• mockraven - May 7, 2012 11:08 a.m.

Xbox 360 -- The next cellphone contract. $99 up front plus the first month's $15-subscription fee and a written contract where you sign up for 2 years. The contract is subject to additional taxes and "fees," along with an early termination fee if you decide the subscription isn't for you or if you end up terminating it due slow/no internet later down the line. The "early termination fee" starts at $250. On the plus side, if you change your mind within the first 30 days you're only out $15 + taxes and "fees" rather than the full $364 ($99 console, $250 early termination fee, $15 first month subscription) + whatever those taxes and "fees" are. Source of termination fee info: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Legal/xbox-live-contract-terms Section 10
  • Scuffles - May 7, 2012 11:04 a.m.

..... Ok I sorta see the marketing angle they are trying to go for but personally I do not in any way find it appealing.
  • BladedFalcon - May 7, 2012 10:30 a.m.

Yeah... If this is the pricing structure they will try to pitch to people for the future console generation, you can count me out right out of the bat. Fuck, I rarely use the on-line stuff except to buy downloadable games. Seriously, it's like the gaming industry WANTS to crash on itself, and worse than it was before.
  • KingMiedus - May 7, 2012 10:45 a.m.

Or they just want to bring you out of the stone age. In all seriousness though, for those who do use live, I think this ends up costing about $40 more. But with $360 instead of $120 (current cost of live) being over 2 years. That's probably right up there with credit card interest rates.
  • ultimatepunchrod - May 7, 2012 10:57 a.m.

Well it's not exactly "bringing us out of the stone age". I mean computers aren't priced this way. I hope this won't be the only option available next gen because I can add, so I know when I'm paying more over time than paying less up front.
  • KingMiedus - May 7, 2012 12:31 p.m.

I meant out of the stone age because he says he doesn't use "on-line stuff." That was to segue in into the fact that it isn't that much more expensive if you count the cost of XBL.
  • BladedFalcon - May 7, 2012 1:32 p.m.

I said I used the marketplace or the online store, I think that counts, doesn't it? And if I don't tend to play multiplayer, it's not really because I can't, but because I don't really enjoy it. Specially since the majority of the user-base is filled with pricks like you. So yeah, if you're fine paying extra and monthly, that's your deal, but I'd rather have the freedom to not spend my money that way.
  • KingMiedus - May 8, 2012 8:56 a.m.

Woah woah woah! Pricks like me?! It was a little joke, calm down! Haha. I usually find a way to get a year for ~ $40, so I don't really notice the payment. I'm also not one who would take this option to buy an Xbox this way, I'd just buy it outright, I was just noting that for those that a monthly plan is more feasible, this isn't really all that bad of a deal as its made out to be.
  • BladedFalcon - May 8, 2012 10:50 a.m.

Sorry if I came as abrasive, it's just that when someone you don't know suddenly comes and says you're in the stone age, it's kinda hard to take it as an amiable joke, y'know? :P And anyway, I can see the virtue of this kind of plan, specially for someone that does make heavy and frequent use of the online multiplayer. That being said, it's a terrible option for someone that likes most of his playing to be offline. Basically, if future consoles came with this kind of deal, but also gave you the option to just buy the console without having to buy or subscribe to XBL Gold. Then yeah, I have no big issue with it. However, if they pretend to force this kind of plan upon you, without giving you an option, then I WILL take issue.
  • Pwnage19 - May 7, 2012 10:20 a.m.

So, the final price is $278.88. The current price for the same package is $320 (if you add $120 for 2 years of Xbox Live Gold). Why are you fussing? There's nothing troubling about this price setup. It's cheaper, and it's easier to pay.
  • Pwnage19 - May 7, 2012 10:25 a.m.

The price of Xbox Live doesn't really matter if it's bundled with the console--unless you live in the Stone Age and don't have an Internet connection. The console could cost $25, and Xbox Live could cost $250, or the console could cost $200, and Xbox Live could cost $75--either way, the money is going to Microsoft, and you end up with an Xbox 360 and 2 years of Live.
  • kyle-forrester87 - May 7, 2012 10:26 a.m.

$14.99 x 24 + $99 = $458.76, no?
  • Andrew Groen - May 7, 2012 10:29 a.m.

Totes correct. We mistakenly tabulated the console as $99.99.
  • kyle-forrester87 - May 7, 2012 12:29 p.m.

Haha, was not referencing the 99p difference in the article, rather Pwnage19's calculation. But I guess it's always fun to be exact.
  • Pwnage19 - May 7, 2012 12:24 p.m.

Ahh, I didn't bother to check their math. Now I see the fuss lol.
  • PhantomDave - May 7, 2012 11:50 a.m.

The biggest slap in the ass is that it's a mighty 4gb machine.
  • Dadyo238 - May 7, 2012 1:09 p.m.

Atleast you don't have to install disc-based games like on PS3