• Darkhawk - February 15, 2013 12:26 p.m.

If there was an award for most over-rated video game of all time, it would go to BioShock. It's an embarrassment to the form that critics continually hold it up as some great masterpiece. It's a (very good) FPS with grade school-level inclusion of some Randian mumbo-jumbo... and the ability to shoot bees from your hands. Shadow of the Colossus is a much better argument for art in gaming.
  • metalgatesolid - February 15, 2013 12:48 p.m.

Where is MGS 1?? The pinicle of videogames/movie crossovers. The game is just amazing. And GTA IV is never anywhere near as good at San Andreas. Fallout 3 is the best game of its kind, better than Skyrim. And Super Mario World has to be the best of Marios pre Galaxy adventures
  • jh4911 - February 15, 2013 1:06 p.m.

No total war!?!?! Madness!!!
  • poopaloop1 - February 15, 2013 1:26 p.m.

I think that an entry from the Jak and Daxter series should at least be on the list, as it was one of the most popular series on the PS2.
  • robert-vaughan - February 15, 2013 1:37 p.m.

Hmm.. I would have switched 1 and 2 but over all decent list
  • tommygunzII - February 15, 2013 2:28 p.m.

SOCOM Navy SEALs should have been on the list. Portal isn't the reason everyone bought Orange Box.
  • zelta38 - February 15, 2013 2:58 p.m.

This is a very good list, nice and contemporary, but the top 10 really feels weak to me, the 11-15 entries seem more like top 10 material than the (admittedly excellent but comparatively not as good) included. And quite frankly, as much as I really love Portal 2, it just looks like it was just the cop-out GOTY for 2011, used where reviewers could not agree if Batman Arkham City, Uncharted 3 or Skyrim was to take top spot among the many, many outstanding releases of that year (probably one of the best years in gaming come to think of it) and everyone just felt that hey we all like this, let's put it on the top spot. Portal is awesome, has unique puzzles with flair, but its own universe is nowhere near as deep as many of the top spot contenders, nor are its characters truly deep, they're fun to interact with, have witty dialogue, but are in an unrealistic world with close to no actual development of who they are or how they became the way they are, not to mention the highly limited things they do. Zelda has more story than Portal even with a reused main character from the dawn of the Zelda world. Arkham City has phenomenal variety in gameplay and situations wrapped up in one of the richest comics-inspired (and respecting) worlds in gaming while taking risks with an established character, Red Dead Redemption is a unique game all its own, there has yet to be anything which even comes close to what it achieves and what it does. Portal is definitely top 10 material, but best game of all time when even Valve's own Half-Life was both more influential and achieves more in the same package? No way.
  • zelta38 - February 15, 2013 3:05 p.m.

Also, Devil May Cry would have been a great addition, it is in effect the revitalised beat-em-up for this generation of gamers and God of War definitely picked up more than a few things from it. Come to think of it, God of War has a place here too!
  • bedelicious - February 15, 2013 3:12 p.m.

Planescape is on the list, I'm happy, it's my number one game :D Also, a lot of other great games. I would have probably put Devil May Cry 3, but either way, great list.
  • ObscureEH - February 15, 2013 5:13 p.m.

I am mildly disappointed that Fable: The Lost Chapters didn't make it on the list, but my favourite redeeming quality was Origins being #40! I think this top 100 is very accurate while considering personal opinions and such. Well done GR.
  • lonefilipe - February 15, 2013 5:44 p.m.

Anyone remeber Outcast (1997)? It's from Infogrames, when I played I was addicted instantly and had to finish it. To this day it's still one of my favourite games of all time. Open World + NPCs react to your actions = Instant WIN
  • Moosewithac - February 15, 2013 5:50 p.m.

Most of these games I figure were voted on my the younger generations. I mean you meet someone who grew up with the NES (back in mid-late 80's) and such. The number one loved game (and been seeing a lot of younger kids want to play it a lot these days) is Duck Hunt. I mean everyone would act all hot shot and such till they foobared and the mutt stands up and just laughs at you. I mean seriously laughs at your failure like the Failed message wasn't enough. lol But it's a decent list but am shocked Balduers Gate 1 and 2 didn't make it. Or Even The (this could all be as one) the old TSR SSI AD&D games., pool of radiance,Darkness,curse of azure bonds, and Secret of Silver blades. These SSI games were really the first true "gamer" games on the PC (Even by todays standard of games maybe the first gamer game, buy attachments,weapons and such and such). You would beat the game, start over (better gear and gold,platinum,copper and such on a harder level). and when the Expansion came out (POR was first then COAB.) You would transfer said party members to the next game and begin a new (at the level they were when transferred). the list seemed nice but incomplete and as for Megaman? Why Mega Man 3? People lost more time with 1 than 3 really. List earned a decent 3/5 stars
  • okamiyazakii - February 15, 2013 5:59 p.m.

Whoever made this list missed a LOT of good games, especially around the late 90's early 2000 era. The list is missing WAY too many good games. Baldur's Gate II? Morrowind? Neverwinter Nights? Ocarina of Time? FF7 and FF9? Ratchet and Clank? Master of Orion? (Just to name a few.) You're trying to tell me that Worms Armageddon is better than all of those critically acclaimed masterpieces? Throw out a lot of these crap choices (like Saint's Row 3 and Geometry Wars, actually pretty much half this list) and replace them with the good games that are missing.
  • gareth-gilsdorf - February 15, 2013 11:06 p.m.

I personally loved Master of Orion 2. I'm also disappointed that Xenogears didn't make the list, since the story was incredibly nuanced and complex, but maybe thats just my nerd talking.
  • john-williams - February 15, 2013 6:08 p.m.

What about The Legend of Dragoon.. 2003 I believe on PS1!
  • mason-clark - February 15, 2013 6:11 p.m.

Really think Banjo-Kazooie should have made this list... but maybe that's just the nostalgia speaking.
  • carl-knoch - February 15, 2013 6:17 p.m.

I was sad not to see Tachyon: The Fringe, on this list. One of my all time favorites.
  • kezins - February 15, 2013 6:20 p.m.

I usually like the stuff here, but you guys must have been doing drugs when you came up with this list. Only one SMT game but you include crap like Bayonetta, Infinity Blade 2, Halo 4 and GTA IV. I'd say maybe 30% of the games you listed actually belong in a top 100 list. I know games are subjective, but I've never seen a top 100 list that I disagreed with more than this one.
  • Dante1924 - February 15, 2013 6:34 p.m.

Portal: best game of all time? No... Just no. I can excuse a lot of things on this list (and a lot of things NOT on this list), but Portal is not the best game ever. It never was, it isn't now, and it won't be in the future. Is it good? Absolutely, it definitely deserves to be somewhere on the list, but putting it as number one is wrong. Oh, and I like Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom better than Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom.
  • CountRichtertoffen - February 15, 2013 6:41 p.m.

Why do you choose Super Mario Bros. 3 over Super Mario World?