Topics

tgs 2013

• WobbleNet - November 29, 2014 2:18 a.m.

Interesting conversation. I own box xb1 and ps4 so show no bias. One big disappointment with xb1. When you turn it on the HDMI feed doesn't give the tv the signal to switch to the xb1 input . However with ps4 it does that and turns the tv on. If Microsoft want to utilise a port they could go back to basics first I think.
  • awesomesauce - September 21, 2013 3:46 p.m.

So that means to have whatever i want that's plugged into my xbox on, i also need to have my xbox on at the same time.
  • JustAnotherRogueAI - September 21, 2013 11:23 a.m.

This certainly is an interesting concept. Not nearly enough to make me want to buy one, but interesting nonetheless.
  • awesomesauce - September 20, 2013 2:17 p.m.

How the hell does the audio work them? I mean if in the future I'm playing Gears4 and i have Expendables3 in the background, it's just going to be a clusterfuck of noise
  • brickman409 - September 20, 2013 11:48 p.m.

it will probably give you the option to mute one of the inputs
  • ericmatrix1 - September 21, 2013 4:31 a.m.

If they can work out a practical audio solution, then this will be SICK.
  • TheBountyHunted - September 20, 2013 12:09 p.m.

"...anything with an HDMI output can be routed through the Xbox One and pinned to the screen. This includes Blu-Ray players, TIVO, and--yes--even the PlayStation 4." So you can connect an HDMI cord into the Xbox One from a PS4's output? So you have to OWN a PS4 in order to play its games on the Xbox One? Why not just play the games on the PS4? And why hook up a Blu-ray player to the Xbox One when it already plays blu-rays??? It's absolutely silly! The only real use it has is that it provides a awkward backwards compatibility to it. But if I have a PS4, I want to play my games through that! This is yet another function of the Xbox One that instead of complimenting all of the devices in my living room, butts its head in and makes its presence more and more unnecessarily complicated with useless functions.
  • The Mad Prophet - September 20, 2013 12:23 p.m.

Jesus, are you dense? This is perfect for dvr's, cable boxes, satellite receivers, older consoles, etc, anything with hdmi output, so you don't have to switch inputs. You can see it all right there and easily go from one to the other. It's simply a matter of convenience. If you find that to be "unnecessarily complicated" or "useless" then I feel sorry for your mental handicap.
  • RSQViper - September 20, 2013 12:49 p.m.

Yup! looks like now I can have my HDMI switch go TO my XBox One and everything run thru it so I can take advantage of all my X1 apps and my tv apps at the same time. Now the X1 is the media center, not my HDMI switch. Not bad thinking at all!
  • nicholas-whitney - September 20, 2013 1:50 p.m.

only problem is that it only has 1 pass through. i would like to know how that works with an audio receiver... interested to see where this goes
  • ParagonT - September 21, 2013 6:57 a.m.

How is that any different than using the input button?
  • Rub3z - September 23, 2013 3:50 p.m.

Like a few seconds worth of convenience, combined with the ability to have whatever you're playing on the X1's input visible alongside anything else you're doing with the console, allowing you to do all the other multitasking jiggery-pokery on the console like Skype or internet browsing while using that input. Even without all that provided by the console, here in the Internet Age, that few second's worth of convenience is a big difference. But I definitely see where you're coming from, I probably won't see much utility in that functionality, as when I'm watching a movie, I'm not going to fucking browse the internet or be bothered to Skype someone while doing so. I'm watching my fuckin' movie, man! Some people don't realize that maybe they'd enjoy things more if they set other shit aside and paid attention. One thing at a time. When I'm watching my movie, the internet or anyone else in general can wait. :P
  • stephen-sweeney - September 20, 2013 4:35 p.m.

its not designed to be used to play other consoles, clearly you mis understand the use of the hdmi ports, its called x box one, all in system, the ports can use any hdmi cabled device, but its mainly used for sky, cable boxes or set up boxes such as apple tv. If you want audio from one you just simple say what one you want. A ps4 or wii u can be connected, if you want to, you will still play the game on that system, just through the same interface rather than changing hdmi channel on your tv, it will all go through the one.
  • brickman409 - September 20, 2013 11:49 p.m.

it's so you can skype on the one while playing a game on the PS4. Or vice versa
  • beezn - September 21, 2013 5:10 a.m.

Blue ray in particular would be good so you don't burn out your gaming device's disk drive on movies. My 360 had this happen. Any way to keep the wear and tear down, all the better. plus you may already have a blueray player, it's not like you'll just throw it away.
  • ombranox - September 20, 2013 11:55 a.m.

Microsoft finally has its killer app.
  • CrashmanX - September 20, 2013 11:43 a.m.

So... it's like adding a Non-Steam game to your Steam library. Not exciting but neat I suppose. Nice for people with only a few HDMI ports.
  • nicholas-whitney - September 20, 2013 11:43 a.m.

Am i the only one who finds it hilarious that ps4 drones are still trying to pick apart the xbox one? the pass through is an excellent feature and it will evolve in the years to come, i'm getting both systems but i am most excited about xbox one for all the extra features i will be using day to day that will satisfy my in techno geek.at the end of the day, what does it matter where your loyalty lies? both are huge companies battling for control over our tv's and it seems to me that MS is trying to give us (adults) what we really want in a system. so what it costs more? you get potential kinect functionality across all games and tv along with a truly smart device that ties together your home theater system in a high tech interface while socially networking at the same time. don't hate MS for trying to raise the bar on what a game system does, just wait and see how it works and get one if you want those features... if not then buy a ps4 and just play games. no need to throw hate.
  • nick-stancato - September 20, 2013 12:02 p.m.

the issue is that Kinect is useless and no one cares about TV. Hell I havent even had cable for 3 years at least now. If both consoles were the same pricepoint I would seriously consider both. But for what you get, PS4 is a better value in my opinion and many others'.
  • The Mad Prophet - September 20, 2013 12:11 p.m.

So because you personally choose not to have cable, "no one cares about tv"? That's a little presumptuous, to say the least. Meanwhile, back in reality, cable TV subscriptions are at an all time high.