• CitizenWolfie - November 26, 2012 4:04 a.m.

I think Adam implied that you should join the army yourself and go one-on-one (thousand) against the Taliban.
  • CitizenWolfie - November 26, 2012 3:53 a.m.

RE: Nazi Zombies This reminded me of Henning Wehn's joke on 8 out of 10 Cats this week: "If someone is coming back from the dead and trying to eat me alive, I don't really care about his ideology"
  • CitizenWolfie - November 26, 2012 4:02 a.m.

With regards the "Shooting Humans is Easy" point, Spec Ops: The Line did a lot to make you think about the nature of 'the enemy.' It wasn't as black and white as simply shooting the guys shooting you because they're the villains. It actually felt like the choices you made on the field had some weight. Regardless, I don't really play things like BF and CoD for the truth about war. I can read war memoirs and journals for that. I play those games to have cool experiences and watch things go boom.
  • IAmARobotWhoTurnsIntoATruckAnd - November 26, 2012 5:05 a.m.

First person shooters where you play the lone hero (master chief) are usually bad, and often are not attempting to be anything more than slightly entertaining to the fanboys that play them. Play Planetside 2.
  • PBC13 - November 26, 2012 6:54 a.m.

It's understandable that a lot of games and films portray wars as Good vs Evil simply because the most influential and famous war of recent times was pretty much that. It's hard to find an angle that doesn't portray World War II as pretty binary in terms of it's causes. It's as close to Good vs Evil as any war I can think of.
  • GoldenEagle1476 - November 30, 2012 4:35 p.m.

A lot of the German soldiers weren't Nazis. After World War I, Germany was blamed for starting the war, had their military reduced, and their economy was destroyed. Hitler was a great speaker, and unfortunately, a good leader. It makes sense, then, that the German people would follow anyone who would lead them out of the depression they were in. While many of the officers and the SS were evil, the vast majority of the common soldiers were not. After WWII, the U.S. didn't aid Germany and the other European countries out of the goodness of our hearts. We did it to stop the spread of Communism and Soviet influence. Just saying, not everything is always black and white.
  • BrunstigElg - November 26, 2012 7:18 a.m.

You missed: "Every soldier with a rank of at least Officer is skilled in both dogfighting, attack chopper piloting, infantry combat, long range 50. cal sniping, and tank-driving"
  • BrunstigElg - November 26, 2012 7:23 a.m.

You forgot: "Every soldier with a rank of at least Officer is skilled in both dogfighting, attack chopper piloting, infantry combat, long range 50. cal sniping, and tank-driving"
  • metalgatesolid - November 26, 2012 9:42 a.m.

Just have to say war in videogames is as close as i want to get. Says alot that war sells games. Think it was Gary Oldman in Fifth Element that said war is needed to make people rich. Game developers are no different, they always want to make money on this horrific spectical.
  • winner2 - November 26, 2012 12:48 p.m.

I don't remember any quotes, but that was a great movie.
  • Mattgyver - November 26, 2012 11:35 a.m.

I dream of one day being able to use the GR gallery slideshow component in Chrome instead of having to copy the url and open it in IE.
  • Mattgyver - November 26, 2012 11:41 a.m.

Ha! I took the time to figure it out - disable the Ad Block Plus Chrome extension. That kills their slideshow gallery.
  • bebl09 - November 28, 2012 9:52 a.m.

I use ABP on Chrome and have no problems with their slideshows. Not sure what's wrong with yours...
  • LOZ4EVAH - November 28, 2012 10:34 a.m.

i couldn't use their slideshow either ( using Chrome) but it just started working suddenly.
  • winner2 - November 26, 2012 1:03 p.m.

The good vs bad one is especially true I think. I don't particularly care for this country and I know that I paint myself as a big bulls-eye for a chunk of the people that are the super-neo-pro-military type when I say that. However, I find it hard to believe that even a close majority of soldiers joined the military out of love/pride for their country or whatever "good" thing you want. I can see plenty of people just joining for a way to pay through college, a future in it, or because there's really nowhere else for them to go.
  • needles - November 27, 2012 12:56 p.m.

Yeah true dat. I always thought that people joined the military (ours at least) was for free room and board. Otherwise they would be penniless and begging for pocket change in front of liquor stores.
  • zombi3grim - November 27, 2012 3:29 p.m.

Maybe in the army its like that. Not the marines. You dont join the marines to pay for school. You become a marine to fight for your country. I was in the marines and not one person wouldnt give their life for the civilians of the USA.