Topics

rpg

• Pruman - December 15, 2012 12:29 p.m.

Robo in Chrono Trigger, hands down. I'm a sucker for sentient robots to begin with, but Robo goes through one of the most harrowing journeys of any RPG character. Him getting the sh!t kicked out of him by his blue friends is still one of the most emotional and powerful moments in any RPG, and leaving him with Fiona in 600 AD, then jumping forward 400 years to find a shrine dedicated to him, then saving Lucca's mother, is still probably my favorite video game moment of all time. Hell, he even kills off his own girlfriend and goes against his machine god out of loyalty to you. He also has some kick-ass shadow attacks and combos with everyone else. Nobody beats Robo, and doubt any other party member ever will.
  • Person5 - December 15, 2012 2:57 p.m.

While Robo is pretty fantastic, there IS Frog. Watches his best friend his entire life get killed off by an evil sorcerer, then getting turned into a frog, basically drowns in depression. Plus he has one of the best themes of gaming history.
  • Pruman - December 15, 2012 4:01 p.m.

Heh Frog is great too. There are really no bad choices when you're talking Chrono Trigger. Even Crono the mute is given great characterization through his actions. Very similar to how a certain HEV-suited protagonist did a couple of years later. :)
  • Person5 - December 16, 2012 1:28 a.m.

True, all the characters in Chrono Trigger are great characters, even if they aren't the most useful in battle. And its amazing how much carrying a crow bar can add to a character.
  • Oliolioliooo - December 15, 2012 10:07 a.m.

Your pet in the Torchlight series.
  • Shinn - December 15, 2012 6:22 a.m.

Why isn't Doland on this list?
  • Clovin64 - December 15, 2012 5:37 a.m.

I agree with Juntin's choice. Donald is easily my favorite thing about the Kingdom Hearts games. I just wanted to reach into the screen and give him a big hug. :) I also have to give my love to Garrus and Tali (Mass Effect), Varric (Dragon Age 2) Lulu (FFX), and of course, mothrfuggin' Balthier (FFXII)!
  • Person5 - December 15, 2012 2:59 p.m.

Funny thing is, my first playthrough of KH 1, I always switched out Donald for whatever world specific party member there was, this ended up being a terrible decision as I was left with an extremely underpowered Donald and I learned he was really useful. Now any future playthroughs I ignore the world specific party member and stick with Goofy and Donald.
  • nintendo365 - December 15, 2012 3:56 a.m.

Either Frog from Chrono Trigger or Poo from Earthbound. Both of those guys have saved my ass COUNTLESS times. At least 70 times each. In Earthbound, when Poo left to return to his training, it was like losing a limb. He was so powerful that he essentially was an auto leveling system, just grind on some dinosaurs and get from 40-60 in an hour tops. But when that bad mofo came back, WHOO BOY. The PK Starstorm was so dope that they stole it from Poo to give to Ness and Lucas in Brawl. Its THAT awesome. Plus it could give any 10 year old kid a seizure. Frog was a sick ally through and through. He was the cornerstone of my squad in Chrono Trigger. I had 3 teams total, Frog-Chrono-Marle, Frog-Marle-Lucca, Frog-Lucca-Robo. THAT WAS IT. the only time I didnt have him was when he went all emo and hid out in the woods and you have to do that stressful ass quest to get him back. Also in the PSX versions end credits cutscene, they made his human form look like a green-haired version of Vegeta from DragonBall GT. Oh and he slashed open a mountain. Did I forget to mention that?
  • Person5 - December 15, 2012 3:01 p.m.

"Chrono, handeth me the Masamune!" *Chrono sticks the sword in the ground*
  • 2weekrental - December 15, 2012 2:19 a.m.

Yuffie.
  • winner2 - December 15, 2012 12:16 a.m.

I'm gonna go with lady bow in paper mario
  • wadesmit - December 14, 2012 11:29 p.m.

Princess Nadia/ Marle from Chrono Trigger.
  • shawksta - December 14, 2012 9:50 p.m.

Cool article! Ah Party Members, they're always awesome and some even give us great memories. I have many favorites and their all awesome so im gonna dig up one from my childhood and say Bow from Paper Mario. It was basically the power of Chapter 3(which still has the power as far as The Paper Mario series is concerned), the star spirit escaped!........except its now captured by bow. Making the whole bribe issue being all uptight about Tubba Blubba very interesting and bizarre. Her personality caught my attention but OH HO HO her attacks are even more awesome! Literally B*tch smacking enemies and scaring them made her so memorable and even the fact that it was supposed to be a deal thing, i thought she was gonna leave till she told me she'll stay.
  • punkduck2064 - December 14, 2012 9:39 p.m.

Wrex from Mass Effect 1, he was such a powerful and dynamic character. He goes from cold killer to the leader of the Krogan race. On my first playthrough I accidentally killed him, I immediately jumped up and shut off my Xbox for fear of loosing my favorite character. It corrupted my save and had to start all over, and I have never regretted it
  • Pruman - December 15, 2012 3:59 p.m.

+1. Wrex is my runner up to Robo, and it was one of my personal saddest moments in gaming when I realized that he was going to die and there was nothing I could do to change that. I made sure to max out Charm on my second playthrough to save him.
  • C.King - December 14, 2012 9:25 p.m.

Luigi in super star saga he brought me a whole lot of laughs and had one power Mario never had the thunder hand
  • Brutalicus - December 14, 2012 9:08 p.m.

On the contrary, Wakka had the greatest damage potential in FFX. His best Overdrive had a greater number of hits than even Tidus' Jecht Shot. Once I realized this a small part of me died because I had to shelf Auron for him. Sad memories...
  • Elementskater - December 14, 2012 6:59 p.m.

Joachim Valentine from Shadow Hearts: Covenant. That guy was as silly and random as he was big. Who else gets to beat enemies senseless with random objects they find in the field, like a giant fish or a mailbox. Plus he could turn into a bat. Definitely one of the most memorable gaming characters ever!
  • oshunanat - December 14, 2012 7:50 p.m.

I second this! He always brought a sense of levity and his form shifts made him interesting to play with too.
  • SlickSubs - December 15, 2012 4:24 p.m.

This is my pick too. A flamboyant pro-wrestling vampire that can use any strange object as a weapon. Clear winner.
  • pl4y4h - December 14, 2012 6:06 p.m.

Hahahaha was not expecting to see Boney on this list. Personally I would have either chosen him, Duster, or Salsa. And for FFX I would've taken Auron or Kimahri as well.