• Evanesco - March 12, 2012 6:54 p.m.

Nothing will ever make me cry as hard as Shadow of the Colossus. That whole game just felt sad in a very strange, incredibly subtle way. The ending was just a huge capstone on a coffin made out of fur and black sand. Totally unexpected.
  • OD-Apache - March 12, 2012 6:50 p.m.

Once you get past the utterly contrived plot holes and devices, Mass Effect 3's ending just...once it sunk in, it haunted me. Just the absolute finality of it all. Sure, if the song at the end, "An End Once and For All", was absent the scene would most likely fall entirely flat...but I finished the game a few days ago, and I listen to that song at least once a day...It's all I think about, it literally effected me. My friends even noticed. That one song just portrays every single emotion to what the end of Mass Effect evokes, and should. Nothing has ever done this to me. I've lost relatives...I've read a Song of Fire and Ice...I watched Will Smith kill his dog in that zombie movie...but I just feel like an asshole because, this hit me so much worse than any of those things...I feel like an asshole because a video game shouldn't do this to me, shouldn't it? I don't know if that's just how profound it's all been. And I don't shut myself in, I go outside, play sports, have a large loving family that I spend most of my time with, but Mass Effect was one of those things that I've fallen in love with since the beginning. ...I'm rambling. But this shit is fucking haunting me, and I can't tell if it's in a good way or bad. I loved all 99.9% of it, but the last 10 minutes completely changed my outlook on the series. Either way I'll remember it for the rest of my life. Just goes to show how profound it's all been. On this fan, at least.
  • rob619 - March 12, 2012 6:44 p.m.

No Metal Gear Solid 3/4? No, Heavy Rain?! Come on, its like you left them out just so the comments section will fill out :(
  • xarab4lyfex - March 12, 2012 6:14 p.m.

Nobody mentioned Persona 3? That game was crazy sad. Also MGS as a whole has really depressing moments, especially 4. Also a shoutout to Phoenix Wright Trials and Tribulations. The ending of that game was pretty sad too. Lastly, any really good game, because it's always sad to see a good game end.
  • Cyberninja - March 13, 2012 2:39 p.m.

I mentioned it Persona 3
  • forestfire55 - March 12, 2012 6:09 p.m.

Fallout 3 made me sad actually, when you look endlessly for your dad, you finally found him, he asks for help and kills himself to protect what he loves most, and then you do the same in his footsteps using the Bible verse he told you as a child about your mom who died at childbirth. That and mgs4 are the only games i have actually cried over...
  • OmgBBQ - March 12, 2012 5:41 p.m.

Red Dead Redemption was a bad one. A dirty, rotten murderous sonofabitch who just wanted to be right and get his family. He didn't even care about himself, just his wife and child. But the sad part wasn't when John died, the saddest part was when Jack (his son) and John's wife were sitting at the grave of John, who had finally gotten his family back only to be brutally murdered by the people he had helped, and time jumps forward ten or fifteen years later and you see Jack sitting at their grave as a man. The worst part was that he never had a dad, and just when things were so bad, his father came back. Things were still bad and awckward, but everything seemed like it'd be okay. Then they took it all away, and JAck had to take care of his mom untill she passed, all while having to teach himself how to be a man and not be like his dad, who was a murdering thief, but a good man deep inside. The struggle of accepting who your father was, and wanting to love him without being like him all while he left you a long time ago is a heart-wrenching thing to go through, especially when you see the son as a cold, bitter, lonely man.
  • QLev - March 12, 2012 5:23 p.m.

Just another vote for Red Dead Redemption. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't played it yet (which you really should have by now), but
  • hobonateor - March 12, 2012 5:01 p.m.

Crisis Core made me allot sadder then FF7 did... I really liked Zack
  • bass88 - March 12, 2012 5 p.m.

I was hoping you included Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. I almost cried my eyes out at the ending. I just wanted to hug all my loved ones and appreciate every moment with them. Dr. Kaufmann's line is perhaps the truest statement on death ever: "He wasn't a white knight. He was a human being. You never knew him and you never will." I found the ending to Alice: Madness Returns somewhat depressing too. *SPOILER* She murders the doctor to save the children from being molested and raped. However, nobody knows the truth so Alice is sent back to the asylum and lobotomised. She then spends the rest of her days in her own idealised image of London - unless McGee does a third game. *END SPOILER* Other than Silent Hill 2, Planescape: Torment, God Of War: Chains Of Olympus and Red Dead Redemption, I don't think I get upset by videogame. Videogames' attempts at drama usually come off as forced (Metal Gear Solid, Mass Effect, GTA4 for example).
  • EvidentDead - March 12, 2012 4:54 p.m.

Tidus fading away after saving the world was extremely sad. "Welp, we saved the world from the ultimate evil. Now to find true happin--whoops, the love of my life dissolved out of reality... guess I'll go turn into a stupid charlies angel treasure hunter now" And that's exactly what they did, and that's why FFX-2 is the saddest game ever.
  • angelusdlion - March 12, 2012 4:53 p.m.

I disagree with the inclusion of Gears of War on this list. yes, it was heartbreaking to see, but the blowing off of what should be a severely emotionally traumatizing scene made no sense tome. Yes, I'm aware they probably were going for the "internalize the pain cuz your a manly man" but it just came across as "Whelp, that's done.. just shot mah wife.. time to kick locust ass again.
  • BladedFalcon - March 12, 2012 4:48 p.m.

Definitely agree about To The Moon taking the first place. Specially because it IS a very damn sad and emotional game, yet the way it's handled, it never feels like it's too much or hammed in or completely depressing. The doctor's exchanges and whatnot help keep a balance so the game keeps you emotionally invested without getting TOO depressed or emotionally drained. I'm gonna go ahead and disagree about GoW2 though... That single scene aside, the game didn't really do drama or covey sadness all that well. And i mean, if you're gonna go with games that have a single incredibly sad, dramatic moment, a whole lot have FAR more powerful, sad moments than GOW2. Like, as many posters here has pointed out: MGS3, and I'd argue that not just the ending, there are several scenes even before that that are pretty touching and sad. Lastly... The impact of Aeris's death has sadly been rendered invalid in my mind since the bitch has pretty much appeared alive in every other FF7 spin-off that has appeared. What's the point of killing a character permanently if you're gonna whore her out later at every chance you get?
  • anthonybonales - March 12, 2012 4:41 p.m.

Kingdom Hearts always bummed me out. You spend all this time trying to save your two best friends and when you do they all are forced to go separate ways again. I can't even do it justice.
  • Nap1400 - March 12, 2012 4:29 p.m.

...Aerith's death again? Why do gaming sites obssess over that scene? Doing so pretty much ruins it for people that never got to play it and go back knowing that it happens. I know I'm probably not going to cry if I ever get the chance to play FFVII.
  • Jacko415 - March 12, 2012 4:16 p.m.

You missed the ending of Half-Life 2 Episode 2. Almost had me bawling.
  • gondarpwns - March 12, 2012 4:16 p.m.

Red Dead hands down
  • dougtulane - March 12, 2012 4:01 p.m.

By far the saddest game I have played is the text adventure 'Photopia.' To the Moon must have taken a lot of inspiration from this interactive fiction take on personal loss, told in a fragmented.
  • ThundaGawd - March 12, 2012 4 p.m.

The ending for Shadow of the Colossus was hands down the saddest moment I've ever experienced in gaming history, everything that happens directly before AND after the final Colossi just nutkicks your heart in the throat. Next to that, my runner up would have to be Legend of Dragoon, the scene where Lavitz dies trying to break his king out of prison. The sequence itself might not sound that bad, but Lavitz and Dart only meet each other in the beginning, therefore you had time to see their entire friendship evolve, and when he dies, you just don't know how to react for a while.
  • DrFunFrock - March 12, 2012 4 p.m.

I know it isn't a sad game per se (though it certainly has its moments) but the last game that made me cry was Dark Souls. First - Solaire's last words after you are suddenly and unexpected forced to kill him. Then again when poor Siegmeyer finally meets his end, in the mournful setting of Ash Lake of all places. The end of Limbo was weirdly sad as well...