• iggzy880 - April 1, 2011 3 a.m.

Kinda ballsy to put Portal as your #1 but I don't know if I can really deny that. I mean, of all the games that I love that come to mind/are on this list, Portal is probably the only one that doesn't have any glaring bugs, inconsistencies or problems at all. It has a simple yet entertaining and compelling story with incredibly entertaining writing and skilled voice acting. It has almost completely new type of gameplay that works well and is still enjoyable on repeat playthroughs. My only real gripe, and I'm always happy to even see Grim Fandango given notice it deserves and I'm happy to see it making it to the top half. Its just, Gears of War 2 being better then it? I know your explanation for it being on the list being the awesome of Horde Mode and how you accept the questioning of it, but the thing is Grim Fandango truly holds up more. GoW2 was almost to much like the first game, even if the story is a bit better where as Grim Fandango had an undeniably good story that was both fantastical and legitimately Film Noir. Then you have the art direction, a totally different blend of Los Dios de Muerto type art and the aforementioned Noir style, all in some of the best 3D modeling of the time. My final point is, it was one of the early 3D games where you could move and go almost anywhere, and was one of the last great Adventure games, so there was lots to do and lots of little things, and though it was a little clunky like basically all 3D games of that time, it wasn't painfully clunky. I mean, I just replayed it 1-2 years ago and after readjusting to the different feel of the movement compared to present day, it was just as good. I kinda set the path for the pretty good Telltale 3D adventure games we have today too.
  • DecoyOctorok - April 1, 2011 3 a.m.

Portal is a great choice. Mine would probably be Super Mario Galaxy/Super Mario Galaxy 2. I can't think of any other games that so completely represent why we loved gaming in the first place. Nintendo is the Pixar of the industry.
  • blakebeauchamp - April 1, 2011 2:59 a.m.

All of these are fantastic picks, nice job GR.
  • darkrider105 - April 1, 2011 2:57 a.m.

Awesome to see portal at number 1. Also good to see Advanced wars, and WInd Waker (never got to beat it). Great list.
  • freddyqaqualung - April 1, 2011 2:56 a.m.

I agreed up to Portal. I love Portal, but I don't think it's the best game of all time. Then again, I don't have any better ideas, so...
  • Ipoopawesomeness - April 1, 2011 2:52 a.m.

I must say that I disagree with Portal being number 1. Personally, I think Wind Waker should be numba juan. However, that is just my opinion, and it doesn't count for shit.
  • DecoyOctorok - April 1, 2011 2:52 a.m.

I'll also agree that Grand Theft Auto IV's story is just plain overrated. This list needs more Metroid.
  • G0oseG0ose - April 1, 2011 2:51 a.m.

Wind Waker and GTA IV in the top 5? I agree with this list 100%.
  • TURbo - April 1, 2011 2:49 a.m.

Matty Keast is the only reason why Planetside made the list.
  • NotBraze - April 1, 2011 2:46 a.m.

Great list! I'm glad to see my personal favorite, Mass Effect 2, made the top 10.
  • taylornolfi - April 1, 2011 2:46 a.m.

Portal is a fucking 2 hour demo, how can Ocarina of Time not even make the list!? I don't know if it's just me, but I can't understand the huge nerdgasm over Portal.
  • DecoyOctorok - April 1, 2011 2:44 a.m.

Thank you GR for having the balls to leave Ocarina of Time out of a top 100 list and for giving Wind Waker its due credit. It will probably always be my favorite Zelda game and to me it's the one with the most of that intangible Zelda "feel" to it since the series made the jump to 3D. I'll take the warm Caribbean vibe over the colder, darker feel of Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess anytime.
  • juicenpancakes - April 1, 2011 2:42 a.m.

Bonerexlposion. Looks like I won't be getting any work done tonight.
  • MrDuracraft - April 1, 2011 2:42 a.m.

I was waiting for Portal for the entire article, and I was happyhappy when I saw it as #1. Although it's not my personal #1 game, it definitely deserves the spot in every way. Here's hoping Portal 2 dethrones it's predecessor, or gains a number zero (in a good way) spot.
  • ristar200 - April 1, 2011 2:37 a.m.

Thank you guys so much for having the balls to put a Tony Hawk game on the top 100. Every time that series gets brought up in a gaming conversation, it seems to get laughed at for being a skateboarding game, instead of a more traditional game. It's one of the few really good extreme sports games, and I'm glad to see you put it into the top 100. this was definitely a great list.
  • Memph - April 1, 2011 2:36 a.m.

Now THIS is what i come here for. Tbh it's been cold round these parts what with all of the i-phone shovelware and glorified mediocre import games, then you guys give us this and rank Bubble Bobble in a top 100 list with perfect words of well-deserved praise, along with Quake 3, nailing what still makes it great. So much of this list I can get behind, i couldn't resist a reacharound comment. Brilliant stuff. "Fact: Chrono Trigger is the best damn RPG of all time." Words so true they can banish demons and kill the undead.
  • EnragedTortoise1 - April 1, 2011 2:36 a.m.

I've only played about 25% of these. :P
  • TastyCakesMcgee - April 1, 2011 2:35 a.m.

ha ha, love the GR comments. Fairly agreeable list too.
  • LumberjackBoz - April 1, 2011 2:35 a.m.

Great list and lol @ GR comments at the beginning. Tetris seemed pretty anti-climatic at #2 but now that i'm thinking about it and the list's guidelines I guess it really does deserve to be up that high. Still I would have rearranged things slightly. Nice job!
  • OneToBoner - April 1, 2011 2:34 a.m.

HOW COME MY FAVORITE GAME ISN'T ON HERE GAMESRADAR?! BAIS AND UNINFORMED! Great list. I agree with 99% of it. Portal being number one is a bit weird, since it should be switched with Half Life 2. Also, where's Majora's Mask, damn it!