Topics

Sony

• CancerMan - January 7, 2011 5:04 p.m.

I wouldn't have loved my PSP nearly as much if I couldn't hack it. And yes I did pirate games, however, I used the homebrew software so much I never bothered playing any of them. I have no problem with hackers cracking game consoles, but someone always implements the use of pirated games which is completely unnecessary. I suppose pirating on the Xbox hasn't got out of hand because it's relatively easy to get banned for life if you do, but if the crack for the PS3 is as infallible as GeoHot suggests then pirates could become a serious issue for the PS3,
  • blasTHE - January 7, 2011 5:04 p.m.

i read the comments and someone said that if you wait a couple of months the price of the games falls and it's much more affordable and that it's silly to get the pirated version and so on.. -its been almost two years since modern warfare 2 came out, and in my country if you want to buy it LEGALLY it'll cost you 60$ and that's for the PC I'm guessing the ps3 version is 20$ more..
  • TheWerebear - January 7, 2011 5:01 p.m.

I think it's hilarious that people think this could actually do something horrible to a market as large as this one. Do any of you understand how capitalism works? There is too much money in this industry for it to go anywhere, even with the pirates.
  • Rhybo - January 7, 2011 5:01 p.m.

@freakyfro99 No, I just don't like Apple and Steve Jobs. I was trying to make a joke and lighten the digital mood. I'm sorry you took it to seriously.
  • Rhybo - January 7, 2011 5 p.m.

@rabidpotatochip You bring up another interesting point about the game industry. Used games do no bolster the game industry AT ALL. It inflates the profits of distributors like GameStop and those kids on E-bay. Sure it's a cheaper option but your hurting the people who keep you entertained. Now, I'd be a hypocrite if I said I never bought a used game because I have, but once I learned that no profits reach the people who make the games that I love I stopped. It's like not voting for president. Sure, if a few people did it no big deal but if everyone was to neglect their civil duty... I don't know what would happen but it would result in something unpopular I'm sure. I digress... keep talking about fridges, Hitlers, and why piracy makes me post like a fanboy on random forums.
  • freakyfro99 - January 7, 2011 4:54 p.m.

@Rhybo So for some reason the cracking of Apple products is justifiable to you but the cracking of the PS3 isn't? I'm pretty sure you lost all credibility in saying that...
  • freakyfro99 - January 7, 2011 4:52 p.m.

Pretty much every console ever has been hacked. Why is this raising so much more of a fuss? Because it took so much longer than usual? I know a lot of people don't believe it but I still say otherOS had some part in this. It kept the homebrew crowd at bay at least. When they took that away you got failoverflow in on the hacking too which made it go that much faster. Unfortunately, opening up the console to be able to do a bunch of good/fun stuff also opens it up to do some other bad stuff.
  • Rhybo - January 7, 2011 4:52 p.m.

@FriendlyFire If Kenmore told me that I couldn't put food in my fridge in order buy it, I wouldn't buy it. I would look for another product that allows me to do what I want with it. Cracking a PS3 and then digitally distributing it is first of all irresponsible, and once again (I'm sure) is stated in it's EULA that it's a prohibited act. GeoHot should find something else like free distributable source code that allows for alterations for a PC or something else that doesn't require agreeing to terms and conditions. Legally, we all read EULA's when we download software or use hardware and agree to use it. If you don't like how they are telling you to use a product then don't get it... if that's the only product out there of it's kind well I'm sorry but you have to deal with the legal consequences of screwing with it. He'll be held accountable for damages that his numbers will allow hackers to do whether or not he intended on having his crack used in such a way. If he really wants to do some good go jailbreak all of Apple's crap and get Steve Job's panties in a bunch, I would buy him a real drink for that.
  • rabidpotatochip - January 7, 2011 4:49 p.m.

If there's no way for me to play the games I've played without a backup I'm not particularly interested in a console; for me, the fact the PS3 is hacked is a good thing(tm). I buy my games used and play a burned copy to keep the original safe from careless hands (both children and adults). Apparently that makes me the other type of person killing the industry, the one who gives $10-20 to some kid on Ebay instead of buying a new copy for $60. I'm willing to agree that not paying full price for a game can also have harmful effects but it really bothers me that developers are starting to crack down on the used market by forcing us to pay for what everyone else had included by default (I'm looking at you, THQ). If you want extra money out of me get it the same way you get it from everyone else who already has the game: offer DLC that's worth playing.
  • Odpaterson - January 7, 2011 4:41 p.m.

@celticwhisper: Can you not see why the had the security in place? You can't seriously say they somehow wronged you by selling something with anti-piracy precautions build in. I'm getting pretty bored of the analogies here but here's some more: If you break into a bank, leaving a gaping whole in the front of the building just to prove you can bring walls down and you KNOW people will go and steal what's inside. do you not accept some responsibility for what then goes wrong. Sony had the right to put a wall there. You could go around taking the doors off peoples houses at night because you believe in the freedom to explore. But then there are bound to be burglaries. (I've got loads of these). You buy a PS3, you buy the restrictions that come with it.
  • Rhybo - January 7, 2011 4:32 p.m.

@celticwhisper Teddy Moore vs. Microsoft Corporation, April 15th 2002 (http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=7584728673499219609&q=EULA&hl=en&as_sdt=40002) is a great example of how the EULA ends up being a legally binding contract according to the "I accept" button. GeoHot's arguement legally is equivalent to the following: "I do not want to follow the rules set forth in the contract I agreed to"
  • Bloodstorm - January 7, 2011 4:31 p.m.

@celticwhisper You can't do whatever you want with the console you own if you are STEALING from other people. I don't care if you hack your PS3 so that you can make backup of your games or whatever, but when you open the floodgates for piracy on an epic level, your rights to use your product however you see fit no longer exist.
  • altair17 - January 7, 2011 4:30 p.m.

Honestly, this guy releases the numbers to the public, to the INTERNET PUBLIC. HE knows that the numbers can be used to hack the ps3, and yet releases it to the internet and he has the nerve to say he is does not support piracy. He knows that people are going to do bad things with the information they got from him. They are going to pirate the once, only console that was impervious to piracy.
  • FriendlyFire - January 7, 2011 4:29 p.m.

@Rhybo: Wait, what? Hitler directly ordered the Holocaust. To say what you've said is utterly fallacious. To keep with the hammer analogy, it's as if you ordered somebody else to use the hammer to kill somebody with it. We can all agree that this is clearly illegal, can't we? Yes, it's some shaky ground that we're treading with this PS3 crack, yet it's true that Sony is basically selling you a machine and then dictating how you can use it. Would you like it if Kenmore told you how to use your fridge? Would them embedding a tiny sheet of paper within the fridge saying that by opening the door you agree to follow the rules defined by Kenmore change your perception of that? No, it's still your fridge and Kenmore should get the hell out.
  • hoob22 - January 7, 2011 4:26 p.m.

Whether what Geohot did was legally or morally defensible is irrelevant to the majority of PS3 owners. This crack is bad for companies, devs, and ultimately gamers. Probably not going to be the end of gaming as we know it, but still pretty bad.
  • celticwhisper - January 7, 2011 4:26 p.m.

@Rhybo: Godwin's law aside, not quite the same. If Hitler ordered the construction of concentration camps but prescribed no use for them, that would be closer to what you're describing. "Here are some camp facilities. You could use them as...um...military training grounds. Or for something else." However, as the so-called "final solution" was of Hitler's design and those implementing it were under his command, the parallel you're drawing doesn't exist as you imagine it. If Geohot had cracked the PS3 and told an army of crackers under his command to "go forth and infringe Sony copyrights, use this tool I have given you to do so" then that, too, would be closer to the parallel you're drawing. As it is, however, he cracked the PS3's encryption keys and said "now it's open. Do what you will." The key point is "what you will." Yes, some people will certainly desire to pirate software, and those individuals should be fair game for reasonable infringement suits. Those who modify their PS3s out of a sense of curiosity, however, or for educational purposes in pursuit of an understanding of electronic engineering or software design, or who use Geohot's hack to run their own software or do whatever else they wish that's not proscribed by law, should be vigorously protected by both the courts and their peers in society from undue harassment from a company that has shown itself in the past to have little regard for the individual when it's pursuing perceived wrongdoing.
  • garnsr - January 7, 2011 4:23 p.m.

Hasn't the 360 been hacked for a while now? Piracy hasn't killed it yet. Do the hackers really believe that we believe they do it for the good of mankind? They do it just to show they can, and to screw with anyone they can.
  • Rhybo - January 7, 2011 4:14 p.m.

Stating that "cracking the PS3 opens the door for piracy, it does not necessitate it" and using your hammer argument, essentially acquits Hitler from the genocide of Jews. He didn't personally kill them, he simply ushered it in to the national mentality and military directives. GeoHot I'm not equating you to Hitler in any way (and I'm sorry I even used the big H in this dispute) but I still think you're a d-bag who was simply a little to selfish and didn't think ahead. Good luck in court.
  • Tispower - January 7, 2011 4:13 p.m.

Totally agree with you Justin! There's not moral reason to pirate games unless say censorship is involved, but 99.99999% of the time that's not the case. People just want to have their cake and eat it as it were.
  • celticwhisper - January 7, 2011 4:12 p.m.

@Rhybo: Sony can say that, but if a court of law says otherwise, then the law trumps Sony's wishes. As I said, EULAs have not been tested in court and so there is no legal precedent to say that "Yes, clicking 'I agree' constitutes a legally-binding contract." It may, it may not, but until it's tested we do not know and Sony is being disingenuous by claiming that it is. Also, while it's within their rights to refuse warranty service, refuse PSN access, and deny software updates to cracked PS3s, it is arguably less so for them to harass or persecute people for tinkering with hardware, even if it lights the way for results undesirable to Sony. As I said, if they want to go after illegal distribution of games, they should be permitted to. But to attack people simply for modifying hardware that they own is at least morally, if not also legally, indefensible.