• pukka-pie - July 23, 2013 8:04 a.m.

Okay... I must of just missed it but......................................................... was Final Fantasy 7 on this list? I mean yeah this is an awful list that pretty much ignores everything pre 2003 but no FF7... no Ocorina of Time.... no Banjo Kazooie... no Super Mario World... no Sonic.... no Tetris.... no Space Invaders.... no Donkey Kong.... Is this list a joke or was it written by a 13 year old?
  • veysel-fid - July 23, 2013 10:09 a.m.

Read the whole text...Number 44. : "Representing: The 3D Final Fantasy games" --> includes Final Fantasy VII. The same applies to Zelda (5.) --> Representing: The 3D Zelda games
  • jason-yoo - August 3, 2013 7:07 a.m.

you spelled ocarina of time wrong.
  • carl-billadeau - August 7, 2013 2:06 a.m.

There are a lot of good games on this list, but you missed the mark on a few IMO. Let's start with Final Fantasy: -Final Fantasy Tactics is one of the best games ever made and should represent the entire "Tactics" Genre. I think it also should have been in the top 20 at the very least. It's my 2nd Favorite FF behind VII. -Final Fantasy X should not have been the game to represent all 3D FF Games. -Let's face it, the reason people love FFVII is because it's the best in the series 3D or not. There is a reason it became the fastest selling game in Playstation Network history when it was made available for download, and has sold over 8 Million copies to date. People freaking love it. -On the other hand FFVIII is one of the most underrated video games of ALL TIME. Many people didn't want to take the time to get used to the new GF/Auru battle system, and completely missed out on a great story. It took some time to figure things out, but it was worth it. To people reading this, I implore you to give it another shot. -Final Fantasy IX stands alone in the 3D offerings thus far. None of the 3D FF games have captured the "Fantasy" part of the name quite like this one, and while it has it's critics there are many more who adore every second of this title. -Take your pick VII, VIII, and IX are far better than X in representing the "3D Final Fantasy" titles. Where is Super Mario World? I see Yoshi's Island.... Yoshi is my favorite Mario Character, but I still think Super Mario World is the best Mario game ever made and it deserves to be on this list. None of the Gran Turismo games made this list? NOT ONE? WHAT?! Starcraft over Starcraft II. Sorry... you know what... it's 2AM and I don't really feel like clicking through this list 1 by 1 again to make my write up. I would rate your list a 3 out of 10 Sorry Guys
  • carl-billadeau - August 7, 2013 2:15 a.m.

I don't know why I said Auru system.. I meant junction.
  • Acidworm - August 9, 2013 11:56 a.m.

I'm sorry but I strongly dislike this list as it is heavily biased. It is clear that you are a gamer that has not played many games since before the second half or so of the last console generation. This makes you have no authority on a GOAT list. You can do a Post 2003 or so list but not one that includes games before. You have few games from the X-Box, PS2, Game Cube era and very few games from before this era. You missed out on quite a few iconic titles and series. Goldeneye - How the heck could you miss out on what many calls the greatest shooter of all time and was iconic for split screen play? Super Mario 64 - You clearly never played the N64 much if at all Banjo Kazooie - Similar in style to the platformer of Super Mario 64. I can go with or without this one but it was one of the best games on the n64. Ocarina of Time - Such an epic game Metal Gear Solid 1+2 - I never had a ps1 but I know how iconic snake was, certainly much more so than any of the new ones. Grand Turismo series - Grid and Burnout but not any from this series. You're kidding right? Half Life 1 - You have the second one so I can let this slide but I personally prefer this one. Quake 1+2 - Proof you are a young gamer. Doom 1+2 -Proof you grew up under a rock. Still has a strong retro community and was incredibly defining for fps of the early and mid 90s. Sim City Series - Tough call but I would go for sim city 2000 if not then 3000 but you just cannot have a list without this series in here somewhere Full Throttle - Classic Lucas Arts game. You have Grim Fandago but missed this one. I can understand this one being missed I suppose. Civilization 2 - I never got into the 5th one and regret purchasing it on steam a few months ago but I used to play this one over and over for hours and would put this one as the greatest of the series. Total War Series - Every game I have played from this series deserves to be considered for a spot in this list. I personally would go for Medieval Total War 1. Farcry 1 - Just a great FPS. Super Mario World - My favorite of the 2d era of super mario games. Lemmings - The original 1991 version is amazing and in my opinion needs to be on every greatest 100 list. Load Runner - Like Lemmings is a 2d platform game and a favorite of mine and very iconic. Road Rash - This is a very popular game during the Sega genesis era and in my opinion needs to be in this list. Street Fighter 2 - Umm yeah this game needs to be here. Forget the modern marvel Capcom. This one is the one that needs to be in this list. NBA Jam - This game was tons of arcade fun back in the early 90s. Earthworm Jim - I loved this game from the early 90s and I would put on this list but I can live without it. Mortal Kombat - 1 or 2 needs to be on this list in my opinion. I would go with 2. Tekken 2 - You put a modern Virtua fighter but missed Tekken?
  • TheGooseinator - August 12, 2013 5:05 p.m.

GR, you have crafted the finest gaming list on the Internet. It combines eras and subverts genres, delivering an unbiased, comprehensive, time spanning collection of games. Also, the fact that each game has a clear, defined, and resolute explanation for its inclusion adds to the list considerably. In short, this list serves as a prime example of the creativity, thought, and endless entertainment packed into every Gamesradar article. Great work, guys! ......except for the fact that WIND WAKER SUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
  • StealthKillah - August 12, 2013 6:22 p.m.

I fucking created an account just to say one thing in this list, WHY OF ALL GAMES IN THE WORLD IS CALL OF DOG SHIT IN THERE???? Call of Duty ruined this generation of gamers, nowadays I can't go to a single new game without people talking about COD or yelling "FUCK YOU" just because I beat them or killed them, before COD ever existed, kids didn't say "fuck" or other foul language, after the first 4 original games, the cod games made this generation violent and vulgar. COD just ruined everything
  • jameel-aboulhosn - August 24, 2013 5:52 a.m.

Yes kids never said fuck before CoD. I'm getting old but I'm pretty sure that 15 years ago when I was playing CS beta, that's not even the first time I purposely said fuck. And that was 4 years before CoD 1.
  • drankax - August 17, 2013 6:39 p.m.

Hahaha, The number one game of all time is Portal? Hahaha, who paied for this? This can not be serious. Hahahaha
  • greyhame - August 18, 2013 11:09 a.m.

wheres doom, baldurs gate, and all those other good games. and who says portal is number 1 game of all time
  • sloan-thibodeau - August 19, 2013 1:45 a.m.

This list gets a 4/10 from me. My reasoning? Well I have played a lot of games, especially for my age, I'm only 18 but I have played over 3000 different games and I have to say this list is limited to only the games that are hyped up and still making sequels, and the games that are just really old. Now this is all depending on how you determined the best games, do you take a small group of people and judge them or do you take a public vote? But regardless there are a few titles which should end up on the list regardless. One of these is Mega-Man, I did not see even one of the mega-man games on the list. Personally I liked Mega-Man 9, but again that's a personal opinion. But simply the series is a great interesting environment and it deserved a spot on that list. Another the God of War series, great series, has a lack of obvious story but it is in all a great game to play, and seeing as you had games that have no story at all in the list, Kratos also deserves a spot. Another great series (Though this one may be biased) The Devil May Cry Series, personally I loved DMC3 and I love the series from the first to even the new DMC they are my favorite games of all time so that's why this is a bit biased, but that doesn't change the game, it's fun action gameplay, and you may rate it as a typical "hacck em' slash em'" gameplay but when you look there are few games that take in the combat system like Devil May Cry does, Bayonetta got the closest but lacked a little in the melee combat side and every other game has little ranged combat if any at all. Next up we have your choice of FF games, I don't know which one it falls under because its more of a 2.5D rather than 2D or 3D but FFVII was the greatest FF game of all time, there is no denying it, I personally hate Final Fantasy but I admit this game is one of the greatest games to exist, it invented deep story-lines in games. That's all the smashes I'm gonna do for now but I will compliment you on some good choices. First of Portal, not one person on the face of this earth can say they "Hate" Portal, May not be their favorite but they can't say they didn't have fun while playing it. Next Shadow of the Colossus, It makes sense why this is #4 it was awarded Best Game of The Year 4 years in a row and is still getting awards to this very day, no doubt it's on your list. Sonic the Hedgehog 2, the game that may never be beat, easy game until the last boss, then you will have nightmares for months. This game is a classic it is so much fun that I just have nothing to say about it. Well that's it from me, peace off.
  • jameel-aboulhosn - August 24, 2013 5:50 a.m.

I highly doubt you've played that many games, especially at that age and especially considering you grew up long after arcades went extinct.
  • EAC73 - August 19, 2013 2:09 p.m.

Do you guys not see the point, that this isn't one person that made the list, but the entire staff. Also the reason in not including several titles from the PS1 and N64 era is because they chose games of the same franchise that they thought were better, to which I agree with. Why play Half-Life 1 when 2 was so much better, Or play Super Mario 64 when Galaxy is superior in just about every way.
  • tiago-alves - August 23, 2013 7:28 a.m.

Lemmings? Mickey Mouse - Land of Illusion?
  • jameel-aboulhosn - August 24, 2013 5:49 a.m.

I only have 50 games on this list. And, there are multiples that should never be here: Mario Kart 1 or 64, maybe, not Mario Kart 7. Tetris on Xbox or on PS3, not DS Tetris for sure. Mega man 2? Uh no, more like X X2 and X3.
  • jameel-aboulhosn - August 24, 2013 5:55 a.m.

Why not Rebel Strike 3? Or Tony Hawk American Wasteland (Granted it was a stupidly easy game to pile score bonuses on compared to even PS1 2 or 3)? Why GTA4, the universally agreed worst game in the entire franchise, and not GTA SA the best game in the franchise? Where's Fallout or TES? System Shock? Super Mario RPG wheres that? Wind Waker? Seriously, wind waker?
  • SHiiiFTzZ - August 26, 2013 4:10 p.m.

im fine with the list because it has dark souls witch is usually over shadowed by skyrim
  • mattiasheden - August 29, 2013 2:51 a.m.

Some of these games are really good, but i`ts not my list thats for sure haha Portal yea!!! if i only played on pc thats for sure, and masseffekt 2 seriously everyone knows that the game series got totaly fucked up after the first masseffekt hahaha nice list
  • quinton.c - August 30, 2013 8:07 p.m.

Is he serious? how is wind waker better than ocarina of time?!