Topics

From Software

We Recommend

• winner2 - December 10, 2012 2:25 p.m.

We'll have to wait for gameplay vids and/or a demo. I hope it's not too different, one of my favorite parts of both souls is how there is zero handholding. A few tutorial messages on the ground here...an enemy there...traps there...a super boss here...an asshole invader there...hidden goodie here...no handholding whatsoever, you had to pick it up and win on your own. Hell, half the crap in that game barely makes sense until you try it. Now that being said I really hope they don't dash my hopes.
  • obviouslyadouche - December 10, 2012 2:18 p.m.

I'm uneasy about this, I normally hate it when games hide things but it's just part of the dark souls experience, learning that cutting the tail of a boss gives you a weapon was one of the best things, and i just don't know if that will happen with this new direction.
  • BladedFalcon - December 10, 2012 1:44 p.m.

Having more time to comment, I'll just say that this new director should step down, honestly. I mean, he's missing the entire point of the series and the reason for it's success to begin with. The reason gamers love it it's not just because it was "hard" for the sake of being hard, but because it was subtle, it encouraged you to learn things on your own. And both previous games had fantastic worlds and story that were fascinating because the game didn't just dole all the info straight to you, but bits and pieces and you had to figure the rest. Trying to make the franchise more "Straightfoward" and "Approachabke" is incredibly stupid and oxymoronic. Because not only you'd be destroying part of the series's core and soul, but even if you make it more approachable, this is a series already known for it's hardcore appeal, you're not gonna win many casual gamers, and you're just gonna alienate your entire established fanbase. Which, by the way, it's big enough considering Dark Souls was a huge success. So yeah, if they let this new idiot director go down that road, he's just gonna make everyone pissed. And if you want an example... Hey Coop! If this game was made more approachable and easier, would you give it a go?
  • haipayazoo - December 10, 2012 2:13 p.m.

Calm your godamned tits. A director shouldn't have to step down just because of fan-reaction or if he makes a few mistakes. People have always made comebacks even at the worst of times in their career. That aside, a slight change of pace isn't going to destroy the core of a game. Admittedly, it makes me a bit uneasy, but it's no reason to think that the game will suddenly lose all the appeal that its predecessors had. Not to mention, I wouldn't go so far as to say the subtly of Souls series was the main core and soul. I'd say it would be part of a whole. The game was all about the enjoyment of overcoming the obstacles at hand.
  • BladedFalcon - December 10, 2012 4:13 p.m.

No, but he obviously doesn't get the product he's in charge of. It's as if the director of the next Resident Evil went "You know what this series, really needs? MORE QUICK TIME EVENTS!" And lo and behold, that is exactly what happened with RE6, and lo and behold how poorly received the game was among fans and critics alike. It's not a TERRIBLE game, but it clearly was the weakest of the core games, and it completely lost what the series used to be about. Of course, I'm not losing hope yet, and i am not damning the game itself just yet. I of course plan to watch the videos and previews first, and the check the reviews. But when the very first of info you get from a new game director is "We're gonna go against one of the key elements that made this franchise unique!" You will forgive me for not being exactly welcoming of the guy. Furthermore... you might wanna check this guy Shibuya's curriculum. Aside from monster hunter games, the only game he has been director of RE: outbreak... and we all know how that fucking panned out >_>
  • Eo1spy - December 10, 2012 1:43 p.m.

This better not mean easier... If this turns out to be the case, at least provide difficulty settings: Classic (a la Demon and Dark Souls) Hollow (easier difficulty setting) This does dilute the experience though, a Souls game should be hard or should not exist at all. I can see where they are coming from with being more straightforward about some of the dynamics of the game, like the covenants. However, part of the charm of the Souls games is discovering these yourself.
  • KnowYourPokemon - December 10, 2012 1:07 p.m.

Even if "more accessibility doesn't mean easier" I'm having a hard time thinking of a time in games when it hasn't...
  • Travia220 - December 10, 2012 1:02 p.m.

We all know what this means. R.I.P Dark Souls.
  • BladedFalcon - December 10, 2012 12:59 p.m.

Hrmmm...
  • hestar - December 10, 2012 12:59 p.m.

ohhhhh nooooooooooooo :'(