• closer2192 - August 7, 2013 7:30 p.m.

Reading the Pole Position section makes me wonder if a developer/publisher would be ballsy enough to accept product placement by a cigarette company in a game rated AO or even M, as AO definitely isn't for kids and M only sort-of is.
  • pl4y4h - August 7, 2013 6:47 p.m.

SSX 3 and DnL. There were DnL boards, clothes, even tricks named after it.
  • jivecom - August 7, 2013 6:21 p.m.

I don't think you can give pole position such a hard time about it, considering the commercial nature of F1. Even if you're picking solely on the Marlboro adverts, keep in mind that this was the era in which the Ferrari team (and later McLaren) proudly wore their Marlboro colours, Ligier promoted the Gitanes brand of cigs, Rothmans was present on multiple cars across various popular motorsports, as was Camel, and let's not forget John Player, whose JPS livery has become one of the most famous and recognisable F1 liveries outside of perhaps the one with which we began, Marlboro. Tobacco and alcohol (I didn't even get into all the alcohol sponsorship in racing. Just look at all the beloved Martini cars) were at the time hugely prevalent in motorsports, and it wasn't until well after we were playing with PS2s that F1 started to phase the tobac ads out by replacing the actual logo with a similar one (I'll never forget the year in which I saw Lucky Strike label a car "Look Alike," and then Benson and Hedges one-upped them by systematically deleting letters so that the cars said "Be on edge." Thoughtfulness like that made Camel's fat illegible letters and Marlboro's barcode look positively pedestrian). I understand taking issue with ridiculous adverts that don't belong, like the pizza hut armor, but I don't mind when the adverts are present in a way that adverts would be, especially in something like motorsport where you are constantly bombarded with adverts. It's a little off-putting when it's always the same advert, but Pole Position had a few, all of which were present in real motorsports and I don't think you can fault them for trying to simulate that
  • freeden - August 7, 2013 4:05 p.m.

Product placement typically makes me laugh when it's so blatant, but when it's integrated in as a real world item, like what MGS has done with EGM Magazine and Calorie Mate, then it's pretty cool. It adds something of a real world sense to the game, and I like that.
  • kaleb-mayhew - August 7, 2013 4 p.m.

GH3 had axe stuff
  • Drummer646 - August 7, 2013 3:52 p.m.

The Axe guitar in Guitar Hero 3
  • JarkayColt - August 7, 2013 3:49 p.m.

I actually enjoyed the product placement in Pikmin 2. It actually made a lot of sense and I don't think it ruined anything at all. I know that the Duracell battery is the first thing you find and I definitely thought, "hey, that's pretty cool" rather than "ugh, really?" Also, by doing that, it didn't feel out of place once you started picking up D-pads and Game and Watches, which was also kind of neat. Most of the time, product placement does feel pretty shoehorned though.
  • ViolentLee - August 7, 2013 3:47 p.m.

I remember the cool early days of product placement, when you were stoked to see actual brand logos. Like Mountain Dew in Jet Moto. Or Mountain Dew... again... in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1.
  • freeden - August 7, 2013 4:07 p.m.

I remember when they based entire video games around advertising characters, like Cool Spot for 7UP. Ironically, that was actually a good game.
  • ViolentLee - August 7, 2013 4:46 p.m.

Ya know, I never owned Cool Spot or Chester Cheetah or those other product-mascot games. Not even Yo Noid. I guess part of me didn't want to give them a chance.
  • Fadakar - August 7, 2013 3:06 p.m.

I'm pretty sure I remember getting slapped in the face by Big Mac ads in Deus Ex: HR.
  • freeden - August 7, 2013 4:05 p.m.

Did that happen? I don't remember that.
  • winner2 - August 7, 2013 7:20 p.m.

I think I remember that...vaguely
  • Dan-Underwood - August 7, 2013 2:52 p.m.

There were Pepsi vending machines in the 3D Bionic Commando remake.
  • GenderBender_9000 - August 7, 2013 1:55 p.m.

I actually don't mind product placement in games, as long as they don't beat you over the head with it. Taking a real life product and using it in a video game makes the game world a little more believable. At least for me it does.
  • cgriff63 - August 7, 2013 3:39 p.m.

You know, unless it's an entirely different world.