Topics

Great Debate rpg

• Errrrbo - September 22, 2012 1:01 a.m.

I prefer JRPGs, personally. Being able to make your own story is cool sometimes, but at the end of the day, the game stories that I find most memorable are ones where characters act on their own will rather than waiting for me to pick a dialogue option.
  • Fox_Mulder - September 22, 2012 5:23 a.m.

Coop, you destroy the competition as always. I think JRPGs are part of a dying breed. They need some new innovations, so we can stop playing essentially the same game we have for the past 14 years.
  • Meleedragon27 - September 22, 2012 6:40 a.m.

This is a tough one... both sub-genres have plenty to both love and hate, and while I personally prefer WRPGs for a number of reasons, I thought Henry made a more compelling argument. That conflict makes it hard for me to cast my vote. I'm personally amazed at the number of people who seem to think WRPGs aren't "true" RPGs because they don't utilize turn-based combat or because the protagonist is a largely blank slate. If anything, WRPGs are closer to RPGs than JRPGs because they put much more emphasis on actual role-playing - namely, the blank slate protagonist. While some may decry it as lazy writing, it's there to allow the player to better immerse themselves and act as if they're actually there. This usually includes having them make up the backstory and, of course, making their own choices on how to approach things during their adventure. The choices may often be tacked-on, you can argue, but it doesn't change the fact that you still have choices and the character in question is still shaped by YOU, the player. In a way, games like Skyrim are big, glorified LARP-fests.
  • brickman409 - September 22, 2012 9:55 a.m.

would it be racist if I said all JRPG characters looked the same?
  • patbateman17 - September 22, 2012 11:53 a.m.

Only if by "the same" you meant slanty-eyed, then yes that would be racist. Otherwise, this is an observation :)
  • TheInvincibleDragon - September 22, 2012 10:24 a.m.

Myself, personally, I started out playing JRPGs when I was younger. My first RPG was the original Final Fantasy. While my heart yearns for the glory days of good ol' fashioned JRPGs, Western RPGs spin more compelling stories than JRPGs nowadays. I'm all about the storytelling in the RPG, and Western RPGs have a more stories that I can relate to. My vote is with Western RPGs.
  • Thedigitalg - September 22, 2012 11:55 a.m.

Is this even a discussion? The two are completely different genres-within-genres (like Tetris and Portal are both puzzle games, but nothing alike). WRPG - Action-based, JRPG - Story-based. My opinion, if anyone cares, is that WRPGs are basically glorified FPS'. But that's just me.
  • DarthKato - September 22, 2012 11:57 a.m.

I believe that it really comes down to personal taste. Neither can be said to be better than the other. I think that WRPGs are better, but I am sure that there will be people that agree and disagree with me. That is fine. It's not going to change my mind one way or the other. What I am trying to say is that this kind of article is useless, because it all comes down to personal preference.
  • Thedigitalg - September 22, 2012 11:59 a.m.

Also, you're wrong on one point, Henry. FF13-2 ended with like 4 cliffhangers and loose ends, and low and behold there is a 13-3! Otherwise I agree with you.
  • LordEvan88 - September 22, 2012 3:11 p.m.

This really seems to be a case of apples and oranges. They are two different things and should be judged on their own games, rather than comparing the two. I've played 4 games these past 6 months that are perfect examples of this: Early in the year I got Mass Effect 3. Really has some of the worst qualities of WRPGs these days, extremely cliched characters, little options in developing your character, an overabundance of focus on running and gunning to attract the action crowd. They seem to have abandoned the pretense of choices having consequences. This is not touching the ending. Point is, I played it, put it down and I have no desire to go back because once you play it ever again. After that I played Final Fantasy XIII-2. This was largely due to the fact that I heard it was non-linear and offered more choice than its predecessor. But all I really got was brightly collored fluff doing ninja stunts during quick time events. All of the things that have been turning me off permeates the style of the game. Admittedly, it was too much for me. I couldn't care about the characters or world because they were so over-the-top. Now later in the year I sunk my teeth into Persona 4. And although the characters weren't terribly original the characters seemed really down to earth and fun to be around and the style of the game set itself apart from most other games I had played. It has a nice mixture of humor and melodrama, so that it never gets bogged down in itself, but also hits you hard when it decides to be serious. Rounding it out is my much delayed playthrough of Planescape: Torment. I hate the battle system, its pretty much all the worst qualities of DnD. Painfully old school. But the characters and the world and the quest and the sense of my choices, past, present and future having dire consequences for me and my followers (Even if they don't, actually) just draw me into what could be a very generic fantasy world. The writing is so sharp and treats the player like an adult, which is a welcome break from a lot of games which think being an adult means constant sex and violence being shoved in your face. There are 4 different games from two different genres and they are so incredibly distinct from one another I cannot put them on the same scale, so why try to force it?
  • Shinn - September 26, 2012 6:06 a.m.

Polish rpgs win.
  • MrUnreal - October 2, 2012 1:35 p.m.

Its quite arbitrary but simply been able to customise my characters appearance, back-story and abilities makes me a fan of WRPG's
  • omar-morhbi - December 29, 2012 7:43 p.m.

Tbh, even though I voted for Henry, I still thought that Cooper was better on his explanations with the WRPGs. I actually played more JRPGs than WRPGs but I still think both are really good. I'm not a fanboy and I can go with any RPG game as long as it's good.