Topics

rpg

• saltorio - December 17, 2012 6:28 a.m.

How is it possible no one has mentioned Minsc from Baldur's Gate II? "Go for the eyes Boo!" I'd also have to say Jack and Liara from Mass Effect are great characters. Miranda would be on my list too, though that has alot to do with her being voiced and modeled after the lovely Yvonne Strahovski.
  • Thedigitalg - December 17, 2012 2:46 a.m.

Vivi, from FFIX. His story really resonated with me, struggling to understand the point in life and his place in it. My angsty, teenage self ate that shit up. And the ending, when *SPOILER* he is implied to have died after 'stopping' almost killed me.
  • TheDudeFromNowhere - December 17, 2012 12:32 a.m.

1.Red XIII -- (Final Fantasy 7) -- The story about his dad and clan was too epic. 2. Kid -- (Chrono Cross) -- Great and lovable character. I hated getting Glen at the cost of not "saving" her, but Glen was too good to pass up. 3. Deego Aegis -- (Rogue Galaxy) -- A pit bull demi-human who has a mechanical arm and wields a gigantic ax -- I have nothing else to say.
  • Exiled Reaper - December 16, 2012 2:46 p.m.

Hard decision but I'm gonna have to go with nemchafa's choice of HK-47 from KoTOR 1 and 2. The droid has one of the finest, most well-crafted personalities in gaming history. My second favourite would be Wrex (ME1/3); harsh exterior but with time you come to understand exactly why Wrex is the way he is and somehow fall in love with not just his better traits but his faults as well. Third comes Barrett (FF7); loved his cranky personality, as well as that old gatling gun for an arm.
  • nemchafa - December 16, 2012 2:15 p.m.

people i have just 4 symbols for you HK 47
  • keltar93 - December 16, 2012 12:23 p.m.

I'm going to have to go with Garrus (Mass Effect) and Frog (Chrono Trigger).
  • jackthemenace - December 16, 2012 9:37 a.m.

I don't nkow whether it counts, but I'd have gone with Riku in Kingdom Hearts 2- even though he's only a party member briefly, I frigging love Riku. Same goes for Axel in 358/2 days. If they don't count, I'd definitely go with Garrus, or maybe Anders from Dragon Age: Origins. And I MEAN Origins, not that crappy redone version in DA II.
  • nemesisuprising - December 16, 2012 9:28 a.m.

Hmmmm...toss up between Allistar for his almost child like moments, and sten for his "softie" moments...especially with kittens...funny how both are from dragon age when I practically always prefer JRPG's too...
  • Bhaalspawn1358 - December 16, 2012 4:16 a.m.

No! Say it is not so! We will no longer fight evil together? Boo will miss you, . Forever shall we hang our heads in sadness in remembrance of our great butt-kicking friend.
  • britishguy - December 16, 2012 2:32 a.m.

Alistar from dragon age origins definitely
  • henbonda - December 16, 2012 2:05 a.m.

Fawkes from fallout 3 was my best, he was a legend, carried a load of loot and was as hard as nails. Others Auron - FF10 Irvine - FF8 (awesome limit break) Thane or Kasumi - ME2 and Cait Sith - FF7 dont know why but was always in my party!?
  • ShadeOfLight - December 16, 2012 1:46 a.m.

The Great Mizuti from the criminally underappreciated Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean, and off course Guillo from its prequel, Baten Kaitos Origins. I would eat you for forgetting those but you know; us heroes, we have so much to do.
  • MrJP - December 17, 2012 10:13 a.m.

Baten Kaitos was fantastic, but I wasn't a fan of Mizuti, I always preferred Gibrari. -Drachma from Skies of Arcadia legends. -Kratos from Tales of Symphonia. -Sephiroth when you are with him in FFVII and he is whooping all sorts of ass.
  • cgriff63 - December 15, 2012 10:57 p.m.

Carth Onasi- SWKOTOR Thane- ME2 Yangus- DQ VIII and Ayla- Chrono Trigger
  • Squishyman - December 15, 2012 9:24 p.m.

Morrigan - Dragon Age Alistar - Dragon Age Liara - Mass Effect
  • sirdilznik - December 19, 2012 10:22 a.m.

You're the first person I've met that actually liked Alistair.
  • Person5 - December 15, 2012 3:10 p.m.

I think it'd have to be Jeff from Earthbound. Every other character in that game has immense PSI powers to obliterate foes with, yet you have Jeff, with no PP to use. He makes due by using rocket launchers and ray guns, rocket launchers! not only that but his last name is Andonuts, that's just awesome. Furthermore, the IQ stat in that game based how fast your PP increased on level up, since that would be useless for Jeff, it is actually his IQ. The higher it is, the more things he can fix when everyone else is resting in a hotel. Plus, and this is the big one, he saved me from zombies and a hot chick. Also without his bottle rockets, I don't think I'd be able to beat the Boogey Tent.
  • Pruman - December 15, 2012 12:29 p.m.

Robo in Chrono Trigger, hands down. I'm a sucker for sentient robots to begin with, but Robo goes through one of the most harrowing journeys of any RPG character. Him getting the sh!t kicked out of him by his blue friends is still one of the most emotional and powerful moments in any RPG, and leaving him with Fiona in 600 AD, then jumping forward 400 years to find a shrine dedicated to him, then saving Lucca's mother, is still probably my favorite video game moment of all time. Hell, he even kills off his own girlfriend and goes against his machine god out of loyalty to you. He also has some kick-ass shadow attacks and combos with everyone else. Nobody beats Robo, and doubt any other party member ever will.
  • Person5 - December 15, 2012 2:57 p.m.

While Robo is pretty fantastic, there IS Frog. Watches his best friend his entire life get killed off by an evil sorcerer, then getting turned into a frog, basically drowns in depression. Plus he has one of the best themes of gaming history.
  • Pruman - December 15, 2012 4:01 p.m.

Heh Frog is great too. There are really no bad choices when you're talking Chrono Trigger. Even Crono the mute is given great characterization through his actions. Very similar to how a certain HEV-suited protagonist did a couple of years later. :)