• Memph - March 9, 2012 3:29 p.m.

Holy shit, an OL reference on today's technology. Scary. Which ofc gives us the important question. Is it afraid to die?! :O
  • santaclouse37 - March 9, 2012 3:18 p.m.

As always, a fantastically written article. I don't think Cage will ever be responsible for truly great interactive story-telling, but the fact that he's pushing the medium forward and trying to spurn advances in emotional storytelling gives me reason to applaud him. Whether or not his efforts are successful, they've ALWAYS got people talking (since Fahrenheit), spurning great discussion and articles such as this one and ultimately drawing more attention to games as a viable medium for mature storytelling.
  • Manguy17 - March 9, 2012 2:27 p.m.

BUT DARG PERTY GRAPHIX Just lowered the IQ in this comments page significantly, hooray. Good article, after reading this the demo now seems quite bad. "ive only just been born!" YAY STORYTELLING! It will be interesting to see what comes of this, but it really isnt alot more than perty graphix. I would imagine this tech used with an experimental title like Dear Esther would permit more creative freedom rather than a cliche box to please the masses.
  • Hydr0ponicK - March 9, 2012 2:59 p.m.

They were showing off a new engine...I think graphics would be the main emphasis in a demo.
  • Surfaced - March 9, 2012 4:12 p.m.

If it seems worse simply after reading this, then you're not thinking for yourself.
  • mockraven - March 9, 2012 1:25 p.m.

The assembly of Kara reminded me a lot of the "Ghost in the Shell" movie that came out back in '95. You had the "muscles," the head assembly, and the fluid growth of skin and hair over a mechanical body. It's resemblance to the Bjork music video is also interesting. I haven't seen the other references, but I am also reminded of Asimov's "i, Robot" and other sci-fi stories that touch on the subject. That said, it's still an enjoyable demo with a decent story for 7 minutes of time and only two actors.
  • nightasasin - March 9, 2012 12:49 p.m.

Wow, this article has spawned some decent well thought out comments. I appreciate your analysis of the demo, as I have never heard of some of the things that it was based off of, such as the Bjork video. What I think is that because it is a tech demo it has a limited time frame to create as much of an impact as possible, their objective being to impress or at least make a memorable scene, so they cram as many simple/cliche story telling devices in as possible to accomplish their objective. Essentially being effective and enjoyable without much thought to the average person. And I thought that this approach was fine, even if it was based off some obscure references.
  • Squander - March 9, 2012 12:43 p.m.

Interesting and well-explained statements, David. However the more so. searches for negative aspects, the higher the negative outcome will be - I am not a fan of such downward-spirals. I personally perceive the Kara-demo as a brilliant and awe-inspiring emotional rollercoaster: definitely one of my personal highlights, and yes I play games and watch movies for more than two decades.
  • Spartacus314 - March 9, 2012 1 p.m.

this this this, i totally agree with you lol, i was struggling finding my own words to make that same argument
  • Hydr0ponicK - March 9, 2012 11:25 a.m.

We're criticizing a 7minute demo's story that's not even about a future titled game? I thought it actually was a powerful demo to even evoke any emotion at all.
  • ncurry2 - March 9, 2012 11:14 a.m.

This is why Gamesradar is my most visited site. You get such a good mix of wild, zany humor and then you get articles like this that are so elegantly written and thought provoking. I also agree. I've always thought that games need to focus less on being "cinematic" and more on being games. I've played through and beaten all 3 Uncharteds but at the end of the day, I would much rather hop into something like Just Cause 2 and just dick around. I probably won't ever "play" any of the Uncharted games again because I've "played" through them once already. I know the story, I know the set pieces. My actions had little to no effect on the narrative. They are all still very impressive technically and have solid storylines and I understand why they have won so many awards. But they're just not really games to me; I could have just as easily watched a recording of someone else playing through the entire series and gotten the same experience. Meanwhile Just Cause 2 has a lot of short comings. Its story is pretty horrendous, its voice acting is atrocious, and it has a lot of bugs and glitches. But when I play it, I determine precisely what the experience is. It's so off the wall and so open that it just couldn't exist in any other medium. With regards to this Kara demo though, I understand that it's just that: a demo. No one is playing it and he said this is not indicative of any working title. It's merely showing off what their new tech can do and with regards to that, I think it's a complete success. What they do with it is something that I may have issues with but I'll hold off on that judgement until I see what exactly that is.
  • cosmicshambles - March 9, 2012 11:12 a.m.

It's just a demo! Jesus. The story is certainly unoriginal though (see I, Robot, and almost any Star Trek TNG featuring Data). And when did the pursuit of realism become such a terrible thing? I'm all for gameplay over hi-fidelity graphics, but there's room for both.
  • kiing8kong6 - March 9, 2012 11:04 a.m.

I think you all just have too much time on your hands. There isn't a theme that hasn't been used repeatedly. There is this thing called variety. Your views are based on how much variety you give yourself. You just burned yourself out of the theme. Others probably haven't yet so lets make a more informative article than an ignorant one.
  • Spartacus314 - March 9, 2012 11:47 a.m.

There is such a term as archetype, or motif...meaning universal themes are ideals used throughout time...variety has nothing to do with it. This article wasnt ignorant either, be nice lol
  • ultimatepunchrod - March 9, 2012 11:02 a.m.

Interesting article. I think you're right that games can do something different than movies, but there's no reason they can't try for both. If game devs didn't want to try for cinematic quality, there'd be no Uncharted (though, admittedly there's a lot more game to Uncharted than Heavy Rain). About the story of Kara, I did find it a bit cliché (what makes us human etc) but still well done. However, I had not seen the alluded to works, so I wasn't aware of how closely it ressembled them. I liked the video and since they've said a few times that it's not a game, I guess we'll have to wait and see what tgey do with the tech.
  • ultimatepunchrod - March 9, 2012 11:07 a.m.

*they
  • elppa284 - March 9, 2012 7:13 p.m.

I always got the sense that video games have more similarities with books than they do with cinema. Movies can involve the audience too, but both books and games fundamentally rely on participation and engagement. Look at avatar the movie--that was basically a screen projecting things forcefully to an audience with no expectation or respect of engagement/participation. Video games can combine the best from books and movies, and I agree that games like uncharted are all the more better because of the cinematic emphasis. I think one risk is that a large mass of people might see the demo and start pursuing the wrong path in video game development--a path that forgets the player is just as important as the game.
  • thafighta - March 9, 2012 11:02 a.m.

Interesting article. I agree that the storytelling aspects of the Kara tech demo could have been better and the technology is being over hyped a bit given the tech shown in Rockstar's L.A. Noire, but I am still excited about the possibilities Quantic Dream might explore in the coming years. Maybe it's cause no one else, other then indie games, are tackling this side of video games. Sure, you can give examples such as Mass Effect 1-3, and the emphasis Bioware put on relationships and the psyche of Commander Shepard with the "chase after little boy who represents humanity" dream sequence, but Quantic Dream focuses on something more human. Mass Effect displays much of the good in human beings while Quantic Dream isn't afraid to delve into the evil that resides in all of us. This dark side of human beings needs to be explored. Kara may not have been groundbreaking on it's story but the idea of we the players interacting with it, and Quantic Dream making these ideas possible is nothing more then an evolution that I am very happy to see.
  • Spartacus314 - March 9, 2012 10:56 a.m.

Interesting article, and well written which is always pleasant, however im going to disagree and one of your main points. Certainly the theme has been overdone, and you cannot deny the similarities to what you presented, however the critique over the visual cues which are supposed to trigger a reaction i feel was a judgement which could be reserved for every medium of entertainment. I look at journey and there are visual cues which are supposed to make gawk in wonder at the mystery. Your favorites movies have all done the same thing too, like how you mentioned Avatar, dunno if you disliked that movie, but i did sense some disdain for it. Overall accusation over visual styles affecting the consumers reaction to it is not an accusation at all, its just a noticeable quality if you look hard enough; hell look hard enough at anything and the magic always disappears. just my two cents.
  • Aratar - March 9, 2012 11:21 a.m.

He was commenting about the lazy and manipulative use of those visual cues, along with the use of character design as a substitute for complex characterisation. I found the whole thing completely cynical and contrived, just like Avatar really.