• universaltofu - December 30, 2013 9:12 p.m.

Loved playing zombies ate my neighbors co-op when I was younger, vying for precious bazooka and holy cross ammo. Need to give RE4 another run, the chanting in the castle is always a little creepy.
  • GenderBender_9000 - December 30, 2013 5:38 p.m.

Red Dead and Call of Duty aren't zombie games. I call shananagins on this list. Shananagins I say!
  • BladedFalcon - December 30, 2013 8:08 p.m.

The modes described in the list ARE most definitely zombie gameplay related though, more so than the top 3 games on this list. So they're technically more of zombie games within those modes and DLC than TLOU, RE4 and TWD. XD
  • LordZarlon - December 30, 2013 4:23 p.m.

How could you forget the greatest Zombie game of all time! Plants Vs. Zombies is truly in a class all by itself!
  • StrayGator - December 30, 2013 3:57 p.m.

You should change your weekly format to something like "Top 7 Best ______ (except The Last of Us)".
  • TanookiMan - December 30, 2013 3:15 p.m.

My vote would be for Metal Slug 3. The zombie level in that game is awesome and teaches you what to do if you get turned into a zombie: keep slaying other zombies with killer blood-puke!
  • JMarsella09 - December 30, 2013 3:09 p.m.

I love Resident EVil 4, but the Gamecube Remake will always stand as my favorite of the series. It truly embodies what survival horror should be. Also, Las Plagas... Not Zombies... Just saying....
  • BladedFalcon - December 30, 2013 2:19 p.m.

Hmm... I don't know, even though I absolutely love The Last of Us, I wouldn't have put it on top of the list, mainly because this is about best "zombie games" To me, this is just beyond the fact that has zombies in it. (And yes, TLOU's infected could be considered a variant of zombies in the way they spread disease and behave even if they aren't strictly zombies. And then again, neither would be the runners found in games like Left 4 Dead for that matter.) When I am thinking "Zombie game" I am thinking something that evokes that feeling of complete desolation, being completely outnumbered and doing anything it takes to survive. TLOU does do this great from a story stand point, but from a gameplay standpoint, I'd think games like Left 4 Dead, or what I've heard from Day Z fit the bill better. TLOU's gameplay is pretty damn good, but it odes fall into a more conventional category of action/stealth hybrid, and not so much a survival zombie game as other games are. And seriously, why isn't Day Z here? Haven't played it myself, but from what I've heard and watch, that feels like it captures very well the essence of a survival zombie game in terms of gameplay.
  • BladedFalcon - December 30, 2013 2:22 p.m.

To word it in another, more succinct way. To me, this list feels less like "top 7 best zombie games" and more like "Top 7 best games with zombies in it". Mainly because the top 3 in this list are very GOOD games... but not really zombie games, since you're not dealing with hordes at every turn or scrambling to find supplies to survive.
  • TheGooseinator - December 30, 2013 2:47 p.m.

Day Z probably didn't make it on for one very specific reason; it's broken. Conceptually, Day Z is nearly perfect; all it gives you is a zombie apocalypse, the tools you need to survive, and other survivors to help or hinder at your leisure. Problem is, the game is an absolute beast to control, the interface is cluttered and incomprehensible, and at least in its current "alpha" state, the game is an unwieldy, buggy mess. Day Z 's concepts would make for the perfect zombie game, but until the game's execution can catch up, it's probably better if it stays off the list. Who knows, maybe in a year or two, whe the game is released proper, I'll think differently. Wow, that was a rant and a half! Sorry for making you read all that, Bladedfalcon!
  • BladedFalcon - December 30, 2013 5:18 p.m.

Ahh... see, everyone praises the concept so much that it was my main take-away. But yeah, if the game is broken and buggy as hell, it doesn't deserve a spot just yet. Which is also why I didn't mention Dead island, because conceptually, the game is also a fantastic zombie game, but it's also a buggy ass, nonsensical game. and lol, you're being sarcastic with that apology, aren't you :P
  • TheGooseinator - December 31, 2013 8:09 a.m.

Maybe lol. Also, you know what game looks awesome, speaking of Dead Island? Dying Light! Even without the zombies, I've wanted a new game that truly utilizes first person parkour since Mirrors Edge. It's made by the same developer, so I'm cautiously optimistic due to the potential of serious bugs, but if they get it right, it could very well make this list.
  • BladedFalcon - December 31, 2013 8:12 a.m.

Oh yeah! I'm definitely keeping an eye for dying light, and do have high hopes for it. Like you, I'm still wary about the glitches, but what has been shown about the game so far does look like a more tightly developed experience, so here's hoping!
  • GOD - December 30, 2013 9:12 p.m.

From reading your description I'd say what you're thinking of when you think "Zombie game" is arcade style shooters. Tons of enemies. Tons of bullets. Mowing down enemies. TLOU just takes a more practical style. It's not a stealth game with "zombies" but rather a game about the practical handling of "zombies" and that being stealthy will probably save you some of your realistically not near infinite supply of ammo. TLOU is great because it makes "zombies" a threat, rather than fodder that exists to give you something to fire at on your way between story points. I'm not insulting the other games on this list, but most don't really give any weight to encountering a "zombie." In the case of TLOU, it's the quality of the threat made by each zombie, rather than the the threatening amount of zombies that's emphasized. The Walking Dead doesn't really have zombie survival gameplay, but still is very much a zombie game. Clearly breaking down the normal conventions for a genre can to lead to good evolutions in it.
  • BladedFalcon - December 30, 2013 9:31 p.m.

I'm not thinking arcade style shooters at all. You said it yourself, those give you tons of bullets and resources, and that's not what a good zombie game is about IMO. A good zombie game is one that sends you the zombies by the horde, (yes, this makes them less "dangerous" individually, but that's the entire point of any zombie scenario, a single zombie isn't meant to be super dangerous on it's own, it's the packs of them that make them a true threat.) but also forces you to strategize and manage your resources, making it so running and hiding are very much viable options as well. Dead Island and Dead Rising are both very flawed franchises, but they got that core concept right: You can't just shoot or bash skulls nonstop, at one point you gotta find more supplies and resources. TLOU is fantastic game as I mentioned before, and it's my game of the year, easy. But first of all, you're fighting humans half of the time, and the other half is yes, against zombies... but in a very limited, controller number. Yes, that makes each singular zombie more dangerous, but it makes the pacing and tone of the gameplay feel more like a traditional action or stealth game like Tomb Raider, Dishonored or Uncharted itself, rather than one like state of decay, left 4 dead or dead island, which to me, have a distinct feel and flavor of their own. And for the Walking Dead. Again, fantastic game, but it's not a Zombie game. it's an adventure game set in a zombie apocalypse. That means the setting and story do deal with zombies, but the gameplay is very much like other adventure games. Again, to me, the distinction here is that TLOU and TWD are games with zombies in it, but the gameplay itself isn't really based around the idea of surviving a zombie apocalypse, the story might be, but the gameplay doesn't reflect that. In that sense, as awful as TWD: Survival instinct is, it IS more of a Zombie game than Telltale's TWD games to me. Mind, even then, I'd never put Survival instinct in this list, or any list that deal with positive or good qualities for that matter.
  • GOD - December 30, 2013 9:49 p.m.

I respectfully disagree with your definition of a zombie game. Zombie game to me is a tone shown by the gameplay, and not a gameplay itself. The TLOU and The Walking Dead perfectly show me that they are zombie games when the use the gameplay to show me the purest forms of desperation so survive. Having to decide whether to use your alcohol to make a molotov to kill more zombies or for self medication, or having to kill those who moments ago you would've died for, are two gameplay decisions that very much set the tone of a zombie game to me. Just like how sometimes the best types of games, aren't even meant to be that type of game, but end up setting that kind of gameplay tone that makes them that way anyways. If it sounds like platformer, looks like a platformer, and plays like a platformer, but the box calls it a shooter ten times over, it can still be the best platformer ever. Some one could make the best zombie game ever tomorrow, but have all the "zombies" look like Jigglypuff. Heck, when you fight against the grims in Resistance you're basically fighting waves of zombies, but no one would ever call that a zombie game because the tone set by the gameplay hardly fits that style. Also, Survival Instinct has you fighting humans half the time as well. I'm guessing you didn't know that because why would anyone even bother playing that game for any reason besides showing how wrong their survival instinct is by starting up that game.