• TURbo - April 20, 2010 2:12 a.m.

@WhiteCoco some people like to prove their hobbies are the besterest at the expense of being a mega asshole.
  • TURbo - April 20, 2010 2:11 a.m.

Yet this article will be linked to Ebert's twitter with comments like "See games are art!" When its mainly about the gamers.
  • WhiteCoco - April 20, 2010 2:10 a.m.

Why are gamers so prickly about the opinions of one man or any man/woman/child about their hobby? Who cares if it isn't art or if it is for that matter? They're games, we play them for fun; if you infer art from certain sequences or from its totality, that's your perception. Honestly, let's just pack our bags, cross the bridge and leave the troll behind.
  • TURbo - April 20, 2010 2:07 a.m.

Yet this article is being used for it to be linked to @ebertchicago on twitter as I type, when this article is about the gaming community that is like "GAMES ARE ART, GAMES ARE ART, GAMES ARE ART!" on people that don't consider videogames as art. I like to play my games and play games with people that like to play the same games I play.
  • R_U_Guys_From_British - April 20, 2010 2:07 a.m.

Damn, I'm loving these Sterling articles when they do pop up.
  • R_U_Guys_From_British - April 20, 2010 2:06 a.m.

Damn, I'm loving these Stirling articles when they pop up.
  • Blasto - April 20, 2010 2:04 a.m.

@oswaldleon Are you Ebert? You are just as good at trolling as he is. I should also say that I agree with Jim Sterling and that I hope we see more articles from him on gamesradar in the future.
  • oswaldleon - April 20, 2010 1:59 a.m.

most gamers know nothing about general art, yet want games to be considered art...strange. Ebert even said, why do gamers care is it's consider art.
  • TURbo - April 20, 2010 1:49 a.m.

But why can't we let the videogame Jesus into Ebert's heart?
  • SoutheastSam - April 20, 2010 1:48 a.m.

You can't trust this guy with anything. He picked "Death at a Funeral" over "Kick-Ass." I think he just likes to troll.
  • JustTheBoBreaker - April 20, 2010 1:39 a.m.

Great article. I hope you stay with GR
  • ThePrivateDick - April 20, 2010 1:36 a.m.

If it truly doesn't matter what Mr. Ebert thinks, then why write this rebuttal to reaffirm the opinions of the people who visit this website? Aren't you, Mr. Sterling, no better? For those who look up to Roger Ebert, does it really matter what YOU think? I don't happen to agree with Ebert's opinions either, but the best thing to do in situations like these is to ignore him completely. If you like video games, fine, enjoy them, revel in the joy they give you. Ebert's opinion shouldn't invalidate the love you have for them. Anyways, a well written article.
  • n00b - April 20, 2010 1:36 a.m.

@philiptomlinson "sneer at them for their idiocy" i like that thats what I'll do
  • n00b - April 20, 2010 1:32 a.m.

this isnt the first article that i read that came to this conclusion but i agree with it non the less
  • SonicAcorn - April 20, 2010 1:31 a.m.

I agree with the man. Games will be as close to art as chess as long as we remain obsessed with winning. Gameplay is just a means to propel the story, and the two never seem to be seamlessly joined. I think some of the more artistic flash games have come close to becoming art, especially the more experimental ones. Air Pressure (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/529708) jumps to mind as it's more of an experience than a game. I don't know if stuff like this will translate well when it gets upscaled, but it seems like the right direction if we want games to be truly art. reCaptcha: even historic. Well, probably not.
  • Aeshir - April 20, 2010 1:27 a.m.

"However, the community cannot say that it didn't ask for this recent tirade. As Ebert states, he has been contacted multiple times by game fans who are desperately seeking the old man's approval." I love the fact that he might have done it just because someone on the internet told him to. I guess he thought that his opinion really mattered just because somebody happened to ask him. That's like if someone on the internet told me to go fuck a dog. It wouldn't make my opinion on the topic of games as art any more valid. Or my opinion on dog sex. Where did this comment go wrong?
  • peace4me - April 20, 2010 1:22 a.m.

Amen! Nice article Mr. Sterling
  • philiptomlinson - April 20, 2010 1:20 a.m.

In the UK, we have the problem of Mark Kermode - excellent film critic, but the first game he played was Wii Sports during an episode of Newsnight, and he instantly dismissed the entire medium based on feckless old-man preconceptions. It isn't enough to ignore these people, but you are absolutely right that we shouldn't let them rile us. Instead we should be secure enough to sneer at them for their idiocy, to engage with them when they show that they are willing to approach a new medium and to deride them as senile old farts when they don't have the basic courtesy to play the games they're railing against.
  • Cyberninja - April 20, 2010 1:07 a.m.

after playing blazblue for about 5 hours i would say that games are art because it looks so nice that plus i rather be playing a game than looking at a painting
  • Blasto - April 20, 2010 1:03 a.m.

"Ebert actively revels in upsetting gamers. He boasts on Twitter about being disagreed with, and goads the community with his perpetual statements. Evoking an image of the perfect troll, he successfully plays the hardcore gamer crowd like a Casio Songbank. Here we are, Pavlov's dogs, we drool and bark as soon as he starts ringing the same bell we've heard a dozen times before." Holy shit! Ebert is actually jim sterling in disguise.