• GOD - January 14, 2014 2:44 p.m.

To me this seems like a pretty big endeavor. For it to not be half baked, the giant creature will have to be able to use its immense size to pursue you anywhere, which means destroy any building you may hide in, which also means there has to be a pretty large area for you to traverse. Another problem I see though is that all of these recent, successful horror games rely on you not knowing where your tormentor will appear from, which is hard to do with a large always visible enemy, so there would likely have to be some really good fog in the game to hide the enemy when it's beyond a certain distance, and while you should get some kind of feedback from it's stomping feet but only when it gets reasonably close to make you start to freak out, but not too soon that it always give it away. Oddly enough the best way to kind of kick off this though, might be something that takes place in a Slender man styled forest, but make it much bigger of an area, add the fog I suggested, and possibly use the fog to make the top of the creature like it's head obscured because of how high up it is, maybe with only some menacing bright eyes when you get too close for comfort. A terrifying roar or shriek would help. You would need some kind of goals. It could start with you being part of a small plane crash in the middle of nowhere, and when you wake up you're alive but lying under a part of the wing that had you concealed, and when you get up and out from the concealed spot you awoke from, you find the pilot to have been eaten in some horrific way. The other passenger that was with you is nowhere to be found, because hope is important. You then set out into the forest you crashed into looking for the parts for your communication device that you need to call for help. They are going to be littered across the forest floor, causing you to often focus on looking down to find your means to escape, meaning you can't try to always look up to see the creature coming. Similar to Slender, the pieces your looking for might be by unique areas, like chunks of burning wreckage in the night. Great now I just need to learn to game design and I'll be good to go.
  • GR_LucasSullivan - January 14, 2014 3:51 p.m.

I'd play that game (fearfully) in a heartbeat. Maybe it could be a Greek shipwreck into a cyclops-populated forest in place of a plane crash :D
  • GOD - January 14, 2014 3:57 p.m.

That would work pretty well, considering water is an effective barrier rather than a picket fence that you magically can't cross. Also multiple giant cyclops would mean that you would never be safe because leaving one far behind doesn't mean you can't run headfirst into another. It creates the same scenario as slender man reappearing in your path, without the monster having to teleport in front of you.
  • Vonter - January 14, 2014 2:24 p.m.

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's giant monster game. FPS will be the test ground. Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster.
  • MeanwhileGuy - January 14, 2014 2:15 p.m.

Hell yes. This concept is a game I've wanted to see for YEARS. Something like Cloverfield, with the sole objective being surviving long enough to get the hell out of whatever city the 400 foot tall monster is decimating. Have it dynamically walking round smashing stuff, except it has the motivation of coming after you for [insert X reason], because you don't want to make it too easy. So combine something like Dying Light, Amnesia and Battlefield's destruction, but with a sodding huge monster trying to eat you/drop a building on you/crush you etc. Surely a game developer would think this conce is fantastic and put a Kickstarter together, I know I'd support the hell out of it.
  • Shigeruken - January 14, 2014 2 p.m.

When the sense of scale is right a large enemy can really make a game. The Arms Forts in Armored Core for Answer were a perfect balance between 'all hope is lost' and 'I know I'm going to beat this thing to hell as part of the mission parameters.' Flying towards that first crab thing at a ridiculous speed while it grew larger and larger with each kilometre covered was so perfect.
  • GR_LucasSullivan - January 14, 2014 3:56 p.m.

Oh man, Arms Forts look amazing, thanks for bringing those to my attention. I've never been an Armored Core man myself, but those could make me try lol
  • Shigeruken - January 14, 2014 7:44 p.m.

Oh, haha, you're welcome. Armored Core: For Answer was a great experience, so if you can find it cheap then it might be worth trying out. I'm a huge mech guy, so I would rank For Answer as one of my personal favorite games.
  • shawksta - January 14, 2014 1:49 p.m.

Sure why not I like games like that, whether its giant monsters or the protag just flat out shrunk, sound neat.
  • Moondoggie1157 - January 14, 2014 1:40 p.m.

I have had a lot of nightmares about this same situation, being unable to hide or run, just knowing the giant whatever is going to get you, its only a matter of time. If it was done right, it would be amazing... I can't think of too many games that have successfully conveyed that sense of awe and shear helplessness. I'm getting really tired of being super human in everything I play.