Topics

Features Quiz

• sweetchiliheat - September 7, 2013 5:55 a.m.

Wow, so I'd be a RPG, Japanophile Achievement/Trophy Whore? Although to be honest, the RPG gamer was definitely sounded the most like me.
  • hatzume - September 15, 2013 11:07 p.m.

same here bro
  • ray-van-rheenen - September 7, 2013 5:37 a.m.

guess I am a FPS-racer gamer :P
  • Rub3z - September 7, 2013 4:07 a.m.

***Sigh*** The racists like me are left out... But yeah, I'm a high-octane action completionist kind of guy who loves indie games. That are fun, at least. I don't prize indie games that are just... well... indie for indie's sake, do you know what I mean? For example, Fez is an indie game that by no means has ridiculous speeds, high-octane action and explosions and shit that I love, but see, it's engaging for the mind on fantastic levels that I could never once dream a game could accomplish. Therefore, Fez is an every-bit-indie game that I can appreciate. In some other ways, people hated Braid for the reason I cited... that it was way up its own ass with its message or story, that it was "pretentious" or something like that. Who am I to judge? Because, y'know what, it had great gameplay. So there, shut up and quit whining about it, and don't play it if you honestly hate the reading parts between levels that much. Jeez. You could just, like, walk right past them. No big deal. And then Meat Boy came along and was indie in the complete opposite way from Fez. Incredibly demanding of one's fingers and patience, that is. And now Bioshock Infinite is here and it's demanding of your fingers, reflexes, attention and discussion and contemplation and analysis and so forth. And I jump into Borderlands 2 way too much even though it's... only really demanding of my trigger finger, but THAT'S IRRELEVANT DON'T JUDGE ME THE GUNS ARE SHINY. So when it comes to achievements, I go for ones that are demanding of me or task me with challenging myself or playing the game in a whole different manner or line of thinking (that's why Clash in the Clouds is awesome), and as such I actually don't hate when a game demands I unlock the harder difficulty, because for me it's like I'll jump into the hardest difficulty currently on offer, as a testing the waters kind of exercise, "Alright, game, attack me with everything you have. Pah! Child's play. Next difficulty! This is great." That's why Dark Souls and Meat Boy are awesome. Because it's not a matter of everything around you getting more difficult, it's a joint matter of YOU PERSONALLY becoming more awesome to meet that difficulty. That's me. Games become work for me not because I'm chasing achievements (the meaningless grindy ones, anyway), but because I want them to challenge me in some way. Whether that's increasing my chances of carpal tunnel; expanding my boundaries of personal thought and emotion through the interactive medium; or instilling a sense of accomplishment from having done something few others could do or are willing to do. All very self-destructive and rife with the possibility of being short-lived, you see. Not surprising that I'm a runner. :)
  • barrage7667 - September 7, 2013 3:36 a.m.

Wait, so you are saying that I'm an action, RPG, artsy, japanophile gamer?
  • BubDot - September 7, 2013 2:55 a.m.

What about drunken gamers?
  • tahunua001 - September 7, 2013 12:26 a.m.

I'm somewhere between an RPG gamer and achievement whore.
  • Jacko415 - September 7, 2013 12:14 a.m.

Action-rpg gamer.
  • g1rldraco7 - September 6, 2013 8:39 p.m.

I m a achievement whore, RPG,Action-y gamer who doesn't play COD and a fighting game efficienado :P
  • Fro4show - September 6, 2013 8:33 p.m.

surprised that fighting gamer isn't a category. i'm sure they exist. same with strategy gamers and speedrunners. I probably fit in best with the action, rpg, and artsy types.
  • Captain_eff - September 6, 2013 8:05 p.m.

Achievement whore reporting in, recently 100%d Saint's Row 4. I hate videogames, please kill me.
  • taokaka - September 6, 2013 7:06 p.m.

I'm an RPG gamer and Japanophile, neither of which surprise me. My portable library is mostly rpgs with a few puzzle games and whenever a console RPG comes along that I'm interested in I make sure I pick it up just before a study break/holiday so I can joyfully marathon the 50 hour game over 3 or 4 days . I value story as highly as gameplay in video games and a lot of western games just don't seem to bother even trying to make a good story so I look towards Japanese games.
  • D0CCON - September 6, 2013 6:08 p.m.

Mostly RPG with a decent bit of artsiness and some action on top. If there were a category for explorer, I'd likely be that. It's the reason that TES is my favorite series, why I love open world games, and why the only achievement/trophy whore category I fit was the one about an 8 hour game becoming a 40 hour game. I love to absorb all of that stuff and just find things. Let me walk in a direction in Fallout 3 and I'll know the developers will give me some awesome vault, quest, or location to stumble upon.
  • supaMcnugget - September 6, 2013 4:25 p.m.

I'm a RPG-Artsy gamer. I love spending lots of time on my games, most of which are non-mainstream. I do have to admit that the only non-indie next gen games that I would consider myself interested in are Battlefield 4, Final Fantasy XV, and Kingdom Hearts III. Other than that.....indies all the way!
  • theguyinthecloset - September 6, 2013 3:47 p.m.

so I'm a arty action RPG nostaligist japanophile...
  • Shnubby - September 6, 2013 12:57 p.m.

Oh and none of these results really suited me. I play mainstream games as well as games no one has ever heard of. I'm loud and competitive, I hate to lose and get frustrated easily. I buy modern games but also fill many shelves of my home with PS1, N64 and many other old games. So I'm a retro/modern/mainstream/indie-rpg/rage gamer I suppose?
  • larkan - September 6, 2013 2:28 p.m.

I'm the same way as you, we should just call ourselves Nephilim, that's what everyone else is calling elite people nowadays
  • Shnubby - September 7, 2013 8:24 a.m.

Nephilim? Why is anyone calling anyone that? I swear that makes no sense! Haha
  • Shnubby - September 6, 2013 12:55 p.m.

Avatar: The Last Airbender (Avatar: The Legend of Aang, here in the UK) wasn't released on PS3 or Xbox 360 so therefore wouldn't be on a "profile" for anyone to look at. Only Avatar: The Burning Earth was released for Xbox 360. Just sayin'. Yes I am was of the very small percentage of people that actually enjoyed those games.
  • Verenitz - September 6, 2013 12:13 p.m.

Action-y, RPG gamer with a slight bit of Achievement/Trophy Whoring. I haven't been that big on achievements, but I'm getting there...eventually...