I'm growing a bit accustomed to saying Wii-U out loud. Sounds kinda like a badass robot. I still think that they should either shrink the monitor a bit, or take it out of the controller altogether. It would sure make the thing a lot more appealing! The specs... well I can't comment on that since the clock speed of the CPU isn't shown.
  • wesser22 - June 7, 2011 8:47 p.m.

@Mule, Nintys 'cleverness' has kept them in this game nealry twice as long as any of their rivals. No compancy is sacred enough to warrant automatic gold star praise, but you never, EVER, bet against Nintendo. Having AAA 3rd party titles is a must for this thing to stand a chance. The one thing Sony/MS can def do better is online/multiplayer. Ninty are gonna have to pull a massive rabbit out of the hat to get Wii U to compete with Xbox Live and PSN(when it works) ;-)
  • BladedFalcon - June 7, 2011 8:44 p.m.

Nice to see a lot of people are already on the hype Train. Did no one learn anything with the Wii? just like then, people immediately jumped in on the idea.... then the rest was history. of course, I know that fanboys will gobble up anything Nintendo throws at them, but acting like this combination of an I-pad with a traditional controller is gonna revolutionize gaming is frankly delusional. At best, it's finally able to compete with the other 5 year old consoles, but that's pretty much it.
  • CoryM1134 - June 7, 2011 8:39 p.m.

@ Hammish- You make a valued and well articulated point. I don't think I ever would have thought of that, but I couldn't agree more. WII U WII U WII U WII U
  • Dragonflame - June 7, 2011 8:25 p.m.

MuleVariant: IGN has been ahnds on with the controller, guess what they said. They said it is suprisingly light and comfortable...wow shocker, like Nintedno did not test the controller when they designed it... Also it is called innovation not cleverness and it is what Nintendo needs. Really would it be any fun if all 3 never did anything new?
  • MuleVariant - June 7, 2011 8:21 p.m.

That controller is HUGE! There is no way that people will be comfortable playing any of the new games with that for any stretch of time. The visuals were fine, but I just don't understand why Nintendo thinks they have to put cleverness above gameplay. Was the Wiimote clever? Sure. Was it fun? Not really. Not past the first few months. After that most people went back to what is comfortable to play. Please don't reward Nintendo's "cleverness" again, it only encourages them.
  • gamebrain8505 - June 7, 2011 8:20 p.m.

At first I was like... Damn this gimmicky shit, this is crap, pure nonsense! Then I tought "gee, some good games..." Now I see how awesome this console could actually be, just change the wii-like style