Nintendo always knows just what to say – after unofficial Pokemon TGC store was robbed of $100,000 at gunpoint, the publisher reached out with copyright "concerns"
The Poke Court is now The Trainer Court
Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Want to add more newsletters?
Every Friday
GamesRadar+
Your weekly update on everything you could ever want to know about the games you already love, games we know you're going to love in the near future, and tales from the communities that surround them.
Every Thursday
GTA 6 O'clock
Our special GTA 6 newsletter, with breaking news, insider info, and rumor analysis from the award-winning GTA 6 O'clock experts.
Every Friday
Knowledge
From the creators of Edge: A weekly videogame industry newsletter with analysis from expert writers, guidance from professionals, and insight into what's on the horizon.
Every Thursday
The Setup
Hardware nerds unite, sign up to our free tech newsletter for a weekly digest of the hottest new tech, the latest gadgets on the test bench, and much more.
Every Wednesday
Switch 2 Spotlight
Sign up to our new Switch 2 newsletter, where we bring you the latest talking points on Nintendo's new console each week, bring you up to date on the news, and recommend what games to play.
Every Saturday
The Watchlist
Subscribe for a weekly digest of the movie and TV news that matters, direct to your inbox. From first-look trailers, interviews, reviews and explainers, we've got you covered.
Once a month
SFX
Get sneak previews, exclusive competitions and details of special events each month!
A Pokemon TCG store that was the victim of an armed robbery is now changing its name following Nintendo apparently getting in contact.
Last month The Poke Court – a Pokemon Card store in Manhattan, New York – was robbed at gunpoint during its very first community evening event. An employee told ABC7 Eyewitness News that in the three-minutes that the robbery took place, the suspects had stolen over $100,000 worth of merchandise from the store. As the Pokemon TCG craze has had a resurgence over the last few years, with cards selling for huge amounts of money, robberies of stores have become more common, with multiple reportedly happening over all corners of the US in 2026 alone.
Unfortunately, the store's string of bad luck has continued, as it has now had to rebrand itself almost exactly a month later. It now goes by The Trainer Court, with the Poke Ball removed from its logo.
A post on the store's website (via TheGamer) says: "First, thank you to everyone for the insane support we've seen, both near and far, in the less than two years we've been open." The team then explains, "The short story is that Nintendo reached out to us with concerns about our name and logo. As we also have some new and exciting things planned for this year, we've decided to take this opportunity to evolve!"
While The Trainer Court staff don't mention the robbery in this post, it feels somewhat likely that the incident put the store on Nintendo's radar, given how the company contacted them so soon after the incident. However, the team seems thankfully unphased by with what it's been through, with the post mentioning plans for more community events, tournaments, and even something special for Pokemon Day later this month.
Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more

Scott has been freelancing for over three years across a number of different gaming publications, first appearing on GamesRadar+ in 2024. He has also written for the likes of PC Gamer, Eurogamer, VG247, Play, TechRadar, and others. He's typically rambling about Metal Gear Solid, God Hand, or any other PS2-era titles that rarely (if ever) get sequels.
You must confirm your public display name before commenting
Please logout and then login again, you will then be prompted to enter your display name.


