• ParagonT - February 23, 2012 1:20 p.m.

"Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories. And to render them safe, their minds must be improved to a certain degree." - Thomas Jefferson This quote is valid in many situations such as this, let me replace a few words: "Every corporation degenerates when trusted to the stupidity of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories. And to render them safe, their minds must be improved to a certain degree." -Revised Thomas Jefferson quote. What appalls me more than anything is how many consumers actually protect these stunts like it's perfectly fine. Let me be clear, it's fine for them to try and pull this stunt, but it's not fine for me as a consumer to agree with them, let alone buy it. Gaming is only as viable as when people are willing to purchase it. Although I don't want to pay more for the same amount of content it would have been, some people do. Although this will just entice them even further.
  • aaron-pan - February 23, 2012 2:50 p.m.

Its just people trying to vehemently justify their spent money no matter how wasted it might have been. The feel for validation overcomes logic. I was thinking about buying it near release, but I might just hold out until it drops in price a year or so from now. I am not sure if Origin has good deals like Steam(doubt it), but this isn't that appealing to me now.
  • ParagonT - February 23, 2012 2:55 p.m.

Agreed. I'll wait for awhile or not even buy it.
  • ZhugeLiang - February 23, 2012 4 p.m.

Thomas Jefferson clearly had a lot to say about Mass Effect 3.
  • ParagonT - February 23, 2012 5:58 p.m.

Apparently Zhuge Liang had a lot to say about Mass Effect 3 as well. Must be history month perhaps?
  • Bloodstorm - February 23, 2012 12:48 p.m.

Not really bothered by this. I will spend $60 on the regular game, and $10 on the DLC and I will still have saved $10 compared to buying the collectors edition.
  • oz103 - February 23, 2012 3:27 p.m.

Your logic seems a little odd to me, So u think ur saving 10$ cos u didnt purchase the collectors edition? That 10$ was and always has been yours to spend not EA's. Anyway yeah i think this is a odd way to go about it, but folk will still buy it.
  • Sleuth - February 23, 2012 12:02 p.m.

Good thing I pre-ordered the CE!
  • Slayer11496 - February 23, 2012 11:51 a.m.

no big deal.
  • BluegrassSmoker - February 23, 2012 11:45 a.m.

Constant stunts like this just makes me wanna stop being a hardcore gamer. It's not about the game anymore. It's about how much money they can make. It honestly is. It's a business right. Why the fuck would you release DLC on launch date? Can we not enjoy the $60-80 dollar game before you bend us over and rape us? What is the next generation of consoles going to be like? Are we going to have to start paying for every chapter or mission? Bioware is my fav & it saddens me that I'm starting to feel the same way about them as I do the other bullshit developers. I'm tired to ranting over it though. It's not like we as gamer will ever band together and do anything about it. Hell we can't even band together as people to fix this fucked up world we live in. My cynical has arrived! Stuff like this just really grinds my gears.
  • angelusdlion - February 23, 2012 12:37 p.m.

Nerd rage is go. How about you go throw a snitfit on the bioware forums where they will actually hear you?
  • iHateFatPeople - February 23, 2012 1:06 p.m.

Hate to break it to you, but it's never been 'about the games'. The sole purpose of the industry is to make money. Fact.
  • KnowYourPokemon - February 23, 2012 6:30 p.m.

Yeah it's not like there are any developers out there who want to make money AND care about video games. It's not like bethesda gave away the tools for people to make skyrim mods for free or anything and instead charged an absurd amount of money for them... oh wait.
  • BladedFalcon - February 23, 2012 7:14 p.m.

Yeah... Because Bethesda cares so much about it's games and it's customers, and they totally don't release a broken, buggy, often unplayable game on several consoles before properly testing it just to sell them sooner, or properly beta test them... OH WAIT.
  • KnowYourPokemon - February 23, 2012 8:18 p.m.

Because it's not like the longer you wait to release your game the more and more it's costing you without making any actual profit until you just have to release it. Why the hell do you think SW:ToR came out when it did? They sank so much money into it they HAD to release it. In this case they could have added infinite things to Skyrim and literally spent years trying to fix everything, but that's not feasible, developers do not have the money to constantly develop their game. I'm not saying I agree with it but it's justifiable. So yes I stand by my statement that it is possible for a company to care about their games and making a profit at the same time.
  • BladedFalcon - February 23, 2012 8:33 p.m.

What IS feasible, is to at least try and fix glaring, game-breaking problems you KNEW were in the game before releasing it. The whole problem with PS3 copies is something Bethesda has even admitted now that they knew about, and did nothing about it. I don't care how you slice it, releasing a product you KNOW to be faulty and selling it as if it was a quality tested product is definitely not a way to show that you care about your game or your customers. I agree that there are companies that do a better job at not shamelessly pinching pennies and showing genuine customer appreciation while making a profit. But you putting Bethesda as an example was a serious blunder.
  • ParagonT - February 24, 2012 5:17 a.m.

Agreed, Bethesda seriously screwed up this time around. Not to mention their previous games that were so buggy and full of holes you might as well call it Swiss cheese. This might sound weird, but I think of the regulations put on Swiss cheese that allows only a certain diameter of the hole size. I think this could be appropriately put into the gaming industry as well. Meh, just rambling....
  • ObliqueZombie - February 23, 2012 11:38 a.m.

I don't have a problem with it, since it's a measly $10. Still, I think they should lower the price for, say, a couple weeks for fans who couldn't the Collector's Edition a chance to not entirely miss out on the pre-order goodies--in this case, an ACTUAL goody not pre-order specific.
  • christian-shaffer - February 23, 2012 11:09 a.m.

I don't have a problem with the idea of the whole thing for the most part, but it seems like $10 is a little much for a squad mate and a mission. You can argue that people that bought the Collectors edition already paid a fair amount, which I would agree with. However, you get way more with the collectors edition than you do with the day one dlc. So that's not a valid argument. So back to my point. Lower the price. Also, why the hell is there punctuation in the captchas now? Like it's not hard enough to read without it.
  • radiodeaf - February 23, 2012 11:06 a.m.

While I can't really suggest they did anything wrong. It's their content...how they plan to release it... is up to them. It's up to the community to show they are not pleased with the ME3 content they purchased for $60. Though, it is their content. Be happy this isn't in chunks like Starcraft 2. Old engine getting revamped from time to time. Sounds like a brilliant purchase the next two times right? I say that...but obviously this feels scummy. Basically they knew this was going into development as part of the story long ago, or voice acting and other materials would have been done later. That's not the case. All of the work was done before hand. This is no doubt a planned DLC. Buy it if you're stupid. I would hope the gaming community wouldn't support crap like this.
  • ParagonT - February 23, 2012 1:21 p.m.

I'm not buying it, put me down as one of your own.