Most everyone will agree that Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands was one of the best written games of 2010. Wait, what's that? You think that's absolutely ridiculous, and completely disagree? Then you certainly won't want to see some of the other games that the Writers Guild of America has nominated for its 2010 Videogame Writing Award...
The WGA's selection of the six best-written games of 2010 includes:
- Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft) - Story by Patrice Desilets, Jeffrey Yohalem, Corey May; Lead Script Writer: Jeffrey Yohalem; Script Writers: Ethan Petty, Nicholas Grimwood, Matt Turner
- Fallout: New Vegas (Bethesda) - Creative Design Lead/Lead Writer: John Gonzalez; Writers: Chris Avellone, Eric Fenstermaker, Travis Stout; Additional Writing: Tess Treadwell, George Ziets, Jason Bergman, Nick Breckon, Matt Grandstaff, Will Noble, Andrew Scharf
- God of War III (SCE) - Writer: Marianne Krawcyzk; Additional Writing by Stig Asmussen, Ariel Lawrence, William Weissbaum
- Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (Ubisoft) -Writer: Benjamin McCaw; Story Dialogue Editor: Marianne Krawczyk;
- Singularity (Activision) -Writers: Marc Guggenheim, Lindsey Allen, Emily Silver; Additional Story and Writing: Jason Henderson, Adam Foshko, Michael Cassutt; Story and Script Consultant: Adam Foshko
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II (LucasArts) -Executive Producer-Writer: Haden Blackman; In-Game Script: David Collins, John Stafford, Cameron Suey; Additional Writing: Tid Cooney, Ian Dominguez, Tony Rowe
The award takes into account games released between December 1st, 2009 and November 30th, 2010. More importantly, the award is only open to game writers who were either card carrying members of the WGA or applying to become one when their script was submitted; a barrier which may account for the omission of suchhighly praisedgames as Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect 2. At least, we hope that's the reason they were overlooked.
Last year's winner was Star Wars: the Force Unleashed. Could LucasArts be in for a repeat victory? The 2010 Videogame Writing trophy will be handed out with the other WGA awards during its simultaneous award ceremonies in Los Angeles and New York on February 5th , 2011.
Jan 5, 2011
[Source: WGA West]