• MeanwhileGuy - November 2, 2013 5:52 a.m.

Call of Cthulhu, Rule of Rose, System Shock 2, Condemned, Slender, Fatal Frame, Forbidden Siren, SCP: Containment Breach, Silent Hill 2, Amnesia. All played, all full of NOPENOPENOPE. Dead Space, Resident Evil 2, Doom 3, F.E.A.R., all played, all not that frightening. And Left 4 Dead 2 isn't even horror. I also have a suggestion for your list when you inevitably update it next year: SCP-087. Effing. Terrifying. All procedurally generated, so every time you walk down those goddamn stairs you never know when it will find you. And it does. Every. Single. Time.
  • skirmisher-phoenix - November 3, 2013 8:54 p.m.

SPC-987-B is the scariest sh1t ever. Damned be that game, it always makes me sh1t my pants.
  • Shnubby - November 2, 2013 3:58 a.m.

I played all 3 Penumbra games, Black Plague was easily scarier than Overture since you couldn't fight the enemies, you just had to run! Absolutely terrifying! Requiem wasn't scary due to there not being any enemies at all!
  • ObliqueZombie - November 1, 2013 11:24 p.m.

Great list, I was looking for some games to give me an excuse to take 5 minute breaks every minute during my games sessions.
  • dawko - November 1, 2013 9:47 p.m.

F.E.A.R. is truly remarkable game, consists of proper scares, good action and one of the best enemy A.I. there is in fps shooters. I actually think it has the best A.I. of all games imho
  • Tidus0203 - November 1, 2013 8:47 p.m.

Amnesia is suppose to be scary? the game sucks, the enviroments are bland, and the enemies are boring and unimagitive. there are waaay more better horror games out there that are much scarier and better then amnesia. Even Carrier for Dreamcast.
  • KA87 - November 2, 2013 6:25 a.m.

Are you talking about A Machine For Pigs (sucks hardcore) or The Dark Decent because The Dark Decent is awesome? Also have you ever tried any of the custom storys for the Dark Decent? Custom stories like The Things in the Night, The Great Work, and Tenbris Lake are arguably better and scarier than The Dark Decent.
  • Earthbound_X - November 1, 2013 8:19 p.m.

Man, I really need to play the PS1 Clock Tower game, I've had it for years now, but have yet to play it. The SNES one is awesome.
  • matthew-bigelow - November 1, 2013 7:53 p.m.

I don't do many horror movies or games. I think I watched too many at too young of an age lol. Eternal Darkness scared the fricken crap out of me though wow. But WTF is that thing that flashes on the screen? Number 16.
  • JMarsella09 - November 1, 2013 7:16 p.m.

Rule of Rose being on this list fills me with absolute delight.
  • yodajones - November 1, 2013 7:16 p.m.

No Deadly Premonition? No Illbleed? No Code Veronica or Parasite Eve?
  • shawksta - November 1, 2013 4:43 p.m.

Great list, the actual numbering may vary but they are right for the most parts. I personally perfer Resident Evil 3, not only was it really unsettling but Nemesis is the stuff of nightmares and you know your in deep shit when you hear that theme mere seconds before he appears. However i havent played 2, so i cant say much and maybe your right.
  • Bloodstorm - November 1, 2013 3:49 p.m.

Left 4 Dead and it's sequel aren't horror games. They just aren't.
  • tim-zielhuis - November 8, 2012 1:39 a.m.

im really missing my favourite survivor horror game of all time here: System Shock 2 it should be in this list...
  • RSQViper - November 1, 2013 7 p.m.

It is! It's #14!
  • Churchy99 - November 3, 2012 3:04 p.m.

Overall a pretty damn good list: Here would be my favourites (allowing only one game per series) - Project Zero (Fatal Frame) - Resident Evil: REmake (Gamecube version) - Silent Hill 3 - Slender - Condemned: Criminal Origins - Forbidden Siren (I haven't played Blood Curse so I can't put it in!) - Amnesia: The Dark Descent - Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - Lone Survivor - Clock Tower: The First Fear (SNES) And also Hellnight(Dark Messiah) for an honorable mention!
  • Yukichin - November 3, 2012 12:24 p.m.

In Slender you're being chased by the Slender Man, not just "Slender". :) Honestly, I don't get the hype behind Silent Hill 2. I love love love the Silent Hill series, but 2 just bored me. I really enjoy the layers of symbolism they packed in, but I didn't find it scary.
  • zombi3grim - November 3, 2012 11:02 a.m.

The original Resident Evil not being on this list is a shame...
  • shawksta - November 1, 2013 4:44 p.m.

The thing about the original Resident Evil that otherwise broke the immersion or any serious notions was the horrendous yet hilarious Voice Acting
  • Dmastaj187 - November 3, 2012 9:57 a.m.

Great to see amnesia at 1, although I can't take that game serious anymore because of pewdie and stefano lol