Topics

lawsuit legal

• ParanoidAndroid - September 27, 2011 11:09 p.m.

This is ridiculous. I've actually lost respect for Bethesda, if it is them picking on the little guy. Nice to see Notch taking it so well.
  • Allegr0pixel - September 27, 2011 10:53 p.m.

This is so silly. I feel really sorry for Bethesda here...the devs and everyone involved in making and publishing games have nothing to do with this legal issue, yet everyone is screaming "BETHESDA IS MEAN, SCREW SKYRIM I'M NOT BUYING THEIR WHORE GAMES ANYMORE!!!!!11!" when in reality their lawyers are just on a crash course because they're doing their job...to be legal douchebags, because that's what lawyers are :/ People who are blaming the entire company for this, please blame the one person who hired their lawyers, not the developers.
  • AqueousBoy - September 28, 2011 3:16 a.m.

Two things: 1) People scream all the time that they're going to boycott a company's game but never do (e.g. Left 4 Dead 2), and 2) One person didn't hire the lawyers - Bethesda, the entire company, did. Bethesda does look bad in all of this but there's no real downside for them. Lose respect? Please, people will still buy their games. That said, they should drop the suit because it's only going to cost them money they don't need to spend.
  • rabidpotatochip - September 28, 2011 6:51 a.m.

I think the concern here is brand dilution. Trademarks are really funny in that you tend to lose them if you don't enforce them. I agree that the lawsuit is kind of silly but at the same time, I can't help but think they've done the math on this one before jumping in with both feet.
  • Manguy17 - September 28, 2011 7:25 a.m.

Your point about L4D is so true, i once looked at the profile of some guy i played L4d2 with, and i noticed he was in the group L4D 2 boycott
  • BackwaterRifle - September 28, 2011 3:56 p.m.

Actually it is zenimax sueing mojang
  • Balaska - September 27, 2011 10:42 p.m.

Bethesda, the new Activision! Seriously though, I hope the court pimp slaps Bethesda with their own solicitors for this ridiculous waste of time and money.
  • TheMagnificentManCooker - September 27, 2011 10:22 p.m.

The amount of dumb is killing me
  • D0CCON - September 27, 2011 9:10 p.m.

Again, not a single one of my friends knows the series is called the Elder Scrolls. They know one is named Oblivion, one is named Skyrim, and a couple know that one is named Morrowind. If I tell them an Elder Scrolls sequel is coming out, they have no idea what I'm talking about. If I tell them it's a sequel to Oblivion, then they get it.
  • mockraven - September 28, 2011 7:15 a.m.

I totally agree with you, there. Even though the series is "The Elder Scrolls" every one who talks about the games talk about Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim. Though few talk about the first two mentioned, but that's beside the point. People don't associate "The Elder Scrolls" with a specific Bethesda game much less the word "Scrolls." If Blizzard didn't care about the similarity of the name "Minecraft" vs "Warcraft" (both also have mountains and landscapes in them, if that's a legitimate concern) then I don't see why Bethesda should care about this, unless they're using a unique method to supply Mojang's advertising. Stupid is as stupid does, I guess.
  • yonderTheGreat - September 28, 2011 11:36 a.m.

Your friends are depressingly dumb. TES is one of the greatest RPG series of all time. I'm assuming they don't know what Daggerfall or Arena are either.
  • D0CCON - September 28, 2011 2:14 p.m.

Tis true (at least I know Daggerfall and Arena), but the point I was trying to make is that the word scrolls isn't what people associate with Bethesda's masterpieces. It's the word after the colon that gets all of the attention.
  • mockraven - September 28, 2011 2:30 p.m.

You must be one of the few who say "check out the latest Elder Scrolls Five trailer." To be honest, your statement sounds like a generic fanboy defense. It's not depressingly dumb to be more aware of the individual titles than the series since: 1.) The series name is always overshadowed on the packaging by the title, and 2.) It's much faster to say "Skyrim," "Arena," or "Oblivion" than it does to say "The Elder Scrolls [version number]: [version name]." In regards to the article, it's hard to mistaken Scrolls for a Bethesda title. The logo is different, the trademark is different, the game style is different, the art style is different. There is no resemblance to any of the rpg games Bethesda has published and there is no more likeness between the two titles than there is between "God of War" and "Gears of War," both of which share two words in their title, and in the same order, but are completely different and published by different companies. For that matter, why don't we include "Star Wars," "Guild Wars," and "End War?" When using a generic word you're bound to have overlap in names.
  • augdog - September 27, 2011 9:06 p.m.

All the same, this has to be good publicity for Scrolls.