Topics

Games stealth

• GoldenEagle1476 - October 10, 2012 2:12 p.m.

Really? SC Conviction, not Chaos Theory?
  • MyCoolWhiteLies - October 10, 2012 2:27 p.m.

Ha, I was literally gonna say that. Chaos Theory is easily the best Splinter Cell game, and probably should be in the top 3.
  • sutrebla15 - October 10, 2012 4:13 p.m.

Conviction was the least stealthy SC game ever, what the hell.
  • winner2 - October 10, 2012 2:27 p.m.

I agree with all of these except conviction. Especially if you're comparing it to the other SC games, in which case I'd go with Double Agent.
  • Redeater - October 10, 2012 2:31 p.m.

SC Conviction? NO THIEF?? What the hell? Dishonored has stellar scores and it plays like an updated version of Thief.
  • Redeater - October 10, 2012 2:33 p.m.

I find that pretty goddamned crazy considering Dishonored is #3 on your list.
  • BladedFalcon - October 10, 2012 2:53 p.m.

"Dishonored has stellar scores and it plays like an updated version of Thief." I think you just answered your own question. If it plays just like thief, but if it has updated graphics, updated game mechanics, better setting... Why exactly is it baffling?
  • Redeater - October 10, 2012 11:59 p.m.

.....seriously? Are you just looking to troll? 1. The games aren't even made by the same company. Why is it nobody ever puts The Great Giana Sisters above Super Mario 1 since it plays better and looks better? 2. Thief 2 had consistently better scores when it was released than Dishonored does. 3. This game was made more than a DECADE after Thief and plays exactly like it. So we have an original game that virtually created the stealth genre....was so groundbreaking that a game created more that ten years later is almost a carbon copy of it.......scored higher in reviews....and was created by a different company, thus leaving it out of that whole "best game in a series of games" argument. Just because something is newer and shinier doesn't mean it invalidates something older. How many critics preferred the Psycho remake to the original? Or (god forbid) the original Star Wars to the "Special Edition" ones.
  • Ulukai - October 11, 2012 2:43 a.m.

Yep, no Thief games being mentioned is just silly. Dishonored may be worthy of this list (I can't judge it as I have not played it) but one of the first two Thief games definitely deserve more recognition on a list like this. Thief is one of the defining games in the stealth genre. One of the things that made it such a uniquely brilliant stealth game was that you were just a thief that was only good at sneaking around stealing stuff, you were not some badass assassin that could handle themselves in a fight.You really felt like stealth was the best option, and on higher difficulties you weren't even allowed to kill. Plus the Thief games have some of the best level design I have ever experienced. The lighting and the sound were really used well to create the perfect atmosphere for a stealth game. Shalebridge Cradle in the third game for example, is a level I will never forget, and neither will my underwear.
  • BladedFalcon - October 11, 2012 5:31 a.m.

How exactly am I trolling? I simply pointed out something you yourself said in your comment, as for your points: 1.- It may not be made by the same company, but as i understand it, the people behind the creation of the Thief series also worked on this game, and if the core gameplay is similar enough, it would be redundant to put two games from it. Same reason why if they made a "best action games" list and they put Bayonetta in the list and not any of the DMC games it would make sense, at least to me. It may not be made by the same company, but the creator is the same, and Bayonetta has the same core gameplay only it's a way more polished, faster paced, and better presented game. 2.- You said it: TEN YEARS ago, if the game was re-released, exactly as is right now, I bet you it wouldn't get nearly the same ammount of high scores. Goldeneye for the N64 also had rave reviews back when it came out, but it looks like shit today, and doesn't play nearly as good, specially compared to any twin stick shooter. 3.- I'm gonna take this statement with a grain of salt simply because I am pretty sure there was no ability to control time/warp/Summpon and posses rats and fish in the thief series. The core gameplay may be the same, but the level design, powers and tools different enough to me. Again, it all boils down to opinion of course, but once again your argument sounds more like you're confusing "important" and "best of it's time" with "It looks and plays and feels great NOW". Also, you should know better than to compare older and newer movies the same way as videogames.
  • Galaxy010 - October 10, 2012 2:38 p.m.

GR always has great lists, but this one is just...what? I mean, some the games on the list aren't stealth games. Sly 2? AC2? Arkham City (yes it has stealth segments but the game is more so based around beat-em-ups)? Not to mention Conviction was the least stealthy of the SC games. Where's Chaos Theory? Plus the lack of Thief II on this list is rather odd. I don't mean to "be rude" or whatever, but I just fail to see how this can be classified as a list of the "best stealth games."
  • thyho - October 10, 2012 2:46 p.m.

The first SC was the best SC. And yeah where da hell is THIEF 3 and Manhunt.
  • BladedFalcon - October 10, 2012 2:50 p.m.

Being a person that has played more than half of these games, and which has MGS as one of his favorite VG franchises ever. I do agree with most of this list. INCLUDING the decision to put SC: Conviction over any of the others. It's obviously a matter of personal taste of course, but i never really got into any of the previous SC games, and I played the first one, Chaos Theory and Double agent. And i never got to finish a single one of them. Why? not because they were too hard... But because I just found them to be boring. I mean- The story of any of them isn't really memorable, and let's be frank, the stealth isn't so much a test of skill and knowing how to out-manuever your enemy, it was a matter of trial and error. I WILL agree that Conviction is technically far less "Stealthy" than any of the previous SC games, but as a game itself I enjoyed it far more, and i actually did get to finish it. And I personally found that the stealth was just... More fun.
  • tehtimeisnow - October 10, 2012 2:50 p.m.

stelth games suck there to slow and ferst person shoot games r superier in everyway
  • christian-shaffer - October 10, 2012 11:27 p.m.

I'm impressed. You're grammar and spelling have actually gotten worse. I'm aware you're a troll, but bravo for upping the bar for ignorance on the internet.
  • taokaka - October 10, 2012 3:55 p.m.

What about pokemon? I always find myself taking the stealthy approach and trying to stay unseen on each route in between towns so I don't have to battle so many copy paste trainers.
  • BladedFalcon - October 10, 2012 4:06 p.m.

...Seriously? :P
  • winner2 - October 10, 2012 10:06 p.m.

...that really is the best comment I've seen today, and is also brilliantly valid.
  • tehtimeisnow - October 10, 2012 10:39 p.m.

no cuz pokaman sucks its just garbege games for littel kids
  • Hobogonigal - October 11, 2012 7:34 a.m.

Sorry, I'm the complete opposite. I look for trainers to battle! But then again, that is because I level up a team of 4 so that they are all on the same level throughout the game. Whenever I am down to 1 pokemon though, I do activate stealthy ninja mode though and try to sneak past everyone...