• IronMan - March 6, 2012 8:06 a.m.

When you come to terms with the fact that these 12 characters were never going to be given away for free, it becomes irrelevant to how this content is delivered to you. It doesn't matter if it's on the disk, a full download from XBL or Capcom hand delivers a flash device to your house, you are still only ever getting the content Capcom wants you to have and when it wants you to have it. So what if it's on the disk already... If it wasn't we would be downloading exactly the same thing off the store, albeit a larger file, and no one would be complaining. The fact that doing it this way negates Capcom from putting out a 'Super' version of the game within 12 months as they have done in the past should be something gamers are pleased about. It seems Capcom are in a no win situation with some people.
  • minimaxi - March 6, 2012 9:12 a.m.

you got one of the better argument defending on-disc dlc, and that's why this debate can go on forever.
  • MidianGTX - March 6, 2012 8:03 a.m.

Capcom have completely side-stepped the issue. Sure, THAT makes sense, but that's not what's annoying. What's annoying is that the content has been created, therefore it must have been affordable as part of the budget. The money that has been assigned to the game's creation is what goes on the disc. DLC is generally the result of good sales and high profits, which are then used to further provide content. If this business method is not used, there's absolutely nothing to stop a developer from picking and choosing just how much they can hide from us before we get annoyed at the fact. It's best we get annoyed now before they try and cut games down any further. DLC should be a direct result of a game's success, not pre-planned content that could have been offered originally but was held back due to greed.
  • Darkhawk - March 6, 2012 7:34 a.m.

As unavoidable as Day-1 / On-disc DLC has become, it's still an unfair feature of electronic gaming. While it's true that movies might get re-release "special editions," the built-in model of paying dozens of dollars down the line for extra features for a product simply does not exist in other media. If I drop $60, I don't want to pay another $15+ to get more characters, nor do I want to spend $3 to pay for palette swap costumes. It's a quite insidious development, and very worrisome for the future of gaming. Take a look at micro-transaction iOS games to get an idea.
  • jmcgrotty - March 6, 2012 7:14 a.m.

Allright, two things to mention. Was going to just do the one, but re-reading comments, I have to say more. And rather than just do a lot of singular replies to each person, I'll post them as a group. To me, I think the more interesting part of this story, with regards to the reply from Capcom, is going unreported: If they allow people with DLC to play people without DLC, that is effectively free advertising for them, enticing non-DLC buyers to pony up the cash to get these "cool new characters" they're playing against. I have no problem with Capcom doing that, and in fact I think it's pretty brilliant. I just am surprised it isn't being mentioned. As for the overall commentary by people: The people upset about this are idiots. No way around it. No nicer way to put it. Idiots. To check one thing off the list, Voltanis said "It just amazes me how many game companies today still don't understand the DL in DLC. It stands for DownLoadable Content, NOT Disc Locked Content." First off, don't blame the company for misunderstanding "DLC." THAT is a media and gamer term, not a term made by the game companies. If you want to pitch a fit about it, qusetion why it's "DLC" and not "DC". You do realize that "downloadable" is 1 word, right? No capitol L should be used. It dosen't follow acceptable acronym standards, where it would be DC or DlC. You also say that it would be unfair for you to not know the content was on the disc before you buy it, since you wouldn't have had a chance to agree before purchase, like in an MMO. 1) Since we're talking about a game that isn't out, obviously you DO already know the situation and you AREN'T unaware. and 2) (since this is actually what you meant) if you mean for the average person who doesn't do research that it isn't fair, they aren't being locked out of content. The situation you're describing is the box saying "Includes 74 amazing characters!" and after buying it, they realize that only 3 are available without spending more money. You're crazy. (I was going to say pathetic, but thought that was too harsh) Gamers overall are united: we don't care. Only a few vocal people give a damn. El.Waxa, your story was a bit interesting, but I had a question that is more relevant to the end of it: how many of those silly Westerners throw away that other 20% and have wasted money? And yes, here is where you say "None. That is why americans are all fat." And to sum up everyone else, you're being ridiculous. I've tried to word it a half-dozen ways now and I can't dumb it down enough to make sense to you guys. The fact is that there is nothing wrong with them doing this. No one is out anything and it is an extremely creative way around a situation. And if all of that still isn't enough for you, remember this: It's the way things are now. It's the way things always will be now. People fear change. Just accept it. Don't accept it. I don't care. Just shut the hell up. If anyone thinks I went too far, I apologize. I tried to edit out most of my harshest comments, but these idiots are pissing me off anymore.
  • FOZ - March 6, 2012 7:57 a.m.

It's the way things are? What kind of crap is that? You think problems get fixed because people just sit there and do nothing? If people hadn't been so vocal, Yun would still be dominating Arcade Edition. People were so vocal about Arcade Edition's unnecessary changes and poorly-thought out new characters that they got Capcom to make a balance patch for a fighting game. When have they EVER done that? I guess making new editions was the way things always were, and people should have just shut up, huh? There's no way they would make a difference. Until they did. People fear change? I didn't see people fearing Super Street Fighter IV. And when the patch for Arcade Edition was announced, people didn't demand a return to Super SFIV, they took the chance to get in the changes they still wanted from SSFIV and didn't get for Arcade Edition. Obviously this must be some kind of paradox, because people FEAR CHANGE *eyeroll*. You're full of it. You can't rely on fallacies like "people fear change," seeing as it doesn't even make sense here, you can't dissuade replies by jumping on your horse and proclaiming everyone "idiots," and defending yourself against backlash by saying "I don't care." Because you don't like something, you should accept it? I don't even need to explain the utter stupidity of this.
  • FOZ - March 6, 2012 7:08 a.m.

What? No, that doesn't make any sense. These characters are already IN THE GAME. The game is finished, and they are in it, but simply locked behind a wall that can only be passed through hacking the game or paying money. That's not DLC, that's just... that's just taking out something that's already in the game and making people pay for it. Not only does it make no sense, it's utter bullshit. It's business? Why, because Capcom sucks at everything but making fighting games this generation, so they have to squeeze as much money as they can out of each one? Maybe this will be preferable to a $40 new edition in 8 months, but I still see absolutely no reason for TWELVE characters to just be locked on the disc.
  • BigDannyH - March 6, 2012 6:58 a.m.

I've no real problem with DLC. If you really love a game that you play for hours on end you generally don't mind slipping the developers a few extra quid to extend your enjoyment. However I don't agree with how Capcom have gone about it. Rubbing it in our faces a little too much. Just leave it off the disc. Although us gamers aren't totally blameless for the mess the market's in. We abused the secondhand market (or even worse, pirated games) and now we're moaning at the guys making the games for having to be creative in seeking out payment. Best thing we can do is download demos to try new stuff, always buy new and vote with our wallets when it comes to dodgy practices.
  • FOZ - March 6, 2012 7:12 a.m.

That's bullshit. Who the hell is we?
  • BigDannyH - March 6, 2012 8 a.m.

Yeah, I almost deleted "we" as I personally buy new and have never pirated anything. However I'm part of the gaming community and consumers in general, that's what I meant by "we".
  • Scuffles - March 6, 2012 6:13 a.m.

Even if I bought that..... this is the worst most abusive form of DLC. The kind where everything is ready before the fact but carved out of the game so they can piecemeal it back to you over the next few months to a year..... Hell its even all on the disk (sans some small bit so they can claim its "unfinished" and send you a 5kb download) All the DLC is ready so why the hell force people to wait? Oh right because it almost avoids making them look like the moneygrubbing slime that they are vs had they had just released 14 DLC characters out of the gate.... Its Day1 DLC that is all on the disk that people won't be allowed the privilege of purchasing for months......because money..... It isn't on the disk to keep the playerbase united, they couldn't care less.....bottom line, its on the disk to save them bandwidth.
  • jmcgrotty - March 6, 2012 6:43 a.m.

"bottom line, its on the disk to save them bandwidth.": *snicker* Even for the people who are against downloadable content being on the disc before it is even shipped, that is a ridiculous point of view. You really think that they would care about the bandwidth money being saved and that being a motivating factor? It's simple math. Even if the content was $5 a character, you really think that for one person to download that, it would cost them $5 in bandwidth? No. It would cost a few cents at most to a company that big. The bandwidth is the absolute definition of a "negligible" expense. If you really do believe it to be true, it's cute to see idealistic, but naive, kids still use the internet.
  • magik-rouge - March 6, 2012 6:07 a.m.

honestly i would prefer a crazy elaborate method to unlocking the characters like finishing 3 rounds only kicking or only winning the male characters with throws or even during a match deliberately loose and switch character just make it more of a reward for having the time and patience similar to the edge master mode in soul blade. i feel if its already on the disc come up with a unique way to unlocking extra content rather than telling the consumer that you either buy it or have it flaunted in your face every time you play.
  • Voltanis - March 6, 2012 6:06 a.m.

It just amazes me how many game companies today still don't understand the DL in DLC. It stands for DownLoadable Content, NOT Disc Locked Content. Downloadable Content is additional or bonus content that should be accessed through whatever console's online marketplace and if you have the cash/points to obtain it, you may do so if you wish. Release a free downloadable compatibility update for those who don't want to buy the content but still be allowed to play with/against their friends. Disc Locked Content is additional/bonus content that should be accessed by beating the game, earning achievements, or some other means of gameplay to acquire the use of the characters/levels/etc. that are ALREADY ON THE DISC. THAT I HAVE ALREADY PAID FOR. AND SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY ADDITIONALLY FOR to use because this is not an MMO or a subscription or micro-transaction based game, which I would have had to understand and agree to when I purchased the game in the first place. Until we as gamers can somehow unite and not keep falling for this crap and when we no longer continue to shell out money to these companies, telling them, "YES, PLEASE allow me to pay you more money to shove that red hot fireplace poker where the sun doesn't shine" this will keep getting worse and worse until eventually we're paying these con artists 800 MSP everytime we want to move our character to the left. "Sorry, you need our 'Enhanced Movement DLC Pack!' to make your character move in that direction! Please visit the Marketplace now!"
  • TheElephantManchurianCandidate - March 6, 2012 6:06 a.m.

Gaming is an expensive hobby people need to accept that and move on. If you don't like something then vote with your money and don't buy it.
  • Fruitbat - March 6, 2012 12:12 p.m.

That has never been a good argument, ever. It's just an excuse to make people shut up and not complain about their lot, no matter how unfair, greedy or ridiculous it is. If we all thought like you then nothing in the world would get fixed.
  • Ded - March 6, 2012 5:13 a.m.

It doesn't really matter either way.. as I imagine within 18 months there will be an improved version coming out. SUPER Street Fighter X SUPER Tekken! Four new characters, 2 new game modes, and improvements to gameplay balance!! Wheee!
  • Cyberninja - March 6, 2012 3:54 a.m.

Um if dlc compatibility hadn't been done before i would believe this but it has multiple times so its not like the excuse were doing this so you can play against people who buy it works, if you need an example look at blazblue, you didn't have to purchase the dlc to fight against since they updated everyone's system files for it to work not just the people's who had dlc. with the map pack idea they dont want you using the maps because you haven't bought them so its not like activision couldn't patch it so that if one person has the map you can all play it, if they did that they would have less people buy it since their friend could buy it once.
  • el.waxa - March 6, 2012 3:54 a.m.

I have to say I'm on the fence here. This situation reminds me of something I saw about a guy living in Japan, he talks about difference in culture through cans of coke sold in vending machines. In japan you can see 2 cans of coke next to each other for the same price but one can might have 20% more in, The guy explains how this concept is stupid to westerners and they will buy the bigger can regardless, whereas a Japanese person wouldnt have a problem buying the smaller can if they "weren't that thirsty." draw any parallels?
  • bass88 - March 6, 2012 3:50 a.m.

It does smack of bullshit. Well argued bullshit but bullshit nonetheless. I'm not opposed to DLC as it is a good way of providing extra content that is inexpensive to the developer and consumer but day one DLC reeks of greed. DLC should be more like expansion packs which provide plenty of extra entertainment i.e. Old World Blues or Opposing Force. Only justification for day one DLC is to offer it free on new copies as to persuade buyers to purchase the original copy, thus increasing revenue.
  • CitizenWolfie - March 6, 2012 3:47 a.m.

It does make sense I guess. It doesn't mean I agree with it though. After all keeping those with and without DLC apart levels the playing field a bit more - part of mastering any fighting game is learning how all the characters play and reacting accordingly if/when you face them. It seems a bit unfair then if you've made a conscious decision not to buy DLC but are then thrown into a game against someone has spend ages mastering a character you've never seen before. I think that's why DLC works with games like BF3 and CoD as keeping the buyers/non-buyers separate is better in my opinion. I'd rather them take the time to include the "hidden" characters as unlockables as opposed to DLC anyway. Now it seems lots of beat-em-ups already have the majority of the characters available at the start with only bosses to unlock. I used to love playing through arcade mode with certain characters to get specific new ones. Tekken used to double its roster once you'd done the arcade mode with every starter character. I miss that feeling of completion.