• THEBIGJ3 - May 22, 2013 6:33 a.m.

I think a lot of people are forgetting about who Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo's other customers are. You only need to look back over the last year, at all of the Game Studios, Developers, Publishers etc. that have closed up, to see that the second-hand games industry is literally killing it from the inside out. There is a reason we all have to (or refuse to) pay £50 for Call Of Duty, it's because not only can the publisher charge the money and get the sales, but also they NEED to in order to turn a profit. What I'm trying to say is, that yes, Microsoft and the others need to entice gamers onto their platforms, but if they can't attract developers then there isn't much point. If I were a developer, given a choice: A console the JUST played games and made for gamers that I know would buy my product, Or a console that did all of that, and played TV, and Bluray and everything else AND guaranteed that I saw a bigger return on investment, allowing me to make more games, and charge a lower price to attract more gamers just by removing the second-hand threat...... then that's the one I'd choose. To cite john-carters example below. I would rather lose (C) as a customer altogether, if it meant that my (A) customers could pay the same price as my (B) customers would normally, on release day, meaning a faster return on sales and more fans overall. Sometimes we need to look at the bigger picture, rather than just how these decisions effect us personally, but that's just my opinion...
  • john-carter - May 22, 2013 1:15 a.m.

Regarding second hand game sales: There are three markets - (A) My friend buys only new games and he keeps them. (B) I buy games after they've been out for a few months. I factor in the possibility that I can sell them to offset the cost if I don't like it or want the money for something else. (C) My other friend only buys cheap used games. He will never buy new games. If they block or restrict the sale of used games they will not lose any sales from (A). However, they will not get any sales from (C) - because he's just a tight-ass and wants to pay as little as possible for anything. If you start charging him any more he'll just stop buying all together. And then there's me (B), because I know I can no longer guarantee getting any money from (C) I'll be a lot more choosy in what I buy, I won't take risks on any titles, I won't use the money made from sales to buy new games, so the number of my purchases will be down. So overall they're really going to gain nothing financially by shutting down or controlling second hand game sales. Game-keepers will continue keeping their games. Tight-asses will continue to look for cheap entertainment and most likely look elsewhere. And those in the middle ground like me will be more selective in what I buy and so buy less. The only ones getting hurt there will be the video games market as a portion of it shrinks.
  • sandplasma - May 21, 2013 9:33 p.m.

Winner2, I couldn't have put it any better.
  • Shinn - May 21, 2013 8:34 p.m.

So all games now have the same drm as xbox live downloads?
  • winner2 - May 21, 2013 7:06 p.m.

It feels like we got used. Micro used the gamer audience to build a brand, now it's switching over to the people who start having spasms when they can't reach the web. And that audience is getting so big that our opinions will eventually not matter at all in the grand scheme I think. But of course Micro is going to give a statement within 2 weeks to try and deal with all the flaming pissed core gamer audience, at least that's what I can picture right now.
  • Squirrel - May 22, 2013 12:17 a.m.

One of the reasons I will probably continue to stick with Nintendo and Sony. These companies make machines that have gaming as their top priority. Nintendo for all their unique innovations and amazing games, and Sony for the third party support and artistic landscape they encourage.
  • TheDudeFromNowhere - May 21, 2013 6:57 p.m.

Goodbye "Gamefly". You were a good friend.
  • N7Spartan95 - May 21, 2013 4:29 p.m.

This makes me really hate the fact that Microsoft owns the Halo franchise. As a Halo fan, that is literally the ONLY thing that might make me get an Xbox One over a Playstation 4. All this "blocking used games" crap is fucking retarded! It's needlessly punishing Microsoft's consumer base for the sake of combatting piracy. Is this really what the cost of that should be? All the peripheral stuff (Kinect, TV stuff, etc.) doesn't really bother me, but THIS is bullshit!
  • Demon_Krauser - May 21, 2013 4:25 p.m.

Unfortunately Kotaku had an interview also. The fee is the cost of the game. No used games.
  • avantguardian - May 21, 2013 4:12 p.m.

the steam model seems to be working pretty well for valve...
  • Jennero_Rossi - May 21, 2013 7:14 p.m.

And this is 100% of that. Finally someone gets it. Watch publisher start going Xbox One only in the next few years. Gamestop is used sales are going to get hurt so bad.
  • Misterscaryface - May 21, 2013 3:45 p.m.

Microsoft can solve this 'lending' issue quite easily. When you rent a game, all they have to do is give you an 'access code' that has a time limit on it. So basically if you rent a game you put in your code you can play for say, 48hrs. Done. No pissing around with credit cards, nothing. This console is gonna bomb if they don't figure at least how to do that.
  • avantguardian - May 21, 2013 4:13 p.m.

seems reasonable. and highly likely.
  • tr1ggerf1nger - May 21, 2013 1:50 p.m.

So I guess I can't lend out/borrow games on this console. Eff that.
  • Child Of Death - May 21, 2013 1:22 p.m.

Well guess who isnt going to get a Xbox One?
  • chavbuster1 - May 21, 2013 12:56 p.m.

Damn asshats.