Topics

Great Debate rpg

• Stabby_Joe - September 20, 2012 5:42 p.m.

I'm inclined to the WRPG since there is more variety in basic gameplay and conventions. While I do like JRPGs to, I can't bring myself to play any where near as many since in some cases it's "played one, you've played them all" type situations. For example with the biggest of their genre there are more differences between Mass Effect and The Elder Scrolls than Final Fantasy and Persona (and yes I know there are differences with those to). But then again as others have said, to each their own. The funny thing is, the best Japnese-made RPG I've played recently, Dark Souls, seems be something of a Japanese-WRPG... confusing really haha!
  • Lurkero - September 20, 2012 5:24 p.m.

Different strokes for different folks. There, I win. Also, the term RPG has been reduced to meaning your character - whether predefined or customized - simply levels up. Most RPGs have you experiencing a role more than you are "playing" it.
  • freeden - September 20, 2012 5:18 p.m.

While I do enjoy some WRPG's, JRPG's are still my fave. They've always been more memorable experiences, with moments that almost always trump Western counterparts. I can't say that I really have any fond memories from Mass Effect or Dragon Age, even if they are great series, but I can say that I still remember moments from Phantasy Star 4 or Final Fantasy X that still are fondly remembered in my gaming history.
  • RandomShadow44 - September 20, 2012 5:07 p.m.

This is the kind of debate I enjoy. They aren't simply throwing biased nonsense at each other. Each statement and rebuttal obviously had some knowledge behind it. Both of them were right about certain things and it really made me think. But, I will always love JRPGs over any other. I simply find them more enjoyable. Even if they are all filled with teenagers with spiky hair and an eye for crystals.
  • jackthekingsmit - September 20, 2012 4:58 p.m.

I can't really say I have a favourite to choose out of the two different takes on the genre, for the most part JRPG's have better more memorable classics in my opinion, but WRPG's have had the edge for the last few years, but despite all that Henry absolutely smashed Cooper in this debate.
  • ThatGamerDude - September 20, 2012 4:54 p.m.

Say what you want, but I still firmly believe that JRPGs are superior to WRPGs. I do give credit to WRPGs for trying to innovate more on the RPG formula than JRPGs but that's actually the problem. The more WRPGs try to innovate on the formula, the more they stray away from being technically "RPGs". As a preference for myself, I find JRPGs to be much more challenging on occasion than WRPGs. Trust me, play Star Ocean: The Last Hope International and you'll truly see what I mean!
  • Tyrande - September 20, 2012 7:16 p.m.

omg!! that's so true!! the post dungeons totally kick your ass when you first wander into them!!
  • ThatGamerDude - September 20, 2012 8:36 p.m.

Indeed, even at all my characters at about lv.80 I lost so many times especially against Gabriel Celeste.
  • Tyrande - September 22, 2012 12:39 a.m.

mine are at level 150 (i was like WOW it goes past lv 100, then like seriously when did i get to lv 150!!) yet i still can't beat Gabriel Celeste due to crappy armour and weapons... well i only tried one time, but he still royaly kicked my ass. entering and getting to gabriel celeste is probably the most perservering thing i've done, the wasps at the beginning were brutal.
  • ParagonT - September 21, 2012 6:24 a.m.

Star Ocean, Phantasy Star, and the like took me forever to beat. I like them, but they were such a grind. Challenging.... perhaps, but I was bored to tears trying to drudge through it. Not to say it was bad in any means, just not for some I seen.
  • Letter11 - September 20, 2012 4:51 p.m.

I'm completely biased as a self professed Japanophile but I still appreciate what both sides bring the table. However with the often open ended nature of most Western RPGs, sometimes the gravity of plot is lost in the infinite amount of variables. So when a JRPG delivers a really strong narrative, and really makes you care about the characters, at that moment in my eyes they outshine the West. Fun debate.
  • J-Fid - September 20, 2012 4:30 p.m.

There's a bug somewhere on slide 6.
  • J-Fid - September 20, 2012 6:53 p.m.

It has been fixed, thank you quality control team.