• J-Fid - December 20, 2013 6:52 a.m.

This is all so true! Many people will play as Kirby in Smash Bros., but none of them will be MY Blue Kirby (seen in pic). It's funny when I play against people who use characters I'm good with, as they will use strategies that I'm like "been there, done that", then I show them new ones I've learned. Fighting games are easily my favorite genre, and this article certainly is one of the reasons why.
  • Jackonomics2.0 - December 20, 2013 8:52 a.m.

Nb4 "Smash bros isn't a fighting game"
  • J-Fid - December 20, 2013 11:01 a.m.

To me, it's a matter of 1-on-1 vs. Free-for-All. The former is definitely a fighter, while the latter can be both a party game or a non-traditional fighter. It's really all about how you play the game.
  • Jackonomics2.0 - December 20, 2013 12:18 p.m.

I know, that's just what one should expect, where I'm from it's a clusterfuck of arguments
  • universaltofu - December 20, 2013 9:37 a.m.

Yes, nothing compares for me to the time I used link to tear down my friends in succession who were using, falco, shiek, and marth, all arguably tough match ups, and personally were ones I struggled with, but one night at a small scale tournament I stepped up and took each of them down. Of course because the rinky dink nature of the tournament when it came to the final of me and two other guys, the guy in charge decides to have a three-for-all, and the other two were friends who immediately ganged up on me in a tornado of falco lazers and jiggly puffs. Then for my marth using friend, we would have sessions every once in a while, and it was really my peach that developed the most, for the longest time I would just beat him, but then he came at me one day and was on fire, he had put all his focus on just using marth and it showed, but then the next time I had worked it out, trained for just that match up and knew exactly what it would take to win from my approach, to my spacing, to simply correcting bad habits that were easily punished.
  • Shigeruken - December 20, 2013 5:54 a.m.

I'm not a big fan of the genre, but I certainly agree with you. A match is two people reacting to each other, in shooters I'm also battling net code. I live in NZ, so if someone sees me at the same time as I see them, I die. Even when playing a fighting game online my opponent is still moving in relation to me, it's not just about speed. It feels more like raw interaction for this reason, especially in local play.
  • Arkham_Musashi - December 20, 2013 5:42 a.m.

100% Agree. There's nothing like a good fight.
  • Gares - December 20, 2013 5:17 a.m.

So true, everyone should pick up and try to get good at a fighting game. The pureness of the fight can also teach you the value of hard work, and how to learn from failure and be a good loser. Thinking of the competitive fighting game scene, it embodies the "purely you" specialness of fighting games by being basically totally community run, for the love of the game more than the love of corporate prize money. That's something all gamers should look up to, despite other flaws that the community might have.
  • pl4y4h - December 20, 2013 4:47 a.m.

Granted it does depend on how balanced/broken a game is. Haven't played street fighter in ages but i assume with the whole super and ultra thing it's gotten pretty balanced and frees people up to master whatever character they want. That being said you travel out to mvc 2 and all you'll ever see is magneto, psylock, and sentinel (or hell maybe cable if you wanna get really sexy) vs my "fun" team of SonSon, Gambit, and Marrow. Was pretty heavy into NUNS too but my main Kankuro (and pretty much all puppet users) are hit with a huge disadvantage so I just kind of stray away from pretty much all fighting games (excluding soul calibur and Smash)
  • illi-cook - December 20, 2013 4:24 a.m.

This is a great article and one that I agree with - even though I don't play fighting games like that (too fast for me - I just end up button mashing), am currently enjoying War of the Vikings because it gives me the same type of competition with the infinite challenge of skilled / unpredictable human opponents. Am hoping that within this generation the ultimate in fighting games might aryse, like Ryse but with real fighting / duelling titanic personal combat!
  • TokenGamesRadarFurry - December 20, 2013 7:30 a.m.

Was gonna reply with something like this. Really don't enjoy fighting games myself, but there is is just something about about a good 1v1 in War of the Vikings that seems to capture a lot of what you talk about in this article.