Topics

Best Halloweek

We Recommend

• bigwill1221 - November 2, 2012 9:42 a.m.

Slender? srsly...
  • HyperMemo - November 2, 2012 10:28 a.m.

Finally someone who agrees! I'm the biggest wimp, yet I found this game not at all scary. The only reason its popular is because its a meme.
  • bass88 - November 2, 2012 11:25 a.m.

And that many find it scary.
  • GoldenEagle1476 - November 2, 2012 5:30 p.m.

Overall it's not that scary, although the first time I found Slenderman made me jump.
  • Juan Diaz - November 4, 2012 10 a.m.

Slender Man just has a lot of suspense, nothing more. But yeah it gets pretty freaky when he pops up for the very first time.
  • ThundaGawd - November 2, 2012 10:15 a.m.

Well, since Slender got onto the list, I'd like to add the SCP series, particularly SCP: Containment Breach. Story aside, you're essentially running through a research facility - whose rooms are randomly generated - as you try to escape from SCP-173, who pops up in random rooms and will kill you if you look away from it. The catch is that you automatically blink every 10 seconds, or you can manually blink using the spacebar, so you have to manage your blinking properly otherwise you WILL get killed. On top of that, you have to scavenge for batteries to power your flashlight, otherwise you'll have to run blind, and certain rooms have chemical gasses, requiring you to wear a gasmask, which greatly obscures your vision.
  • Sp3n - November 2, 2012 10:48 a.m.

Clive Barkers: Undying was pretty sketchy, only game to make me save every 3 minutes and to actively fear opening a door. Also the booklet that came with it was a diary about the house, helped set the atmosphere "nobody goes in the basement any more". Towards the end was a bit silly but the first chapter was great.
  • brickman409 - November 2, 2012 5:23 p.m.

no bioshock? well I guess that game was just freaky and creepy, it didn't really any moments that made you jump.
  • SDHoneymonster - November 3, 2012 1:39 p.m.

I found Bioshock scary the first time I played it, but in the end you just end up too powerful to ever feel truly threatened, no matter how many ways it finds to throw splicers at you. There are some truly brilliant jump scares early on though, especially in the Medical Pavilion - a couple of the still get me now, despite having played the game several times.
  • talleyXIV - November 2, 2012 7:55 p.m.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is so tense.....
  • Darkhawk - November 2, 2012 8:21 p.m.

I am genuinely curious why so many people prefer Crimson Butterfly over the original Fatal Frame. Is it just because no one played the original? I found it much scarier, far more original and unsettling in the way it doled out its scares, and all-in-all a better game? I love FFII as well, but it's slightly weaker for me because a lot of the scares were more obvious.
  • Technodude - November 3, 2012 1:38 a.m.

I have to completely agree with Dead Space here. I just love how it makes you feel so alone and helpless in a place as big as that ship. And I'd wince at the sight of every single vent I saw and try and creep past it so slowly so I didn't make a necromorph burst out of it. Of course, that didn't help at all. I remember one time I woke up at 6 in the morning to play it, and I was in Chapter 4(?) and there was a power node room by that large stasis machine with the man inside. One of the slashers jumped out of a vent above me in there and I think I screamed the whole neighbourhood awake! The only bad thing is the scares wear off once you've played it once or twice. I could tell you every vent that contained a necromorph and exactly what's around each corner. But I suppose that's to be expected of all horror games, really; the fear is in not knowing what's going to happen. I'm looking for a few new scares at the moment, so I might give some of these other games a try... Amnesia's caught my eye ;) Just hope it has a Mac version!
  • Nines - November 3, 2012 4:15 a.m.

Where is Call of Cthulhu: DCotE? Amnesia creators borrowed a lot from this game.
  • Dmastaj187 - November 3, 2012 9:57 a.m.

Great to see amnesia at 1, although I can't take that game serious anymore because of pewdie and stefano lol
  • zombi3grim - November 3, 2012 11:02 a.m.

The original Resident Evil not being on this list is a shame...
  • shawksta - November 1, 2013 4:44 p.m.

The thing about the original Resident Evil that otherwise broke the immersion or any serious notions was the horrendous yet hilarious Voice Acting
  • Yukichin - November 3, 2012 12:24 p.m.

In Slender you're being chased by the Slender Man, not just "Slender". :) Honestly, I don't get the hype behind Silent Hill 2. I love love love the Silent Hill series, but 2 just bored me. I really enjoy the layers of symbolism they packed in, but I didn't find it scary.
  • Churchy99 - November 3, 2012 3:04 p.m.

Overall a pretty damn good list: Here would be my favourites (allowing only one game per series) - Project Zero (Fatal Frame) - Resident Evil: REmake (Gamecube version) - Silent Hill 3 - Slender - Condemned: Criminal Origins - Forbidden Siren (I haven't played Blood Curse so I can't put it in!) - Amnesia: The Dark Descent - Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - Lone Survivor - Clock Tower: The First Fear (SNES) And also Hellnight(Dark Messiah) for an honorable mention!
  • tim-zielhuis - November 8, 2012 1:39 a.m.

im really missing my favourite survivor horror game of all time here: System Shock 2 it should be in this list...