Topics

Best

We Recommend

• BottleBank - August 9, 2012 3:22 p.m.

I appreciate that this is one man's opinion, but i don't agree at all. There simply hasn't been enough decent (let alone good) video game-movies to make up a best of list. Unless you're in a spectacularly forgiving mood, the movies listed above range from not bad efforts (PoP, Silent Hill) to absolute shit (pretty much all of the others). It's like listing the top 10 Justin Bieber songs. Fingers crossed they'll resurrect the Bioshock movie. Throw a good director and budget at it, and it could be a winner.
  • bebl09 - August 9, 2012 5:22 p.m.

I'd forgotten about the Bioshock movie, that could make an amazing film if they did it right, ie got in a good writer/director and gave them full control over it. I can imagine Christopher Nolan making an incredible Bioshock film adaptation.
  • LBD_Nytetrayn - August 9, 2012 2:47 p.m.

I am both surprised and delighted to see Super Mario Bros. at #5. I can't speak for Prince of Persia or Silent Hill, but I do know that Mortal Kombat and Tomb Raider hit their respective marks more closely than Mario, so #5 is pretty good... especially given all of the hate the movie usually gets from sites such as this.
  • RonnyLive19881 - August 9, 2012 1:57 p.m.

I'm so glad I'm not the only person that loved the Mario movie! And Silent Hill is only better than Resident Evil in one aspect... it's movies(Although I did love Shattered Memories! Best Wii horror game by far! Still got nothing on the Resident Evil GCN remake or even RE2). I did enjoy the first two Resi films but they don't hold a candle to Silent Hill. Can't wait for the sequel!
  • colin-knapp - August 9, 2012 1:42 p.m.

Funny. I remember seeing a list just the other day where almost ALL of these were called 'The Worst Video Game Movies' of all-time. In particular, Doom, Silent Hill, SMB, Resident Evil 2 and on, Mortal Kombat, Prince of Persia and Dead or Alive. Those movies are TERRIBLE. Whereas Postal, The Last Starfighter, FF: Spirits Within, Scott Pilgrim, King of Kong, and I'm sorry but ANY Uwe Boll movies before Postal should not be on here.
  • RedHarlow - August 9, 2012 1:36 p.m.

I quite enjoyed the Silent Hill movie. The monster design was tops; I liked how for a lot of monsters they used people in suits rather than just going for CG.
  • BladedFalcon - August 9, 2012 1:22 p.m.

Despite lot of people knocking on the PoP film, I thought it was pretty decent and enjoyable. Not a masterpiece by any means, but a much more solid and enjoyable film than most of the others listed in this list. Doom was also surprisingly better than I expected, but also had a ton of flaws. Mortal Kombat and Silent Hill are movies that I definitely should watch. I remember loving the MK film when i was younger, but it's been a while and i honestly can't tell if I liked it just because I was young and impressionable, or if it was because it was genuinely good.
  • obviouslyadouche - August 9, 2012 1:08 p.m.

Karl urban is the best name ever.
  • GREmLiN324 - August 9, 2012 1:06 p.m.

What about Final Fantasy The Spirit Within? I know they it's completely different from the games but it still kinda counts.
  • MrDobble - August 9, 2012 12:47 p.m.

I really enjoyed the Hitman film. It quite accurately captured 47's emotionless brutality and his intelligence. I loved that bit where he sees two kids playing Hitman and pauses for a few seconds, looking at himself in a game. :)
  • Hishen - August 9, 2012 12:42 p.m.

How can you talk about a list of good video game movies WITHOUT mentioning Ace Attorney? This is legitimately mind boggling, as Ace Attorney is actually both a critical and commercial success. It won the Audience Award New York Asian Film Festival, and as someone who has seen it, I can assure you it is better than every film on this list combined. Its a movie that actually drew big laughs out of the audience, and at two points, straight applause and the sheer badass of the the events being witnessed. Ace Attorney isn't just a great video game movie, it might very well be the best one to date. As a great lover of both film and video games, I am almost offended Ace Attorney was left off this list.
  • ShadeOfLight - August 9, 2012 12:30 p.m.

Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva. End of discussion. (Advent Children is also fun to watch, if only for the awesome fight-scenes)
  • FunkyDarkKnight - August 9, 2012 12:25 p.m.

...no Postal? I actually found that one pretty funny.
  • rob619 - August 9, 2012 12:23 p.m.

Agree I loved Mortal Kombat when it first came out, I was a big game MK fan as that was known to be the best during the early 90's. Hitman is a good serious movie. The Resident evil movie is still going strong even after all the movies released each year. I will now order Silent Hill to watch on Blu-Ray thanks to this list.