Topics

best

• Snapp1eApp1e - July 20, 2012 2:59 p.m.

Really? none of the tales of series? Symphonia was the best and deserves to be on the list! It makes rpgs fun and action packed with real tie battle systems! The stories are pretty good and there are tons of unlockables. The tales of series deserves to be on the list!
  • tommygunzII - July 20, 2012 2:06 p.m.

The fact that everyone keeps asking for "more traditional JRPG's" is why they are on the brink of extinction. The pinnacle of gameplay for a Final Fantasy title was FFXII. Since it wasn't FFVII or FFX no one wanted anything to do with it, and some still refuse to give it a try. FFXII was the natural evolution of that series, but to please some of their whiny fans they ax'ed that gameplay style to give those fans what they wanted, FFX. Thats why FFXIII is the way it is. Keep asking for more traditional 1990's style jrpg's (that you or nobody else will buy) and companies like SE will die. They do listen to the fans, for good or bad.
  • tommygunzII - July 20, 2012 2:16 p.m.

I'm speaking of AAA titles.
  • Knux7 - July 21, 2012 10:40 a.m.

No, nobody liked FFXII because it was a single-player version of an MMO in play style. After playing FFXII for hours myself, I just couldn't go on. Though I'm not a fan of XIII either, I think it took a step in a better direction.
  • zombi3grim - July 21, 2012 3:53 p.m.

I played FFXII. It was okay. Nothing great. The story was meh. The combat was fucking terrible. The gambit system made me physically throw up. The only thing that kept me going was the locations. FFXIII is the way it is because its on a next gen system. They couldnt render towns and have the same huge enviroments with the type of cutting edge graphics they wanted.
  • Darkhawk - July 20, 2012 12:36 p.m.

Pretentious bullshit excluding FFVII from this list. What a waste.
  • paul212 - July 21, 2012 12:23 a.m.

Or the other FF games on the list are just better.
  • HeavyTank - July 20, 2012 11:57 a.m.

I played Chrono Trigger a few weeks ago, just to see what the fuss was all about.I normally don't like old games because most of them age very badly (although that's not really true for 2D SNES games- late 2D graphics are timeless and quite pretty to look at) But holy shit, I did not expect a game from 1995 to be able to deliver such a magnificent (and at times moving) story, unforgettable music and gameplay that feels fresh even to this day. The latest FF games can't even hope to compare to it, they just feel boring and stale.Probably because they're predictable as heck and they went a little overboard with the cutscenes. Sometimes simpler is better.
  • yonderTheGreat - July 20, 2012 8:36 a.m.

Unless you don't like the format... then the games pretty much suck.
  • DeathbyFira - July 20, 2012 7:12 a.m.

Suikoden 1 and 2, Breath of Fire 3, Chrono Cross along side Chrono trigger had to be my favorite turn based Rpgs of all time.
  • larkan - July 20, 2012 7:02 a.m.

The most important thing to take out of this article is that the FFX remake is only going to be on Vita, so I can quit holding out hoping for a PS3 release and just buy the PS2 version for $5.
  • ACardAttack - July 20, 2012 5:26 a.m.

Earthbound? That is funny, it is a mediocre game at best. Charters and story are nothing special. The battles are awful. And there the writing is not as funny as fans would make you think
  • ohms - July 20, 2012 3:57 a.m.

All of the games in this list are great games, I agrees. But I still believe that Xenogears deserves to have its place here.
  • runner - July 20, 2012 2:04 p.m.

Couldn't agree more. Xenogears seems always lacked the love for it when anyone make a chart like this. Even though it's other aspects aren't that standout, it's by no mean bad and the story itself is more than enough to earn a place in charts like this.
  • FirLocke - July 20, 2012 2:23 a.m.

Wild ARMs was pretty good too, you know. I've recently started playing FFIX and I'm really enjoying it, it's turning out to be a great game. From all the praise of FFVI I might go to that next! I also hear that Xenogears is pretty fantastic, but it doesn't seem to show up in the comments much. Although, as for me, P4 est la number 1.
  • Marcunio88 - July 20, 2012 6:43 a.m.

FF IX is pretty fantastic, and since it's esentially a love letter to the NES/SNES games you should get on very well with VI. I actually think IX and VI are tied as my favourite of the whole series.
  • Fred1712 - July 20, 2012 12:52 a.m.

I hate to be THAT guy, and I know it's a love/hate series but I have to say Kingdom hearts. But I'm glad Paper Mario was on there because that's my second favorite RPG series. (hence why I bought a 3DS, for Paper mario and Kingdom hearts 3D).
  • lazer59882 - July 19, 2012 10:59 p.m.

actually stopped reading after i saw that FFX cunt, and then you guys stroking yourselves talking about "traditional JRPGs" there was nothing "traditional" about FFX, and if that's the kind of shit you people want a return to, then this genre is more dead than i ever thought. give me a return to the style of FFVI. plain and simple.
  • CrashmanX - July 19, 2012 11:16 p.m.

Would you like a bucket for all those tears? Shoulda looked at entry 3 my friend.