• FoxdenRacing - June 14, 2013 8:46 a.m.

All of the "MS can still be a force" suggestions all rely on three things: Completely rewriting their policy, slashing the price, and customers forgetting. Sony's shellacking was taken care of by cleaning out a few desks and dropping the price...allowing it to resurge once the company's foot wasn't perpetually in its leader's mouth and the price was within acceptable ranges...their policy itself was pretty good. Both had the problem of a "we are gaming, shut up and like it you dirty peasants" mindsets...on top of that, MS's also has the problem of policy, something Sony didn't have. So far, they're not giving any indication that the first is going to happen; every time criticism comes their way, they're digging their heels in further and further...watching them double down on their madness every time they're called mad is, honestly, pretty sad. The second...it'll happen with time, but it's always a delicate balance between 'acceptable' loss on loss-leaders and competitive pricing; I wouldn't be surprised to find out they're taking a three-figure hit on every system sold, if not upwards of $200. They can't bring the price down without bringing costs down, otherwise they'll just be digging themselves deeper. The third...people are fickle. More than a few conviction-free net-rage types will give in eventually. They'll still sell millions upon millions of consoles. The fanboys, the sycophants, and the "It doesn't affect me, so why should I care?" crowd will make sure of that. But they've got a long, hard battle to win anyone else back. Absent a massive shift in direction, or a catastrophic event for the competition, I really don't see One selling more than 50m before the 9th-gen systems are revealed. I love my 360, despite its faults...but I'm not buying one. Net rage is hilariously overblown most of the time...but we do have an example to look at. Sony's stunts in the run-up to PS3 cost them half their customers compared to PS2...it's no stretch of the imagination that MS's stunts...which in my eyes are far bigger blunders...will cost them a third of theirs. This is going to be the ugliest console generation in history; even the bad blood between Nintendo / Sony that spawned Playstation pales in comparison.
  • BladedFalcon - June 14, 2013 12:24 p.m.

I dunno about you... But I kinda love seeing the companies slapping each other to the face :D
  • FoxdenRacing - June 14, 2013 1:57 p.m.

Competition is good for the customer, so I'm all for it.
  • BladedFalcon - June 14, 2013 3:02 p.m.

My thoughts exactly ^^ I mean... it was Sony's utter dominance of the 5th and 6th generations that led them to become despotic... And it was exactly thanks to competition that they got a healthy dose of humility because everyone switched to the other consoles... And now it's Microsoft's turn to be served with that very same humble pie. And well, I mean... Fuck it, I just love it when companies shamelessly troll or insult the other, specially in such wonderful ways as Sony's concise game sharing video XD
  • FoxdenRacing - June 14, 2013 3:14 p.m.

And it was Nintendo's in the 3rd and 4th that caused them to be haughty [and get slaughtered by Sony in the 5th]. That video was a stroke of genius. Whoever had that idea really deserves a bonus. What blows my mind, though....by the traditional metric, MS is struggling to not be 3rd. If Sony would release some newer numbers than November '12, we'd know for sure. What are they using to justify this newfound hubris?
  • BladedFalcon - June 14, 2013 3:34 p.m.

See, that also baffled me as well, since yeah, it's not like they were dominating the same way the other two had done before they became despotic. But then, maybe it's true that Microsoft never intended the Xbox brand to be a gaming console so much as a multimedia device to control the living room, and that started as a gaming console to ease people into it? Of course, i think if that's the case, they are going about it in a horrible way, but otherwise, i can't really understand why they are shitting the bed so badly this soon XD And yeah... See, that's the kind of videos Sony needs to do and use for their benefit and marketing, since I've always felt that Marketing and Publicity are one of their most glaring weak points. Remember the days of the creepy baby dolls crying and staring at a PS3? XD
  • FoxdenRacing - June 14, 2013 4:18 p.m.

I think the skunkworks team that came up with the idea initially were all about gaming, and the X1...and even the early days of the X360...reflected that. Corporate wants the living room, they have since the first digital cable boxes started working their way into homes, but I can't fathom how anyone thought this approach was a good idea. [I've seen interviews where they also wanted to beat the fabled STeamBox at its own game, but wouldn't survive angering their retail, disc-selling partners] I hated the PSP 'Nut' commercials a lot more than I did the baby dolls. And are we seriously bouncing back and forth between two articles leaving one another giant posts?
  • BladedFalcon - June 14, 2013 4:41 p.m.

Yyyyyup!!! Ain't it fun? :D I don't think anyone really minds though, and if they do *shrugs* Dun care, or they can join in the fun if they want :P I admit I actually never watched PSP commercials, though i do remember the scandal about a certain "all I want for Christmas is a psp" commercial that Sony misguidedly tried to ass it as a homemade viral video XD At any rate, it's obvious to me that between back then and now, they have a very different marketing team... and if they keep releasing stuff like the "Michael" or "Greatness awaits" adverts, I'm totally cool with that. And yeah... speaking about steambox, and consequently steam... You know what's another huge flaw in the Xbone's overall strategy? people keep defending it and saying that what they want is eventually a digital only market and that then it will all be in the XBLA store the same as it is in steam... Except I can't see Microsoft ever doing the kinds of deals steam puts out regularly. Mainly because people forget that steam became what it is because it had a TON of competition in the digital PC realm. Whereas any store that MS has on the Xbone would be competition free. So yeah... you're right, I have really no idea how MS ever thought this would be a good idea. And i'll be extremely depressed if they end up being successful with it as it stands.
  • BladedFalcon - June 14, 2013 9:46 p.m.

...To be fair, if you play a PS3, currently, there's a 60% chance that before playing the game will ask you to install it. And that's assuming you don't get to update it first as well, or download a patch specific for the game you just bought.... Yeeeeah, seem that's one of the promises i DO hope PS4 makes it good for, that whatever installs or downloads they make, they can be background ones that won't prevent you from playing right away.
  • BladedFalcon - June 14, 2013 10:14 p.m.

Not if when you buy digitally, you can start playing while it's still downloading, like it's supposed to work, at least for the PS4.
  • Phillo - June 14, 2013 7:21 a.m.

Troy Baker also played Greed in the Full Metal Alchemist anime. Fantastic voice actor
  • FoxdenRacing - June 14, 2013 7:36 a.m.

Thank you...now I know who he is!
  • Squander - June 14, 2013 8:58 a.m.

I prefer my Animes in Japanese but this is cool info though. FMA is kickass
  • ParagonT - June 14, 2013 10:12 a.m.

Subbed for the win!
  • BladedFalcon - June 14, 2013 12:25 p.m.

Yep, pretty much!
  • usmovers_02 - June 14, 2013 6:43 a.m.

The "next gen consoles will have 60fps because they're more powerful" argument is absolutely ridiculous. How many new more powerful console generations have we seen? And how often has that actually lead to a FPS increase? Not too often since the dawn of the 3D era. Yes, the new consoles are WAY more powerful. Yes, that means games that were made THIS gen would run at higher FPS using the same ugly last gen graphics. But pretty graphics like we're seeing for next gen take more power. And there is STILL a big push for game companies to make the prettiest graphics possible. That means the DEVELOPER will have to choose between a really pretty game and a lower frame rate or 60 fps but less fancy graphics. This is the way it's always been. It's a question of balance. That balance has NOTHING to do with the hardware but with the decisions the developer makes.
  • sweetchiliheat - June 14, 2013 12:45 p.m.

I completely agree. Especially if the "focus" of next-gen graphics is on particles. It'll be hard to keep 60 fps with millions of smoke particles/sea spray/ debris flying around while using better textures and lighting.
  • HomegamerX - June 14, 2013 6:03 a.m.

Planetside 2 was already announced to be on the ps4 so there's really no question of when its coming to the ps4, this isn't excatly news anymore....
  • rainn'sgaydar - June 14, 2013 5:37 a.m.

I really like the idea of tablet integration, even if all I get is a huge mini map. For one, it takes a mini map off the tv screen, which is a win. And two, it's bigger, also a win. But since developers will rightfully view it as too polarizing to make a game that requires a tablet, Wii U games excluded, I'd say you're right to say tablet support will be largely a forgotten feature, albeit helpful.
  • FoxdenRacing - June 14, 2013 7:39 a.m.

My question with all this 'second screen' stuff is where do you put it? HUDs are essential information that you need to see without looking away from the action...so making you look down at a tablet on your lap or somesuch kind of defeats the purpose. I'm intrigued to see where second screen will take gaming...but I imagine there's going to be a lot of blunders along the way...and too many up front will get it dismissed as an unpopular gimmick.
  • FoxdenRacing - June 14, 2013 10:56 a.m.

Yet I'm oddly intrigued by the Wii U...go figure. Maybe it's the integration factor...I don't have to put my controller down, figure out where the other device is, pray it's charged, wait for it to wake up / turn on, so on and so forth...or maybe it's benefit of the doubt granted by Nintendo already having a good idea of what does and doesn't work via the DS.
  • rainn'sgaydar - June 14, 2013 11:24 a.m.

For my setup it will go on the coffee table in front of the couch, so I think it will work for navigating with a mini map. Just quick glances down and back up. May not work, but I hope someone at least tries it.