• sixo T - November 19, 2012 12:14 p.m.

Im assuming the bricking has to do somthing with the Anti-pirating software inside. Kinda stupid that nintendo has taken this thing to whole new levels, i mean look at the 3DS and its problem with bricking/antipiracy on day one. It seems that nintendo is trying to combat the inevitable and elusive Pirate.
  • JimmyP91 - November 19, 2012 4:40 p.m.

Bricking has nothing to do with anti-piracy unless this 5 gb update is entirely based around the anti-piracy software (and being 5 gb's in size, I seriously doubt it is). Bricking isn't caused by any particular software or feature. When you brick your WiiU (or any sort of tech device), you are screwing up the coding/sofware that the system reads to run basic functions so bad that it can no longer run even the simplest tasks possible. This happens when power gets cut before the update is finished writing onto your system causing the code to be unfinished and altered too much for the system to be able to read. It's not caused by a particular program unless that program is specifically written to damage your firmware. If that's the case then Nintendo is in BIG trouble because they literally sent every one of their customers a 5 gb computer virus.
  • Jonamon23 - November 19, 2012 8:31 p.m.

During the Set-up process, it went checking for updates and froze. I restarted and had to manually check for updates. Updated fine and working since.
  • galneryus2 - November 20, 2012 8:16 a.m.

If you turn any console or even your PC off during an update, you deserve the console 'bricking' for being such a retard.
  • monique-greynolds - November 25, 2012 2:15 p.m.

Froze up and bricked, sent mine off on Monday. It is a covered issue for all the armchair Nintendo lawyers..Still 350.00 not including tax and my kids haven't even played it yet put me in a foul mood.
  • badblake - November 29, 2012 2:12 a.m.

Not all of these are consumer caused. As my example. I know better than to turn off a console during a critical update. During my 1st system update, it froze. Still not wanting to shut off the console I was going to wait it out. Then the system decided to shutoff itself. Brick mode ever since. Having to send to UPS as soon as they open.