Topics

From Software

• ultra2extreme - December 15, 2012 7:55 p.m.

Ive said it before and ill say it again, the Japanese simply do not understand WHY thir games succeed in the west. Of the few that do crack the market, most do so for obscure mechanical or story quirks that were never intentional in the first place, but are merely a coincidental coalescence of Japanese culture mingled with western stereotyping and obscure and varied tastes. The WII U will not capture the market of the WII, there will never be another good Ninja Gaiden, and im seriously concerned that Dark Souls will become something of a Devil May Cry from yesteryear, forgetting what truly made it great in an effort to be increasingly western.
  • Manguy17 - December 15, 2012 5:44 a.m.

they should put in cheat codes for people who find it scary, that is the best idea ever, yes i am totally right go me hooray
  • 7-D - December 13, 2012 3:54 p.m.

Great news! Now I can get it for my nan.
  • Unoriginal - December 13, 2012 11:55 a.m.

At first I hated the "figure everything out yourself" mentality behind Dark Souls but slowly it became the vary reason that game was so amazingly excellent. A straightforward Dark Souls is simply wrong. It might turn out good, but not as a Souls game.
  • Clovin64 - December 13, 2012 10:22 a.m.

Because that worked so well when Bioware did it with Dragon Age and Mass Effect.
  • Imgema - December 12, 2012 12:05 p.m.

“I personally am the sort of person who likes to be more direct than subtle" I cannot believe these words were spoken from the director of Dark Souls. Subtlety is something that is missing from modern games and Dark Souls was one of the very few games that didn't spoon feed you anything from melodrama and emotions to tutorials and directions. I guess a good, deep game like this can't survive in a market of casuals and average Joes who prefer facebook and smartphone games that look like those old free flash games we used to play in newgrounds... I weep for the future of gaming :(
  • Imgema - December 12, 2012 12:09 p.m.

Oups, damn my English, i didn't realize that this is a new director... This actually makes things worse for the game.
  • wantfreestuff-gimmeitnao - December 12, 2012 2:51 a.m.

Maybe they'll just get rid of the exceedingly annoying stuff like making you grind on enemies for 6 hours to get some parts to make a weapon. This isn't WoW. personally I think it'd be funny as hell if they made the invasion an option that people could turn off. All those poor, poor 11 year olds wouldn't have anything to post on their youtube channels anymore to impress grandma with. Would be the best troll ever.
  • Kr4to5 - December 11, 2012 1:07 p.m.

This annoys me, "So we have a successful franchise :( lets change it to invite the people that didn't buy any of the previous games whilst alienating the people that did!!!!! :D GREAT IDEA GUYS" Why cater to the people that weren't interested to begin with?
  • KA87 - December 11, 2012 5:58 a.m.

God save the Queen!!!!! Don't change something that is truly great just because a couple of noobs could not find something and were not smart enough to go find a walkthrough online. Here is to trolling more noobs in Dark Souls II. "I'd hate to see you go Hallow on us"
  • Bobo93 - December 11, 2012 3:16 a.m.

Obtuse and ornate please I loved discovering these things on my own it added so much mystery to the game Especially on the story side of things. It was almost like trying to analyze and break down a poem.Please don't go this direction
  • ObliqueZombie - December 10, 2012 7:07 p.m.

I highly doubt they'll make it easier. I only hope this means that they'll make it easier on the player to know where to go--hell, I just beat Seath and I never stepped foot in the forest yet. THEN, I played through the entirety of New Londo Ruins only to realize I don't have the Ring of Artorias yet to fight the Four Kings. I surely hope they don't make the little things like Snuggly go away, nor the little... secrets? Like fighting the Crestfallen Knight after he turns Hollow. That would be a damn shame. I won't make judgments yet, but I'm hoping it means what I think it means.
  • RebornKusabi - December 10, 2012 5:24 p.m.

I have a feeling, or rather hope, what they mean is that the game is more clear in what to do, be as somewhat linear as Demon's Souls was and have things explained a tad bit more. All of that is okay with me and I actually hope there is some sort of coop system in place.
  • fullmetallegend - December 10, 2012 4:55 p.m.

I really think most people are reading way too into this. All it probably means is that things like Covenants are well-displayed and easier to understand. Basically, everything 95% of players go online to figure out anyways will just be better displayed in the game.
  • ice_sneasel - December 10, 2012 3:46 p.m.

But dark souls was already straight foward the only difficulty was understanding the summoning system but even then that didn't effect the gameplay unless you were trying to summon a specific person.
  • ObliqueZombie - December 10, 2012 7:03 p.m.

It never--ever--told you where to go, or what to expect. Hell, a lot of times I'd be in an area that's either over my level, or waaayyy under.
  • Nettacki - December 13, 2012 4:06 p.m.

So what? That's part of the experience.
  • ObliqueZombie - December 14, 2012 8:58 a.m.

True, but it's sometimes just not fun. Now that I've beaten the game, I no longer have to rely on guides to find my way. Simply put, it's frustrating to me and I like at least knowing where to go so I can go elsewhere.
  • JMarsella09 - December 10, 2012 2:58 p.m.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. For instance, they could make better tutorials, that would open it up for newcomers while not messing with the game's format.
  • winner2 - December 10, 2012 2:25 p.m.

We'll have to wait for gameplay vids and/or a demo. I hope it's not too different, one of my favorite parts of both souls is how there is zero handholding. A few tutorial messages on the ground here...an enemy there...traps there...a super boss here...an asshole invader there...hidden goodie here...no handholding whatsoever, you had to pick it up and win on your own. Hell, half the crap in that game barely makes sense until you try it. Now that being said I really hope they don't dash my hopes.