• SuperBadnik - January 20, 2010 6:25 p.m.

I have to say, bashing Lara Croft while taking an anti-sexism approach to video games is kinda ungrateful. Lara championed female game chacters who weren't bimbos, dominatrix or damsels in distress and has always got by from being strong and extremly intelligent. Plus she is very popular with female gamers such as myself.
  • minky - January 20, 2010 3:57 p.m.

I used to sometimes find it pretty uncomfortable watching my male housemates play videogames with all these half naked fellatious chicks in there (I was the only girl in house). It made me feel self-conscious about myself, which was silly since I was in a happy relationship. But still, somehow, it got to me. Normally I just try to ignore it or laugh it off, but it's hard when demeaning images are shoved in your face on a daily basis. Nice article, I hope for better characters for the future too...
  • RaptureLeaking - January 20, 2010 11:19 a.m.

Very interesting read. The article and comments have really made me think. I'm 29, female and I play a lot of games. I can be a real 'girly girl' and I can also be tough. I spend most of my free time in multiplayer with my friends just being one of the guys. Joining in the banter, calling people I kill 'My bitch' and hearing the 'r' word more than a few times a night. If I'm honest I'm not even sure what I find sexist or offensive anymore.
  • lister - January 20, 2010 8:12 a.m.

Well, so what? What's wrong with being sexy?
  • mattdark - January 20, 2010 7:29 a.m.

@Garnsr - We had Lulu in FFX as something of a more recent one, and possibly Fran, that that may not be so much 'stacked' but more 'very little, lingerie-like, armour' Ive seen quite a few in a number of JRPGs, especially when compared to other characters around them. Zola in Blue Dragon, is a big example, most of the playable cast are kinds/young teens, but Zola is a little older, so to show this, they didnt just make her taller, but decided to give her very noticably-sized breasts, which were covered in little more then a tight boob-tube.
  • revrock - January 20, 2010 7:06 a.m.

How could you dare to show Captain caveman without the teen angels??????!!!!!! (sarcasm in full effect)
  • Tyboy - January 20, 2010 6:22 a.m.

that was as epic as the article about the mushroom kingdoms sexual politics... *shivers at the part about bowser jr*
  • The_Tingler - January 20, 2010 5:12 a.m.

I agree with the article, but can you please explain this comment: "And lets not forget the leaps and bounds made by Naughty Dog, its Uncharted series having finally managed to blend blockbuster action games with a likeable and believable cast." Within the rest of that paragraph this makes absolutely no sense as you were talking about real-life women in the industry, and it doesn't mention women (fictional or otherwise) at all.
  • mentalityljs - January 20, 2010 3:24 a.m.

Like a lot of you, I don't believe most games are neccessarily sexist. Women are certainly objectified, because sex sells. But like vitoruss said, unless women are being portrayed as nothing but brainless flesh sacks with huge tits and a flawless ass, it's more likely they ARE more than that. Lara Croft, Samus, Alyx, Jade, Rayne, Zoey, Rochelle, Chell, Princess Peach, Claire Redfield, Jill Valentine, Aya, Nariko, although sexy at times, are the most memorable female protagonists in gaming. What I'm trying to say is, although we may fantasize about them other fake ass titty bitches, there's never really a true spot in out hearts for them like there is for the real women in gaming :)
  • Silvermech - January 20, 2010 2:48 a.m.

Let's not forget the transexuals, and the homosexual, and bisexuals,and the little known asexuals.
  • vitoruss - January 20, 2010 2:44 a.m.

Men have big muscles and guns, women are sexy and dangerous- it's what people WANT to be, in games. Lara Croft is just as equal to women as she may be "sexist". Real sexism comes from the games like 'Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball', 'Rumble Roses' and 'Sexy Beach 3' type games, where the women have no more personality than, "jump and jiggle". But a woman who kicks ass, even if she has big tits, isn't sexist. It's just confriming, "yes, we want this ideal character who is the best at both being seductive and ass-kicking". And who doesn't? Am I right?
  • inconceivable - January 20, 2010 1:33 a.m.

I definitely agree with this article for the most part, and it makes me think about how bad it is that I've become so desensitized to this. Because when it comes right down to it, and this was brought up in the article, I care more about playing the game than I do anything else about it. And this makes me feel like I'm condoning stereotypes and shallow stories, but I'm not. But... I'm still going to buy those games. Lol, I guess that makes me a hypocrite (I hope not as bad as the L4D2 boy cotters). Although, it does seem like the industry is going in a better direction. Another thing that popped into my mind when I was reading this is that I want Joss Whedon to write a story for a game. That'd be awesome.
  • jmcgrotty - January 20, 2010 1:27 a.m.

The bible never said that there was an apple in Eden. If anything, it would have been a pomegranate
  • nik41507 - January 20, 2010 1:20 a.m.

Sexism is the act of thinking one gender is better than the other Showing that girls are prey is NOT sexism showing that all girls can do is be pretty IS sexism if thats all they can do. Bayonetta She was made sexy for the male audience BUT she also is a super kick-ass angel killer. So thats not sexist Laura Croft Is sexualized BUT IS ALDO A KICK ASS SUPER ARCHEOLOGIST. Not sexist Duh
  • lovinmyps3 - January 20, 2010 12:54 a.m.

Funny article coming from the sight that only writes about b00bs!! jk =P Nice feature. I think it will take some time to overcome this problem. By the time movies are past than video games shouldn't be too far behind.
  • Cyberninja - January 20, 2010 12:34 a.m.

@wrathlord03 you know lust was in the orignal poem right and with ff13 i am glad with can play as a female character who will have a great story driven game
  • WrathLord03 - January 20, 2010 12:25 a.m.

Sure, games should be entertaining, but they don't need to shove in naked women every two seconds (I'm speaking to you, Dante's Inferno). And sure, there are a few people (namely whoever wrote that article about skill and luck) who thinks seeing 'ladyflesh' enhances their gaming experience. The way graphics are evolving help them LOOK more realistic, but in no way do the majority feel more realistic. That's why Uncharted 2 was such a believeable, and at times, almost relatable experience. Sure, Elena needed saving a few times, but so did Nate, and I hope that's where games are heading.
  • Metroidhunter32 - January 20, 2010 12:13 a.m.

No Samus? She's probally the most feminist character in all gaming. Still acts female, but kicks serious ass and doesn't strip at the first sign of trouble. You're failing me more and more GR.
  • GameManiac - January 19, 2010 10:53 p.m.

(Ugh, I hate the whole sexist concept...) I do think video games are sexist, but not all of them. I don't think Metroid is sexist. Does anyone think so?
  • zayleffein - January 19, 2010 10:20 p.m.

I think that video games should be sexist and offensive and funny and dramatic and whatever entertains us as people. I don't care if Lara Croft has tits the size of a beach ball, as long as she is entertaining with huge tits I am all for it. Same thing with scantily clad males with emo hair and a disproportionately sized package. Who cares?! As long as the character does what he or she is supposed to be doing in terms of entertainment, get the hell over it and enjoy the show!