Topics

Top 7

We Recommend

• TyeTheCzar - March 12, 2012 2:45 p.m.

I guess there's some sort of law preventing mainstream game sites from mentioning Katawa Shoujo. (And before someone claims that they aren't games, Visual Novels are an established genre in Japan, regularly appearing on game consoles) Whenever you go on 4chan or any forum about the topic, there's a 99% chance of conversations devolving into which scene gave players the most "feels." Like many of these games shown here, I'm not spoiling the stuff that goes down in it. You WILL want to get out a hankerchief at least once. And if you don't, you're either a Fox News lover, a pretentious columnist, or a soulless husk of a human.
  • jenovalife1 - March 12, 2012 2:44 p.m.

BOSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • LowPulp - March 12, 2012 2:43 p.m.

Only games I've ever cried while playing are Journey and Shadow of the Colossus. I think most games that stretch for sad "emotions" usually end up falling short and feeling forced. Someone died...boohoo. The emotion and delivery is rarely complex. I actually laughed at that Gears of War Maria death scene.
  • TyeTheCzar - March 12, 2012 2:42 p.m.

I guess there's some sort of law preventing mainstream game sites from mentioning Katawa Shoujo. [And before someone claims that they aren't games, Visual Novels are an established genre in Japan, regularly appearing on game consoles] Whenever you go on 4chan or any forum about the topic, there's a 99% chance of conversations devolving into which scene gave players the most "feels." Like many of these games shown here, I'm not spoiling the stuff that goes down in it. You WILL want to get out a hankerchief at least once. And if you don't, you're either a Fox News lover, a pretentious columnist, or a soulless husk of a human.
  • TyeTheCzar - March 12, 2012 2:41 p.m.

I guess there's some sort of law preventing mainstream game sites from mentioning Katawa Shoujo. [in before someone claims that they aren't games] Whenever you go on 4chan or any forum about the topic, there's a 99% chance of conversations devolving into which scene gave players the most "feels." Like many of these games shown here, I'm not spoiling the stuff that goes down in it. You WILL want to get out a hankerchief at least once. And if you don't, you're either a Fox News lover, a pretentious columnist, or a soulless husk of a human.
  • KaemosFZ - March 12, 2012 2:39 p.m.

Hello? Mass effect 3 anyone? Jesus.
  • kenjionigod - March 12, 2012 2:38 p.m.

Come on, No MGS 3? At the end of that game when I found out the details behind why the Boss did what she did and everything, I wanted to cry. Hell, even the final boss fight where the game actually makes you shoot her after a fairly sad cutscene.
  • talleyXIV - March 12, 2012 2:37 p.m.

Does this title seem redundant to anyone else? By the way: If you cried during Gears of War 2 it must have been because of a ridiculous love of 4 foot wide necks.
  • Piisuke - March 12, 2012 2:35 p.m.

I'm surprised at the lack of Shadow Hearts: Covenant. If you played the first Shadow Hearts, you already have to live with the fact that Alice died (developers took bad ending as canon) and then you get a scene in where you temporarily bring Alice back to life with Yuri being devastated at the failure whilst Karen in the meantime is devastated, because she is in love with Yuri herself. The emotional toll this game takes on you is hard. Even the ending, especially Karen's terrible faith is very hard to swallow and will bring the entire game into perspective. This was, beyond a shadow of a doubt, a very, very sad game, much sadder than one death of one character early in the game. I'm looking at you, Final Fantasy VII. If you're curious, look at this scene from Shadow Hearts: Covenant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JHAqlfGwyQ
  • rhubarbdoom - March 12, 2012 2:32 p.m.

The Minerva's Den dlc for Bioshock 2 had me a wee bit weepy at its conclusion. My gf, who hasn't played either Bioshock game, watched the end as i replayed it for her to see and she also cried a bit.
  • MrDobble - March 12, 2012 2:30 p.m.

Red Dead Redemption's ending was the saddest gaming experience I've ever had. Shed a tear for John Marston.
  • EHyundai - March 12, 2012 2:29 p.m.

wow these are short entries... what happened to the GR i love...
  • newarkd - March 12, 2012 2:28 p.m.

Dragon Age 2. I kept playing thinking this was all a tutorial and the real game was going to start any moment. and then sniff...it was all over
  • newarkd - March 12, 2012 2:27 p.m.

• Cyberninja - March 12, 2012 2:23 p.m.

persona 3 the ending is really sad and tear inducing
  • superduper93 - March 12, 2012 2:14 p.m.

FFX nuff said
  • boondocks50 - March 12, 2012 2:13 p.m.

grandia 2 made me sad
  • xXRaixterXx - March 12, 2012 2:09 p.m.

Yeah, RDR had a really sad ending, in my opinion, its sadness was better than some games in the countdown
  • ncurry2 - March 12, 2012 2:09 p.m.

Good list and all but I gotta ask, did you ever beat Little King Story? It's so damn heart wrenching and what makes it worse is the whole presentation is all cheery and bright but then you start to realize things and... it's just so terribly sad. Then again, I guess I can't count on many people having actually beaten it since only like 100,000 copies were sold and it was a surprisingly difficult game.