Topics

Best

• alexandre-bret - July 19, 2012 4:48 p.m.

Earthbound? Really? Over Final Fantasy 6 no less. Disgusting. That game was boring, characters were boring and had no personality the dialogue and writing wasn't funny and the soundtrack was lame. FF6 destroyed that game. Wouldn't even put it in the top whatever. travesty.
  • oddprophet - July 19, 2012 4:43 p.m.

I like a lot of these but I actually preferred star ocean 3 and phantasy star 2 to quite a lot. And also there's the more obscure titles like baten kaitos, breath of fire, romancing saga and the atelier and tales of series. Tales of symphonia is a JRPG isn't it? Oh and Eternal Sonata, that was pretty good too! And Blue Dragon was pretty great. Actually, there are quite a few great ones. I'd have a hard time choosing 10 of the greatest myself...
  • Moondoggie1157 - July 19, 2012 4:30 p.m.

Well, I guess this is the perfect time for me to plug Legend of the fucking Dragoon. But it's okay GR, devote the last slide to FF7... I mean it was so great... I nearly got through the first disc before getting bored. Shit, I hope I didn't start anything.
  • LordZarlon - July 19, 2012 4:13 p.m.

I can't believe you have no love for the Phantasy Star series. Phantasy Stars 2 and 4 were terrific and still have cool stories even today.
  • GR_HenryGilbert - July 19, 2012 4:54 p.m.

Phantasy Star IV very nearly made it. Consider it an honorable mention.
  • pin316 - July 19, 2012 3:33 p.m.

awesome list - nice job guys... Skies of Arcadia is one of my favorite games of all tmie - smashed the crap out of the dreamcast version, dreamcast died, then when I had a gamecube and saw they were re-releasing it I smashed the crap out of it all over again!
  • ThatGamerDude - July 19, 2012 3:31 p.m.

One of my favorite video game genres period. Choosing which JRPGs are my favorite that weren't listed on here is rather difficult besides Kingdom Hearts and Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. Though for my favorite 2D JRPGs, I have to go with Pokemon Emerald, FFV, and Secret of Mana.
  • Guiltygate - July 19, 2012 3:28 p.m.

PERSONA! :D
  • NanoElite666 - July 19, 2012 3:19 p.m.

No mention of the excellent Golden Sun games? For shame GR, for shame.
  • Redeater - July 19, 2012 3:31 p.m.

I thought for sure they would have stuck it on the last frame of the slide in some sort of collage like they tend to do. Instead they dedicated that entire slide to Cloud.... I am chuckling at the complete lack of FF13 or 13-2.
  • JMarsella09 - July 19, 2012 3:16 p.m.

As a huge fan of the genre, I'll say it is extremely hard to pick a top ten. I'll agree with all your choices, especially Persona, man I love that game. I never played Lunar though... Well now I have to go check it out.
  • Redeater - July 19, 2012 3:11 p.m.

You misspelled FFIV. An honest mistake clearly. Great list though.
  • Redeater - July 19, 2012 3:14 p.m.

It still hurts seeing Earthbound mentioned all the time. I somehow missed out on it when I was a younger. Sure I could play it now but I don't think the magic would be there. Strangely though, I am loving the SHIT out of Grimrock. So I guess sometimes you really can go back.
  • JMarsella09 - July 19, 2012 3:27 p.m.

That's the problem with a list like this. FF4 is a really good JRPG. But with only ten choices some good games don't make the cut... I do think 10 and 6 are better games though. But that's my opinion.
  • Redeater - July 19, 2012 3:38 p.m.

I know. I completely understand why people like 6 over 4. It is bigger and technically more advanced. (Hell you even get to see the end of the world!) For me, getting the Big Whale was one of the greatest moments ever! (Videogame wise that is) So I won't argue about how I prefer 4 to 6. :) Oddly enough my recaptcha is Cecil andpron
  • GR_SophiaTong - July 19, 2012 9:41 p.m.

FFIV is one of my favorites. Not everyone likes it as much as I do.