Topics

Sony

• Baron164 - January 7, 2011 4:09 p.m.

I purchase all my games, I haven't pirated a single game in years. Not since I was in college and couldn't afford them. Now that I can actually afford games I buy them, and usually even get them new. All though I still buy games used, and you can get games so cheap if you just wait a few months its almost silly to pirate. I like to support developers who make games I enjoy, I don't want them to go under. All though I still don't have sympathy for Activision when the latest Call of Duty is pirated a ton and they still broke sale records when it came out. But it's bullsh#1 when an indie game bundle for charity is pirated more then purchased.
  • GR_JustinTowell - January 7, 2011 4:08 p.m.

@NeeEvil That used to be the case, but since the PS3 Slim came out, Sony's a little further into the black with each sale.
  • NeelEvil - January 7, 2011 4:05 p.m.

"Sony's making money on every PS3 they sell, so if more people are buying full-price consoles to play the free games, everyone's a winner". I thought Sony & Microsoft both sold consoles at a loss & then made the money from games? Which makes it even worse.
  • Rhybo - January 7, 2011 4:05 p.m.

@celticwhisper Actually, if you read in the EULA of every Sony product (I haven't but I can guarantee you it's there) I'm sure it plainly states in legal jargon that tampering with the system will ruin your day. So yes, the ownership of the console has transferred to you... but by you purchasing it and turning it on and just clicking through the "Yes I accept" buttons and checking the "I have read and fully understand" boxes, you agree to use it under Sony's terms. So I'd like to buy you and GeoHot a drink... like a tall stiff glass of my urine.
  • celticwhisper - January 7, 2011 4:01 p.m.

The problem is that you're equating the breaking of the PS3's security with piracy. They are not one and the same. While cracking the PS3 opens the door for piracy, it does not necessitate it. If Sony wants to file suit against copyright infringers (reasonably, none of this settle-or-it's-max-statutory-damages crap), that's their business and they can do that. However, until someone actually starts distributing pirated PS3 games, they had better back off. And when someone does start distributing pirated PS3 games, they should go after that person and only that person, since that person is the only one who's done something illegal. If I hand you a hammer and you smash someone's face in with it, who's the wrongdoer? Me, for giving you the hammer? Or you, for causing someone grievous bodily harm? You could have used the hammer to help build a house. Additionally, you could have wounded someone by a myriad of different means; you didn't need a hammer to do it. I really hope someone uses the newfound hardware access this hack provides to run the folding@home GPU client and makes some massive breakthrough in curing Alzheimer's or some other terrible disease. A breakthrough that wouldn't have been possible without this hack. I'd love to see Sony persist in arguing against it in that case.
  • FanofSaiyan - January 7, 2011 3:59 p.m.

I agree with your statements Justin, I just wish the rest of the internet saw it your way...
  • iluvmyDS - January 7, 2011 3:59 p.m.

This is great. You know just in case you want to help cripple an industry that we all love. No big deal.
  • wulibo - January 7, 2011 3:52 p.m.

Honestly, what is wrong with some people? FIRST of all, if you're only using the crack to run your own stuff, why post the crack for everyone to use? Secondly, piracy. What in the nine hells is wrong with the human race. I thank the gods that it's small enough normally to only kill off small companies (which honestly is far from acceptable), but it does damage the huge companies we love. It's not gamers who are jerks like GR has implied before, (http://www.gamesradar.com/f/worst-dick-moves-ever-pulled-on-developers-by-gamers/a-20101221114856016), it is the human race. And let's be honest, until very recently, we gamers had been discriminated against, so it's natural that the more ignorant ones still think we're getting screwed by society, but I fail to see, in any way, shape, or form, how that is close to having to do with damaging the people who make the things you love? I choose to believe that anyone who pirates a game is not a true gamer, not just because it makes them not allowed to be, but because if they were a gamer in terms of someone who just enjoys gaming, they would not do something so horrid and vile to the video game world. Many pirates are the same people who go into 7/11 and steal a bag of candy, or into the toy store to steal a few little toy animals, they do it because "stealing is cool.' There is nothing cool about pirating, and I have never been more mad than when somebody treats pirating like it is nothing. "Stop complaining, you didn't waste any money, video games are free!!!!11!!1one! What do you mean you bought it, that's stupid!" SMACK! If I could kill every major game pirate out there, I would.
  • Rhybo - January 7, 2011 3:50 p.m.

(1) = You support hacked consoles, jailbreaking, free games; (2) = Companies stop funding developers making games; (3) = Quality games stop coming out for... anything; (4) = Developers and their families live in poverty because they can't make money with their current skillset; (5) = Cliffy-B ends up working at Wal-mart to get by. Since the transitive law of mathematics applies in this situation let me summarize it: You support hacked consoles, jailbreaking, and free games EQUALS Cliffy-B ringing you up at the register, and goodness knows your not buying games because there aren't any left.
  • v8ninety - January 7, 2011 3:46 p.m.

Agree totally, if the PS3 security has been comprised so badly as are the claims then I can see the PS3 console quickly turning into an expensive blu-ray player or door stop. Sony have some serious PR work (and possible sweetners) to do with developers to keep them interested in the machine if games piracy takes off in a big way.
  • ChrisMacDee - January 7, 2011 3:45 p.m.

I totally agree however i admit i hacked my psp to play snes, gameboy, n64 (etc) games on it. If only there was a programming language for each console that took full power of each system, then geohot and the hacker people wouldnt have to hack the systems and comprimise the industry. Obviously Sony, Nintendo etc would have to have some sort of screening process before such applications could be added to the system (like Xbox's indie games when they are developed with XNA) to prevent any dodgy software being let loose on the system.
  • 8bitBaby - January 7, 2011 3:44 p.m.

oh my.
  • celticwhisper - January 7, 2011 3:43 p.m.

This article sounds like blatant propaganda. Linux on PS3 runs like a 7-year-old PC, proven by one claim from one member of one website's staff? EULAs are legal contracts (at least here in the States, that has not been tested in court)? Homebrew developers "playing with their GOTO 10 statements"? No, how about the right to use what you bought and paid for how you want? Sony doesn't like it? Too bad. They have their money, the customer has the product. Just as ownership of the money has been transferred to Sony, ownership of the product has been transferred to the customer. Sony sure wouldn't appreciate it if the customer, post-sale, tried to dictate how they used the money, would they? Same principle, and weasel words about "hardware vs copyrighted software" have no impact on the moral reality of the situation. Sony lost. They were playing a game they couldn't ever hope to win in the first place, and were playing it out of a desire to be control-freaks. I have zero sympathy for them and, conversely, would like to buy GeoHot a drink if I could.