• Craza - August 25, 2012 11:45 a.m.

93-95% of what? Of total people pirating? Of their total games library being pirated? Of a particular series or franchise being pirated? Just saying 95% of piracy means nothing and makes me say you're full of shit Ubisoft.
  • CrashmanX - August 23, 2012 8:23 a.m.

Until I see some cold hard facts, I'm calling bull shit. I myself don't play too many Ubisoft games, I usually end up just watching friends play them for the story, but I know it's not NEARLY that bad. If that were the case retailers wouldn't even bother buying the boxed releases because they wouldn't sell. I want facts Ubi. You want to know why your piracy rates go up? Cause you're pissing off all the PC gamers.
  • amagasakiseb - August 23, 2012 2:38 a.m.

Another factor with this whole piracy might is the abundance of high speed internet at a very low price (well in some places anyway). Having said that, the games of a few years ago with file sizes of 2GB being downloaded on a 2mb connection are now 15GB files on 15mb a second (just an example don't crucify me) Interesting how people say "you wouldn't steal a car so why would you steal a video game?" If you look at the EULA that comes with a video game you very rarely actually own the game outright. What's the point of paying all that money when you don't even get to honestly say it's yours? I think if they let people own their video games completely, it would go some way to fixing the problem but we all know that there are some people (even rich people) who pirate out of boredom rather than anything else.
  • CrashmanX - August 23, 2012 8:26 a.m.

The difficulty with owning a Car vs. a Video game is that sure, you own the files to your game just like you own the parts to your car. However with video game files I can go out and make a million and two copies of it, while I can't do that with my car parts. With games you're usually buying a license to use the software in an attempt to prevent piracy. The other problem is the creative parts of a game and the engine. If you buy a car the engine is yours to do with as you please because you can't go and make more cars with that engine, while with a game you can. It's a very difficult situation for either side.
  • Malakie - August 22, 2012 5:50 p.m.

UBISOFT is not losing 95% of its sales to piracy. UBISOFT is losing 95% of its sales to legitimate users and customers like me due to its change to a draconian DRM use! I posted a while ago when UBISOFT changed their code and DRM use. I said I would cease to buy their products as did thousands of other players. Now UBISOFT is seeing the impact and so they want to blame someone other than their own greed. I purchased most UBISOFT games up and until they changed their DRM use and forced internet on us. I do not live in an area that has high speed internet access. I live in the rural areas of Wisconsin and thus was not able to purchase nor play any games that require internet access. Yes, I am sure piracy has an impact on sales. HOWEVER UBISOFT is not losing all their sales to piracy... only to their own greed. One last point... their game titles are becoming more and more crappy and bug ridden to top it off so I can bet that plays into it just as much. Quit blaming piracy for all your problems. It is the high retail price, DRM and bug ridden code that is costing you, not a few pirated copies.
  • Vincent Wolf - August 22, 2012 11:34 p.m.

Well, I was going to write an angry comment but this dude here said it all for me. Cheers.
  • CrashmanX - August 23, 2012 8:30 a.m.

I agree with this all the way. While I don't live in a rural area I have friends and family that do and when I go to visit I can't play most games that require steam or other DRM to be active, which is highly annoying. As far as bugs go, I refuse to buy Bethesda games myself anymore because they're just so bug ridden. It's not like most games before where there were occasional bugs, no anymore they're usually game breaking or just plain annoying. I've grown tired of it. While you can argue that most companies have that problem and not just Bethesda, they're just the most notorious example.
  • pinoklin - May 6, 2013 1:35 p.m.

even steam is pretty cool with his system. i play many steam games while offline, and i only need to be online...for online games like tf2. but forcing DRM on single player games is just a terrible practice, and with the new xbox rumor that says it might have DRM, well i might just go sony this gen, i have purchased 2 xbox and never hooked them to live because i do not have a good enough internet connection.
  • Apastron - August 26, 2012 5:47 a.m.

Yeah, beat me to it. A lot of people target Ubisoft deliberately because of their DRM. I'm not saying that makes right, but if they insist on deliberately provoking the internet hate-machine, they have to live with the consequences.
  • Malakie - August 22, 2012 5:49 p.m.

• onetimebuster - August 22, 2012 3:57 p.m.

The more they fight piracy the more people they will piss off becuase the ones who buy the games are the ones being screwed
  • dcbernman - August 22, 2012 1:41 p.m.

Back in high school I pirated... oh... maybe half my games or more. In college, it actually feels way better to go back and buy those games I pirated (except for Baldur's Gate because I'm getting pretty excited about the enhanced version coming out soon... would that count as a legitimate way to support them?), and, well, to buy games off the bat. If you want to try a game, ask a friend or try the demo, read some reviews, do some actual research, hell, even watch an LP series. Stealing now leaves a really sour aftertaste, and anyone who loves to pirate games and other media such as music, films, and shows for your stereotypical reasons hasn't done an honest day's work in their life.
  • CrashmanX - August 23, 2012 8:33 a.m.

Pirating cause you can't afford it is completely understandable in my book. If you make people happy enough with your game and you continue to produce good games they'll come around to actually purchasing one when they can afford it. As far as Demos go, sadly there's less and less of those these days and you can do all the research you want, but it's just not the same as actually playing it yourself.
  • FoxdenRacing - August 22, 2012 12:41 p.m.

I smell burning pants. There's exaggeration, conveniently-massaged statistics, or something else at play here.
  • Bloodstorm - August 22, 2012 12:32 p.m.

Maybe their piracy rate is this high, but they are known for having such game crippling DRM methods, that even legitimate buyers have to seek out pirated copies to circumvent it.
  • FoxdenRacing - August 22, 2012 12:50 p.m.

Guilty as charged, but not with anything recent and/or Ubi; I went 7-8 years without a decent gaming PC. I have zero qualms cracking a game I paid for if its DRM decides to say "I don't care if there's a receipt in your hand, you can't play this!" I also have no qualms cracking a game I've paid for that won't let me mod its singleplayer modes [especially true for RTS games, where a lot of life can be breathed into it by making your own maps, units, factions, or the like]. Multi is sacred and I won't touch it except for one specific case: running a server that everyone has that mod on [such as the HaVoC mod for Tribes, way back when].
  • KnowYourPokemon - August 22, 2012 5:13 p.m.

Exactly, I mean for me to just start up Assasson's Creed Brotherhood it needs me to first start up steam, then wait for UPlay to start up, and then wait for Uplay to finally start AC... really? All that just to start up a damn game when the people who pirate your game get none of this crap
  • BladedFalcon - August 22, 2012 12:21 p.m.

GOES TO SHOW HOW EFFECTIVE THEIR DRM METHODS ARE! RITE GUISE!!!????
  • db1331 - August 22, 2012 1:49 p.m.

Their DRM is highly effective. At screwing over people who bought the game.