Long-time Justice League member and Super Friend Aquaman is the latest iconic DC hero to get the 100-page spectacular treatment to celebrate his 80th anniversary.(opens in new tab)
Aquaman 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super Spectacular (opens in new tab) goes on sale August 31 to recognize the King of Atlantis's first appearance in November 1941's More Fun Comics #73 (opens in new tab).
Not bad for a hero often ridiculed for being the guy who talks to fish.
Here is a list of all the stories in Aquaman 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super Spectacular, as well as who created them:
- 'Foxtail' by writer Jeff Parker, artist Evan 'Doc' Shaner, and letterer Rob Leigh
- 'Father's Day' by writer Geoff Johns, penciller Paul Pelletier, inker Norm Rapmund, colorist Hi-Fi, and letterer Josh Reed
- 'Lady in the Lake' by writer Michael Moreci, artist Pop Mhan, colorist Tony Avina, and letterer Wes Abbott
- 'Multitudes' by writer Stephanie Phillips, artist Hendry Prasetya, colorist Ulises Arreola, and letterer Travis Lanham
- 'It's a Family Affair' by writer Shawn Aldrdge, artist Tom Derenick, colorist Nick Filardi, and letterer Rob Leigh
- 'The Rhine Maidens' by writer Marguerite Bennett, artist Trung Le Nguyen, colorist Jordie Bellaire, and letterer Pat Brosseau
- 'Between Two Shores' by writer Cavan Scott, penciller Scot Eaton, inker Norm Rapmund, colorist Hi-Fi, and letterer Rob Leigh
- 'What Remains of a Storm' by writer Dan Waters, artist Miguel Mendonca, inker Daniel Henriques, colorist Romulo Fajardo Jr., and letterer Rob Leigh
- 'Rebellion' by writer Dan Jurgens, artist Steve Epting, colorist Jeromy Cox, and letterer Rob Leigh
- 'Red Sea' by writer Chuck Brown, artist Valentine Delandro, colorist Marissa Louise, and letterer Clayton COwles
- 'Foreshadow' by writer Brandon Thomas, penciller Diego Olortegui, inker Wade von Grawbadger, colorist Adriano Lucas, and letterer Deron Bennett
Here is is the complete 'The Rhine Maidens' story DC has shared as a preview:
Aquaman 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super Spectacular #1 will celebrate not just Arthur Curry, but also his associated characters such as Mera, Tempest, Aqualad, Black Manta, and Ocean Master.
And in a pleasant surprise, Aquaman 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super Spectacular will also include the return of an Aquaman variant: Bombshells Aquaman. He's from the fondly remembered Elseworlds series DC Comics Bombshells, which reimagined the DCU characters in the style of '40s pin-up models and post-World War II ephemera.
Like previous 100-page 80th anniversary specials, Aquaman's cover price will be $9.99, along with card stock variant cover editions that will set you back another buck.
Speaking of variant covers, in addition to the main cover by Ivan Reis and Joe Prado, Aquaman's will sport a line-up of eight 'decade' themed variants depicting the 'marine monarch' (is that a new one?) sporting his different looks through the years.
The line-up includes Michael Cho ('40s), Ramon Fradon ('50s), Walt Simonson ('60s), José Luis García-López ('70s), Chuck Patton/Kevin Nowlan ('80s), Yvel Guichet ('90s), Becky Cloonan ('00s), and Robson Rocha ('10s).
This is the first in a rising tide of Aquaman-related comic books coming from DC. Arthur Curry co-stars in the upcoming limited series Aquaman/Green Arrow: Deep Target (opens in new tab), and his protege Aqualad is manning up in Aquaman: The Becoming. Aqualad's dad will also be getting a solo series with Black Manta (yes, that's also the original Aquaman's arch-nemesis - it's complicated).
Aquaman 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super Spectacular goes on sale on August 31.
Newsarama selects the best Aquaman stories over the first 80 years.