• austin128 - January 13, 2011 1:32 a.m.

8. Black Guy Description: A black guy Psychoanalysis: You find it funny to make your character a black person.
  • BrianDowns - January 13, 2011 1:39 a.m.

I always go for the badass. If i'm slaying demons and saving the world then i'm a badass. So why not look the part?
  • fattoler - January 13, 2011 2:08 a.m.

I always clone, then I put on the smartest clothes possible, and maybe a cool hat. You should do a clothes article next.
  • quincytheodore - January 13, 2011 3:54 a.m.

@codzprc So true.. :clap: why stare at polygon male's ass when you can stare at polygon female's ass, much easier to my eyes
  • KnightDehumidifier - January 13, 2011 4:07 a.m.

I aspire to make every character in every video game to appear as the hero of Space Mutiny. For future reference: http://www.badmovies.org/movies/spacemutiny/spacemutiny6.jpg Then in every video game featuring my dumb and overtly almighty slab of strong stuffing, I proceed to charge into every enemy screaming obscenities and one-liners in the hopes of survival. I won't, but I'll have fun.
  • ThundaGawd - January 13, 2011 4:29 a.m.

Lol, good read. Unfortunately, I don't fit into any of these categories. I tend to make my characters look as average as possible (still overall good-looking though), then I take a particular feature and make it stand out. For example, my main character in Vindictus is a roughly 6 foot tall woman with long black hair. But she has blood red eyes with a crimson tattoo centered over her right eye. (I'm actually a guy in real life, but the characters in that game are gender locked :))
  • FauxFurry - January 13, 2011 5:41 a.m.

You might need to add an 'Amateur Character Designer' for the likes of me. I'll go with whatever is most visually appealing or stylish yet fits the world as well as the behavioral options provided to the player so long as it doesn't look too dull or garish in the end. I also try to create as many characters as I have save slots available though sometimes,with fighting or wrestling games, I dip in to the Look-Alike category as pure roster filler(such as using Bleach characters, The Hulk and She-Hulk knock-offs in Soul Calibur 4,appropriate as shounen anime and American comic books heavily rely on filler content). What does it say about me that I have a Saint's Row 2 character who is a extra dark skinned heavy set woman with dreadlocks and Rastafarian inspired ensemble (which occassionally includes black chaps),a thick-necked granite faced blonde haired blue eyed male (Solipsis)Shepard in Mass Effect who bears a slight resemblance to Ron Pearlman, a pink-ish Khajiit girl with the headbanded hairstyle in Oblivion, and an incredibly pale skinned dapper people eating Mephistophelian fellow in a suit and tinted glasses in FallOut 3 (who I essentially recreated in Fallout:New Vegas recently after a playthrough as a Japanese woman with blue hair)? That I'm whimsical? Okay,maybe I just analyzed myself just there. That's your job,right?
  • AntiGuardian - January 13, 2011 7:09 a.m.

I'd say 90% of the avi's I've messed with in video games and websites are emo looking. First rule is to be unique though. I like the reason you tried to give it. Or DID give it, with intelligent thought. Things like this can be given wide reason that, whether accurate or not, makes sense and is accepted.
  • TheWebSwinger - January 13, 2011 7:38 a.m.

I liked this article, even if I don't necessarily agree.
  • IRIsH - January 13, 2011 7:52 a.m.

I always start but then get bored of character creation and end up giving up and playing with whatever I've done (ended up with some beastly creations) or whatever is there already (Shepard looks like Shepard). Good read though
  • Tomsta666 - January 13, 2011 8:35 a.m.

So yeah, im a red blooded, mans man. But given the choice, my character creations are always dainty women. What does that say about me eh?
  • kennytheinsane - January 13, 2011 9:59 a.m.

I usually make all five of these just for fun. Even going as far attempting to make clones of my friends. I get a possibly unhealthy amount of fun out of a good character creator. Although my main is always The Clone.
  • CitizenWolfie - January 13, 2011 12:52 p.m.

I like to do all of them - especially on games like Smackdown which allows for multiple character saves. The types all seem accurate though, pretty much any of my created characters fall into one of these groups.
  • fueler335 - January 13, 2011 1:22 p.m.

GREAT article! I laughed all the way through.Thanks!
  • philipshaw - January 13, 2011 1:43 p.m.

Interesting article, I think I try to make the character look like me and if the game doesn't let me do that then I will go for the dream version
  • Snowyjoe - January 13, 2011 2:57 p.m.

You forgot one factor. Theme: Creating a character and giving it personality and character that based on the game world
  • Pirazha - January 13, 2011 3:38 p.m.

@codzprc Same here. When being Male gives you advantages, like Oblivion, i am nr. 5.
  • Y2Ken - January 13, 2011 4:06 p.m.

I generally make myself in football games, and a random (but normal looking, probably closest to badass out of these) in most other games - Fallout, Mass Effect, Smackdown and so on. Then in Sims I make just an average looking dude depending on how I'm playing. Sometimes kinda suave, sometimes quite scruffy, occasionally a little tubby. Whatever I'm feeling would be fun.
  • MattMk2 - January 13, 2011 4:26 p.m.

What about what I do? I just use the default character.
  • monsterhunter3rox - January 13, 2011 5:21 p.m.

oh,fine.i admit.my character in tri is a badass.as badass as almost crapping his pants at the sight of a jhen moran can be