• D0CCON - March 21, 2012 2:04 p.m.

The main reasons I dislike the ending: It presents you with the biggest choice in the history of Mass Effect games. What is the result of that choice? Nothing except the color of a laser according to the endings. It undoes every action you have done in the entire game. Remember reuniting the Krogan with Salarians and Turians? Or the Geth with the Quarians? Or helped in any struggle at all? Guess what? It doesn't matter because the Mass Effect relays blew up and those races won't ever see each other again because of it. It is sad when most people, myself included, are hoping the real ending was that it was all a dream. That's the most cliched BS ever and it would fit the story better than the current real ending.
  • azureguy - March 21, 2012 7:03 p.m.

After avoiding any spoilers of the entire series, I'm faced with the inevitable ending... and it is just a big destruction of everything (or parts of)? Compared with the otherwise big praise the former two games got, that does seem like the biggest letdown ever. And my friend complained about the Human Revolution ending with the suidice path XD.
  • Rowdie - March 22, 2012 11:55 a.m.

Shep being in control of a synthetic force more powerful than all possible apposing forces combined is same as a all synthetics destroyed is the same as some kind of blending of synthetic and organic life into new form. Nope, I just can't accept those things as being the same. As for stranding everyone, I'm pretty sure Shep could fly from solar system to solar system with out the mass relays. That's why there are fuel stations. Am I missing something? The relays just allowed for quicker transit and for ships that might not otherwise have the capability to do it as well. In the end though solar system to solar system travel was possible without Mass Relays.
  • Falcon4196 - March 21, 2012 1:35 p.m.

The problem with the ending (besides the plot holes and the fact that they abandoned the logic and laws of physics that they established in the game)was that it was obvious that they got caught up in making it as artistic and philosophical as they could. They were so set on trying to send a message through their art that they forgot that their first obligation was to entertain the people that purchased the game.
  • KnowYourPokemon - March 21, 2012 1:35 p.m.

I like how people still don't get that it's not the fact that shepard didn't get to ride into the sunset in a "happy" ending being the issue. It's the major plot holes, characters being insanely out of character. And the complete lack of closure. Overall the ending didn't make any sense (it could have had they had not so obviously rushed it) and needed to be fixed, which it will be.
  • Canvas_Of_Flesh - March 21, 2012 1:03 p.m.

I'm only about 3 hours into Mass Effect 3 now, so I suppose I'll just stop playing until they actually finish their game. After playing 1 and 2 in a row I'm sort of burnt out on the series at this point. Not to mention the whole "not being able to holster your weapon" is really bothering me more than it should be. Anyways, like I said I haven't finished the game, but I did have the ending spoiled for me by a friend. I looked it up on Youtube and the ending(s) aren't horrible, per se, but there is definitely a rushed quality to it. It seems really disjointed like the bulk of the game was finished well before they even decided to make the ending. Then they realized they were running low on time and figured they'd just wing it. Either way, fix it or not, I don't care, but it's the last time I purchase a Bioware game on the day it releases. Thankfully, I was able to procure this copy for about 5 dollars, so it wasn't too much money spent.
  • KolbitosFruitJuice - March 21, 2012 7:49 p.m.

I think the ending would have kicked you in the balls harder if you had not spoiled it for yourself. To see the armies, nations and entire species you brought together peacefully so casually thrown under the bus is gut-wrenching. Three shit endings with different colors. Yay.
  • Sinosaur - March 21, 2012 12:57 p.m.

Mass Effect 3 remains one of the most exciting, rewarding, and interesting games I have ever played, and that's including the fact that I'm among those who absolutely hates the ending. One of it's biggest problems is that it really cooled me off on the series. Right up to the ending, I was looking forward to playing the whole series again from start to finish to check out all the differences and explore every possible ending. Then I get to the end and find out I basically did see every ending in one go. Mass Effect 3's biggest fault, in regards to the ending, is that the series made people care enough to be this pissed off, which means that basically everything else they did was perfect. Well, there's also the fact that you really want to leave people wanting more, and actually finishing it DECREASED my desire to see more.
  • db1331 - March 21, 2012 1:02 p.m.

Same here. I was all set to jump back into Mass Effect 1 and start over making completely different choices. Then I finished 3, turned it off, and haven't been back to the series since. I can only hope that there is some truth to the indoctrination theory. However, if BioWare thinks I'm going to pay $10 to get the actual ending that they cut out of the game, they are out of their fucking minds.
  • ParagonT - March 21, 2012 1:51 p.m.

Yeah, I'm not paying anything neither. Also I hate when they use the "We do not want to sacrifice our artistic vision" bullshit. When your game has a online pass and is treated like a service rather than a product, you are going to appease your fanbase. The Starving Artist concept cannot be mixed with business, it doesn't work. Either your making the game for money, or not. Sorry for the rant, but most developers are not artists, and shouldn't act like it. I'm a Grpahic Designer, but that doesn't mean I'm an artist, I do it for a career and money, not to better the world or help people.
  • viberunner - March 21, 2012 2:03 p.m.

Agreed. I have heard Mass Effect is a 10/10/10 game, that is ten out of ten... until the last ten minutes.
  • Balaska - March 21, 2012 11:04 a.m.

The ending isn't nonsensical, the ending makes perfect sense. The reapers, the most powerful beings in the galaxy, effed our shit up. There was never going to be a happy ending, ever. Bioware prepared us for this and we failed to listen. This is their story, if you don't like it, tough. However much choice there was in the game ulitmately there was no real choice in the end. Kind of like life. Am I the only one that gets the point?
  • Gibsonsg527 - March 21, 2012 11:26 a.m.

No. The ending is riddled plot holes, contradictions,and unanswered questions.
  • TheHowetzer - March 21, 2012 11:36 a.m.

This was the point of a couple of posts I had on the other ME3 Ending thread, I Didnt even play ME3 yet, and I think the ending was exactly what it had to be, people don't seem to think that toying with life and death on the grandest scale ever seen should have any lasting consequences...yeah makes sence to bitch about it. Oh! yeah I almost forgot, they also didnt like the fact that the choice they made to brush their teeth that time didn't affect the end outcome either. Because that is so relevent when we are dealing with the entire future of the known universe. You nailed it Balaska. I also dont like that everyone wants to bitch about it and expects them to CHANGE the effing game. Grow up people it's thier I.P. get over it and move on. I really hope they do not try to change what they've done here simply to pander to a bunch of upset children.
  • Darkhawk - March 21, 2012 11:53 a.m.

@TheHowetzer : this is the problem with the debate. People who HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME are hopping on the bandwagon, or if they have played it already, don't want to be left out of the "cool" ranks of the internet and so give in to the whining as well. Everyone should clam up until they've thought for themselves.
  • TheHowetzer - March 21, 2012 12:03 p.m.

@Darkhawk, I hear what you're saying but what I am saying is that I HAVE thought for myself here and I am trying to remind everyone that if you step back (almost as if you havent played the game even) and really look at what was being dealt with in this game, you must come to the realization that things are going to be different now, and not in the sence that the once green house is now blue different. Also, I don't see where the debate here is, the ending was the ending wheres the debate? If you liked it or not? Sorry but who cares? I bet theres alot of idiots out there that like things I dont, and dont like things I do, should I effing change ANYTHING because of that? No. Get over it and move on.
  • ParagonT - March 21, 2012 2:36 p.m.

"Cool" ranks? Did you just call yourself uncool?
  • ParagonT - March 21, 2012 2:34 p.m.

I don't think you quite understand what people are upset about in general, you seem to be generalizing the whole concept people are arguing for. Also that attitude you have is exactly why IP's like Call of Duty, exist, you don't want to break the mold and is content sitting on their ass eating up every bit of shovel-ware and sub-par games you can get your grub nubs on. People who criticize are the reason that the industry breaks the mold and is on their top game every day, because without them, you would be defending crap IP's. Mass Effect 3 was perfect to me except the ending and how the whole years of playing the series ending up being three choices that were alike (except one). The whole story was riddled with plot holes, and contradictions. You could argue with the indoctrination theory, but if you know what Occram's Razor is, you should know better unless given evidence instead of assumptions. I didn't care that it wasn't a happy ending, it's the plot holes and sub par ending (unless there is evidence for indoctrination). I also wonder why it's not cool to criticize the ending, but its fine to criticize those that criticize? (See a trend here?) One more thing, games are MADE for it's target audience, we are not slaves to how developers make their games, they're slaves to our wants. People just don't realize it yet.
  • TheHowetzer - March 22, 2012 4:16 a.m.

Alright couple of things here on this ParagonT. First off, I have thought more about this last night and I have come to the realization that I am coming down on the wrong side of this as far as it pertains to the fans wanting something else from the developers. Obviously there are alot of people that are much more emotionally involved and have more passion for this than I do, which is perfectly fine, and I am glad for them. I guess I simply just do not share that passion, and yes that may be because I have not played the game, BTW @ Aliengmr great contribution you bring to the table here, your Mom must be proud. I have always been a free market guy and if the fans want something else and they can put enough pressure on the company, then it's simply the market at work in a very quick way which I am cool with, but I still personally don't like whinning about it, but I should not let that cloud what can be accomplished by the consumer here because of it. As far as IP's like call of Duty pertain to me, I can bet you have spent more consumer dollars on Call of duty and the like than I have Paragon so if you live in a glass house, maybe you should think twice before throwing that stone. I am not however going to change my stance on the ending itself, the ONLY problem I really saw (from the limited info I have) was that shepards crew was seemingly no where around when the relays went offline so to speak, I thought that was strange and if there is an explaination for it, they certainly didnt seem to show it. Other than that, I still can easily understand, and live with the endings. I will agree that it seems that it was rushed and if the fans can squeeze more explanation out of the pockets of the company (and hopefully for no more money) than I am fine with that. Funny you should bring up Occam's razor here though man, because I think applying that to most of the ME series is difficult for the simple fact that the whole thing is so complicated to begin with. But if you look at whats presented in the form of the ghost child/god thing if that is taken as its presented than Occam's razor dictates that we accept the endings for me at least, of course others can take other views. Anyway this is getting long, sorry but I did want to recant my earlier view on the fan involvement with getting more for their dollars.
  • ParagonT - March 22, 2012 6:45 a.m.

"I guess I simply just do not share that passion, and yes that may be because I have not played the game" Then you have not truly experienced the game, you need to play it before there is any real validity in anything you said. It's like discussing cliff jumping, for some it's freaking terrifying, for some it's a thrill; you need to experience it to be able to talk with validity. "As far as IP's like call of Duty pertain to me, I can bet you have spent more consumer dollars on Call of duty and the like than I have Paragon so if you live in a glass house, maybe you should think twice before throwing that stone." I'm afraid not, my girlfriend borrows my step-brother's copy's and plays them, but I guess out of all of them I only play Black Ops (which is borrowed again, mainly for zombies.). So I really don't support CoD financially. My step-brother does, but he's an idiot. In all, I'm glad we can agree on somethings and were reaching for middle ground, the game is great, but Bioware is marketing a service/product and needs to cater to its fans. They're a business, not a group of artists. Although they may make video games that people consider "art", they have a ulterior motives of getting paid, and making money. The goal does not justify the means. I don't like whining as much as the next person, but I'm not going to deny the fact that it's going to happen. It's not wrong, but it's not right neither.
  • TheHowetzer - March 22, 2012 8:10 a.m.

"In all, I'm glad we can agree on somethings and were reaching for middle ground, the game is great, but Bioware is marketing a service/product and needs to cater to its fans. They're a business, not a group of artists. Although they may make video games that people consider "art", they have a ulterior motives of getting paid, and making money." I am glad we can agree as well Paragon, also I could not have said it better myself about the company's and the consumers responsibilities. It also makes a great argument against the whole "Video games = art" disscusion, and I find disscusions fun.