• vikingsteve - April 8, 2011 5:47 a.m.

You won't find many simplistic games on my top 20 list. Mario fanboys can get fucked, the game may be popular and fun, but it has nothing for story and the characters are pretty hollow. If it were a popularity list, Mario would be #1, but this is a top 20 games of all-time greatness list that I put together... /thread hijack.
  • vikingsteve - April 8, 2011 5:37 a.m.

My top 20 would be something like this, and yes, I am an MGS fanatic: 1. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 2. Half-Life 2 3. Final Fantasy 6 4. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots 5. Half-Life 6. Metal Gear Solid: Tactical Espionage Action 7. Fire Emblem 7 8. Final Fantasy 7 9. Chrono Trigger 10. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 11. Deus Ex 12. Final Fantasy 9 13. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty 14. Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts 15. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 16. Metroid Prime 17. Silent Hill 18. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City 19. Resident Evil (GameCube) 20. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver I have not finished GTA: San Andreas, and I have not played Shadow of the Colossus. I REALLY wanted to put Quake, Doom, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Goldeneye 007, and Perfect Dark on here... but they don't really have a story to prop them up like these other games do. Certainly some of the best FPS around though...
  • vikingsteve - April 8, 2011 5:16 a.m.

The top 20 alone kills any credibility to this list. Uncharted 2? Red Dead Redemption? GRAND THEFT AUTO FOUR IN THE TOP 5? Gtfo, seriously, GTA4 is easily the worst of the entire franchise. Wind Waker is also the worst of the Zelda franchise unless you're like 10. The absence of Metal Gear Solid 1/3/4 in the top 10 is asinine, Half-Life 2 is top 3 all time, and FF6 is top 10 all time. I can't believe you guys were actually serious about this list! Talk about misguided... Why is it that gaming websites never seem to get ranked lists correct? You have to include a Metal Gear Solid title in the top 10, Half-Life 2 in the top 5, and FF6/7 in the top 10. There is no debating their places, they should NOT fall out of the top 10. It's like saying Joe Montana wasn't the greatest QB of all-time, or that Jim Brown isn't the best RB of all time. It's simply not debatable.
  • Charlie0108 - April 7, 2011 7:10 p.m.

Just completed Portal for the first time, it took me 4 hours have no inspiration to play it again, this list is a shambles
  • Shinespark428 - April 7, 2011 5:33 a.m.

"Than most games" that is.
  • Shinespark428 - April 7, 2011 5:27 a.m.

@KREATIVEassassin it was just my oppinion, and I didn't say all of those games would make it high on the list. That and I was brainstorming the ones they didn't put on the list that MAYBE would make good candidates (and most of them did). Funny how you argued against Nightshade (NES) and Journey to Silius, but didn't argue against Double Dragon II despite the fact many people would. And frankly Nightshade is only my personal opinion, I realize not everyone would agree, however some may very well. Yeah, it's fairly slow paced most of the time and the point and click elements are clunky by today's standards but it did an open world....on the NES. That and the puzzles and combat were actually pretty cool. Enough about that though. I really do like more stuff on the list than not, but there are a few glaring omissions. I'm more upset about the lack of games like Metroid Prime, LoZ: OoT, or Goldeneye than most things. Also, peace out, you sound like you could use it my friend.
  • metalgatesolid - April 6, 2011 6:04 p.m.

Ooooooooooooooooooooh no. Dont agree at all. MGS, Super Mario World and GTA:SA should all be in the top 5. COD above MGS!!!??? NEVER
  • crumbdunky - April 6, 2011 3:01 p.m.

And another day comes where the World sees Portal as amazing and not as the boring, easy, unchallenging one trick pony I find it to be. Certainly, I fail to see why ANYONE would ever play it through twice so as far as replay value goes I see none. Seriously, once you beat the puzzles what's left? Portal2 seems more interesting purely because there's more to it.
  • fatcat6 - April 6, 2011 12:33 p.m.

i have the oppourtunity to get killer 7 OR silent hill 2, not both which one should i get? nice article btw
  • Svage - April 6, 2011 6:42 a.m.

@ JADENkOTOR This list is about games you would want to play. Its about games that transcend time and don't lose their appeal. I for one would gladly play Tetris over Mass Effect 2. Tetris is just plain old fun. Theres a reason why its still around. A classic is a classic. It never gets old.
  • Svage - April 6, 2011 6:35 a.m.

I was like...Portal better be on here. And sure enough. It got the #1 spot.
  • pollenski - April 6, 2011 1:08 a.m.

Thief 2 Hitman 3 Monkey Island 1 or 2...couldnt decide XCOM: TFTD Also Sega Rally WAS awesome but cmon...Dirt takes priority now.
  • Fedexcommando - April 5, 2011 11:22 p.m.

WHERE THE FUCK IS SLY COOPER!?!?!?!? I HATE YOU FOR HAVING A DIFFERENT OPINION ON A GAME I LIKE!!1 That is basically every rage comment here....but seriously....where the fuck is Sly Cooper?
  • Charlie0108 - April 5, 2011 8:48 p.m.

Wondering whether they really think that Portal is the best game ever or whether putting it at number one is just part of the advertising deal with Valve for Portal 2
  • EDfromRED - April 5, 2011 7:46 p.m.

Great article, masterpieces galore. I had all forgot about Cobra triangle untill I saw the screen shots, fantastic little gem!
  • TheDude97 - April 5, 2011 5:55 p.m.

No MGS4? :( And very surprised Orciana didn't make the cut.
  • PS3WolfUK - April 5, 2011 5:03 p.m.

Who are the idiots who created this! talk about rubbish!! probs not even 5% of these I'd agree with! Stupid! Unrealist! Where are the proper games like Duke Nukem etc??!! Wake up and get a life!! What a rubbish read! If your a big gamer do not go past page 1!!
  • michaelwhitty - April 5, 2011 12:11 p.m.

Where is max payne?
  • Ultima - April 5, 2011 8:25 a.m.

This is generally the best top 100 list I have ever seen but I also cant agree with portal being number 1. It is a very clever game but its also very short and linear. It is a mere snack of a game compared to the sunday roast that is Chrono Trigger or Half Life 2
  • LOUDERkirk - April 5, 2011 7:07 a.m.

lol so funny story, as i started reading this i thought to myself "Portal better be on this list" and then as a i continued reading i got to around 30 and still no Portal. I began to get angry. at around 15 i almost commented that i hated you guys for not putting Portal on the list. 10, 9, 8, Fuming... 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, infuriated... 2..... YAY!!!!! porrtallll!!! I then exclaimed to myself