• tyler_14_420 - April 17, 2012 3:44 p.m.

I'm shocked Super Mario RPG isn't on here. Created by the same people who made Chrono Trigger, it was truly an excellent RPG that introduced kids into the RPG genre. Chrono Trigger is a bit-heavy for the average kid, and Super Mario RPG was an excellent introduction into the genre with a simple understandable story, memorable characters, and simple yet addicting gameplay. Chrono Trigger expanded upon that with tightened up gameplay, an excellent story, and an excellent set of characters but playing Chrono Trigger when I was young and playing it when I was old, I can easily see that SMRPG is more suitable for a younger audience, and yet, is fun for all ages. It's a staple of any Nintendo-fan as it's one of those classic Nintendo games that is suitable for all ages, not merely because it's casual, but because it's approachable and entertaining.
  • Javimetal - April 17, 2012 3:35 p.m.

The pic for FFII is from the Game Boy Advance release, not from the original Snes. I'd have included Terranigma, although it was only released in Asia / Europe, it have one of the most sweet and emotional storyline and characters of all time.
  • ncurry2 - April 17, 2012 3:24 p.m.

I'm sorry. Maybe it's just because the N64 was my first console so I subsequently only ever played SNES as an emulator but personally, I don't see how so many people can call it the indisputable best console. I did really enjoy playing through Super Mario World but I'd rather take Mario 64 or either of the Galaxies over it. Idk, the games on the list that I've played just don't warrant best console ever to me. But I know I'm in the majority on this one. To each his own I suppose.
  • ncurry2 - April 17, 2012 3:24 p.m.

*not in the majority*
  • CrashmanX - April 17, 2012 3:44 p.m.

It's this magical thing called Nostalgia and opinions. Much the same how I don't see how everyone loves Ocarina of Time. In my opinion, it's meh. Then again, I grew up with a SNES and a PS1.
  • BladedFalcon - April 17, 2012 9:46 p.m.

Except many of the games listed here still hold up really well. Several of them I played them for the first time just recently, without nostalgia involved, they are are pretty compelling games. Super Punch Out, Castlevania IV, and Final Fantasy VI are games I played no earlier than 2 years ago, and they are all phenomenal. So no, I honestly don't believe nostalgia is coloring things unfairly.
  • Cyberninja - April 17, 2012 2:51 p.m.

They really should just make a top 7 RPGs of all time just so we can see CT as number 1
  • lisa-patterson - April 17, 2012 2:35 p.m.

the best games for the super nes... super mario RPG, Final Fantasy 3 (that game started me on my FF addiction)...
  • slimjim441 - April 17, 2012 2:30 p.m.

Wow, just those top 3 right there. That's the entire reason I own a SNES. Would've liked to see Super Castlevania IV higher up, but that's just me.
  • Temperance11 - April 17, 2012 2:19 p.m.

I second Super Mario RPG, easily in my top 10 favorite games of all time. Good to see Mega Man X made though, also on my top 10.
  • tiuds50 - April 17, 2012 1:45 p.m.

correct me if i'm wrong but pretty sure that's a FF IV pic for FF II
  • tiuds50 - April 17, 2012 1:47 p.m.

nevermind im just dumb and didn't read the description under it..
  • BladedFalcon - April 17, 2012 1:56 p.m.

...Oh, then forget my belated clarification below ^^;
  • BladedFalcon - April 17, 2012 1:52 p.m.

FF II IS FF IV. They even said so in the article: "The jump from the first Final Fantasy to this (which was released as FFII, even though it was actually FFIV)"
  • Rowdie - April 17, 2012 1:43 p.m.

No Super Street Fighter of any sort? Is this a late April Fools joke?
  • ObliqueZombie - April 17, 2012 1:45 p.m.

Read the beginning text, they explain why they didn't include Street Fighter. Pro tip: reading helps! ^_^
  • Rowdie - April 17, 2012 5:53 p.m.

Hey jack, I read it. It's BS. Then they stuck a ssf game on the Genesis list were it wasn't as good.
  • ObliqueZombie - April 17, 2012 1:43 p.m.

Fantastic list. I'll have to snag an emulator or purchase the real deal (if it's not absurdly overpriced) to try some of these. Sadly, I didn't get much of a game console until the 5th generation, which was my PS1. I do remember Super Mario World and Street Fighter, and that's about it. I gotta get me some of these!
  • oneshotfinch - April 17, 2012 1:38 p.m.

Hmm, Chrono Trigger was number 3 on the top 100 games last year. Goes to show how much of the staff that made that list are gone now...
  • BladedFalcon - April 17, 2012 2:02 p.m.

Pretty sure CT is still going to be within the top 5, so is it really that much of a difference? Besides, I think both games are at the top of their genre, but they are both very different games, so which is best honestly depends on who likes said genre better. I personally do tend to agree that Super Metroid IS better than CT, but that's my own personal opinion, of course.