Topics

Retro

• CitizenWolfie - February 3, 2012 8:33 a.m.

Lens flare is awesome. That's all I have to say on this matter. Except in Battlefield. I can't see shit in Battlefield.
  • codystovall - February 3, 2012 8:29 a.m.

Gears of war 3 has lossa lens flare.
  • PevMaster - February 3, 2012 8:15 a.m.

Wow, GamesRadar, another boring article about things barely any of us care about. You've dropped very far from the position of Funnies Gaming Website. This second thing I'm about to say will probably be controversial, though. GamesRadar has gone to shit. The site used to be about very well-written reviews, insightful lists and funny writing is no more. Nowadays, you just steal news stories from CVG and make stupid articles that nobody cares about. (Why in the name of God would ANYONE want to read about boxes? The article wasn't even funny, and wasted my time to be frank.) And another thing, somebody in the GR offices seems to love Portal a little TOO MUCH. First, you declare the first Portal the greatest game of all time, and secondly you give Portal 2 an undeserved GOTY. There were so many other, stronger contenders that you could have picked, such as Batman, Skyrim and The Witcher 2, but you reasoned that "Skyrim's too buggy" and "The Witcher 2 is too complex for some people" and, in one of the year's stupidest sentences, you said something like "er...some people don't like Batman...and er...we wouldn't force them to play this". Yes, Portal 2 is polished and has some brainy puzzles and all that. I know, I've finished both Portals. But Portal 2 is really just an expansion on the original with more features. And yes, I know length doesn't equal quality (Deus Ex: Human Revolution is one of my GOTYs despite being around 50 hours long) but Portal 2 simply won't keep a true gamer going enough for it to be justified as GOTY. Yeah yeah yeah, it may be 'accessible to all' and 'condensed greatness' and all that, but Skyrim, Batman and The Witcher ALL maintain their excellence all the way through as well, despite being up to hundreds of hours long. Bugs? Taste? So what? The others WERE BETTER GAMES than Portal 2, despite maybe Zelda, but I don't want to attract more controversy by going into my dislike of the Nintendo franchise. Yes, some very strong words in this comment, but I'm really trying to stress that the quality of GR has taken a massive nosedive. I'm not trying to insult you, far from it, I just want to tell you that I'm dissapointed that my former favourite gaming website has fallen from its post. Please take into account what I have said and don't dismiss it as the ramblings of a madman. Some GR commentors will surely disagree with me, but this is just my opinion.
  • samsneeze - February 3, 2012 8:36 a.m.

Copy, Paste.
  • CitizenWolfie - February 3, 2012 8:42 a.m.

While I agree that GR occasionally has a totally unconditional love for all things Portal (and Bioshock come to think of it) and uses any given article to praise the series (still great games, mind), I think you're being a bit unfair suggesting they steal news stories from CVG considering they're part of the same company and likely share sources of news. CVG probably just has more people updating the site regularly. Besides which, have you visited CVG recently? If any site has taken a nosedive, it's that one. I always used to visit both GR and CVG regularly; GR for the articles and CVG for the news. But since CVG had a "makeover" it's been practically unreadable and full of ads.
  • db1331 - February 3, 2012 8:48 a.m.

"The site used to be about very well-written reviews, insightful lists and funny writing is no more." When was this? I must have missed it. These are the kind of articles that make GR worth visiting. Coming onto GR and complaining about an article being stupid or pointless is like going to Sea World and sitting in the front row of the Shamu show and complaining you got splashed.
  • Sjoeki - February 3, 2012 8:55 a.m.

People come and people go (editors I mean) and with new people comes new stuff, it can suck and it looks like that's the case for you. But that's the way of the world. I miss the articles of T. Wilde and P. Ryan but other great stuff has come in their place. Humor is a very personal thing and what can be hilarious in your eyes can be boring to someone else. But then again that's just my opinion. And offcourse you can always get your kicks in the top 7 database!
  • MidianGTX - February 3, 2012 9:29 a.m.

Nice opinion, now piss off. Though I'm sure you have some highly intelligent and well thought-out response to my lazy excuse for an argument. Go for it, make yourself look better than me on the internet.
  • BladedFalcon - February 3, 2012 10:25 a.m.

Please don't generalize and say true gamers won't consider Portal 2 as GOTY. I love games, and I've played most every mayor release of last year, (Deus ex, arkham city, dark souls, skyrim, among other great games. So really, only GOTY games I missed were witcher 2 and skyward sword.) And yet I still consider Portal to be the best game I played. I don't need you to agree with me, but please don't think GR is the only one that thought Portal 2 was great. Lastly... For hating the site so much, you sure do spend a lot of time, posts and efforts bitching about it... If the articles are so terrible and boring then why not simply leave and save yourself the anger? Or would that take too common sense to pull off?
  • TheVoid - February 3, 2012 11:26 a.m.

PevMaster - your points are well-written but I too take offense with your generalization that "most gamers feel X" when that is simply your opinion. Funny things, opinions, as they rarely line up exactly with everyone's expectations. In that sense GR has their own - as do we all - so if they want to chest-beat about the Portal series, they have that right. And it's not like they pull their opinions completely out of their asses - far more often than not they back their claims up with reasonable, intelligent perspectives, their "Portal best game ever" opinion being a great example. Admittedly when I first saw it ranked as the #1 game of all time, I also pulled a jaw-drop, but upon reading their stance I thought "you know what, they have a point". Not my #1 of all time (X-Com, thank you very much), but theirs, and I RESPECT THEM FOR IT. After all, why lambast someone for how they feel, especially if they feel strongly about it? But ultimately I take the greatest offense at your "another boring article about things barely any of us care about" remark. One thing I LOVE about GR (and usually Justin's articles in particular) is that you really can't find stuff like this anywhere else. So many gaming sites beat the same crap to death over and over - the stuff I guess you would consider more "worthwhile news". But for me, I'm looking to be entertained more than informed, and in that regarding there is GamerRadar and no other. To BladedFalcon's point (and probably a few others I may have missed), as with all things media, if you don't like it, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! You have oodles of options, so why remain so clearly frustrated when it's obvious this is how GamesRadar wants to operate as a site, much to their fans appreciation. Of course I'm all for expressing one's opinions (and do so often myself), but rarely do I go after GR as a whole considering how much time I spend enjoying everything they have to offer. If you find yourself increasingly upset with this site's content, your complaints alone probably aren't going to steer everything in a new direction. GamesRadar isn't here to make everyone happy - they are here to throw their mindset out there in hopes that enough people will pick up what they are putting down, and clearly they've succeeded. I think it speaks volumes that so many people have risen to GR's defense while no one appears to support your claim. If you are looking for GR to be more serious, or more informative, you've simply come to the wrong place. Case in point - I'm not a fan of GR's reviews. Compared to other sites I find them to be less informative, if not downright skim. And occassionally I will ask for what I felt was missing in the review's comments only because I would rather not have to go elsewhere because I love GR so much otherwise. It's their "Achilles Heel" in my opinion, and while I may duck out to find what I feel is lacking elsewhere, I always come right back because more often than not I'm left with a big smile on my face after reading stuff like this. It's right up my alley and more amusing than a by-the-numbers-yet-completely-comprehensive review, even as important as those are. But everyone else seems to have those while no one else seems to share GR's unique brand of humor. So there!
  • Robx - February 3, 2012 1:18 p.m.

I couldn't take your comment seriously with dat Call of Duty avatar. sup, I love GR.
  • Hobogonigal - February 3, 2012 11:14 p.m.

I don't think GR has nosedived too much however I would welcome a few more funny Top 7 Lists and feature articles. If I want the news I can find it through CVG as you mentioned. Pretty much, I come to GR for the good reviews, good opinions and funny articles and it hasn't declined a lot in the last few years I've been here. I'm just glad they changed from the old flash design that took an age to load but that was a good 3-4 years ago...
  • birdman1041 - February 4, 2012 12:41 a.m.

You lost me at "true gamer."
  • Imgema - February 3, 2012 8:05 a.m.

When i hear of lens flare the first game that comes to my mind is 1080 snowboarding. But the first game where i saw lens flare being impressive was the first Vectorman (on Mega Drive).
  • bass88 - February 3, 2012 7:35 a.m.

Always nice to have Die Hard Trilogy reference. When I was a young whippersnapper I always thought the lens flare in the game was a subtle reference to the lens flare in the first Die Hard film (i.e. when Hans Gruber goes to check on the explosives - massive lens flare there).
  • GR_JustinTowell - February 3, 2012 7:57 a.m.

Great game, too. I particularly enjoyed the driving, but the tower block shooter was decent. On Saturn, the lightgun bit was near unplayable, so I didn't play that. Yippeekiyay?
  • bass88 - February 3, 2012 9:59 a.m.

I had it on PlayStation. Got it for Christmas when I was eight. Die Hard 2 was easy enough on PS. I have a Saturn myself and I thought it would be easier with that controller - did the analogue controller work for it? Ah yes, the driving game. I used to while the afternoons away mowing down pedestrians in 1st person mode and wipe the bloody mess off the windscreen. I thought it was funny, my mother wasn't impressed.
  • GR_JustinTowell - February 4, 2012 1:28 a.m.

Ooh, now that's testing my knowledge. Without getting my Saturn and copy out (I'm too cosy in my Saturday morning lie-in for that!) I don't think it worked with the analogue pad. But it wasn't so much the controls as the frame rate and ugliness that ruined the Saturn version's lightgun fun. But man, I'd forgotten about the blood on the windscreen - that was a game that didn't pull any punches! I sense an Appreciation Section coming on... ;)
  • bass88 - February 4, 2012 9:13 a.m.

"I sense an Appreciation Section coming on... ;)" For the Love of God, please!
  • bass88 - February 4, 2012 10:52 a.m.

Forgot to mention: if you do an appreciation sction on DHT, try loaning a copy of the PS version. The frame is as silky-smooth as Galaxy's chocolate and should help with the lightgun game.